Recipes
It was suggested in another thread that we should have a recipe thread. A great idea.

Since it is Friday, I will submit the easiest recipe on the entire planet for fish-eaters.

1. Open a can of wild caught salmon. You can get the cheap stuff- it's fine. I usually pay less than a dollar for a 15 oz. can.

2. Dump it in a saute pan with a little (or alot) of butter. If you like, season it up with some Old Bay or another spice.

3. Heat through and put it on a plate.

4. Don't forget to say your prayers. [Image: prayer3.gif] 

5. If you don't care for it, offer it up and eat it anyway! The stuff is good for you!

[Image: fish.gif]

Wow!  What a great recipe!

I think a loss of simplicity in our kitchens is largely responsible for obesity.

My recipe:

3 cups cooked rice
2 cans beans of your choice with flavorings of your choice (ie bacon or jalapenos)
1 can diced tomatoes with flavorings of your choice(italian spices, jalapenos etc.)
1 small can extras if you like them (ie mushrooms, more jalapenos-yes I like it hot [Image: waytogo.gif])
1/2 stick of good-quality butter.
salt, pepper, spices (try a small amount of cinnamon for a sweet twist) to your taste.

After cooking the rice, I stir in the other ingredients while the rice is still hot, then heat the mixture a little longer.  If you're into getting your good natural fats, you might add a little olive oil with each serving.  This is my favorite thing to eat if my asthma is acting up.  The spices clear things up and the natural fats are good for coating the lungs.

My chicken and sausage jambalaya:
  • 1 box of chicken stock (You know that brand that sells it in boxes?  Get the big box)
  • 2 cups of tomato sauce.  "Classico" works very good...avoid bland sauces.
  • 2 cups of fresh diced tomatos
  • 2 cups of fresh diced onion
  • 2 cups of fresh diced celery
  • 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning
  • 2 pacakges of Hillshire Farms smoked sausage, skinless extra tender, sliced thin
  • 1 lb. of chicken breast, diced
  • 2 cups of uncle bens instant rice
Add all of the ingredients except the chicken and rice to a crock pot.  Cook on low for 5 hours.  Add the chicken and cook on low for another 2 hours.  Add the rice, and cook on low for 40 minutes.  Serve with some warm, buttered bread.

I can't even begin to explain how much I love this recipe.  Very good on a cold Saturday evening. [Image: waytogo.gif]

Is that it for the recipes?

I'd love to get ideas for cheap and healthy food from Traditional Catholics.  (Most of us are poor like me right?)
This is what I like for breakfast when we're not having eggs and toast.

Forget about over-priced cold cereals (either sugar-filled, or organic) and go with old fashioned porridge in the morning.  Buy the rolled oats for a little more nutrition than the instant (they only take a few more minutes to cook.) Throw some brown sugar and milk or cream in, or even a handful of raisins and you have breakfast that costs pennies.  Don't forget a pinch of salt.

You could also use cornmeal (I like whole grain, but you have to keep it refrigerated) and mix in some flax seed or other more expensive ten grain cereal (like Bob's Red Mill) to stretch it out.  My kids love this with a pat of butter and brown sugar.  Some people buy whole grains and mill their own- that requires a bit of an investment in a high quality mill.  I don't have a mill, but I do make my own baby cereal with a coffee grinder I have just for the purpose.  The coffee grinder isn't practical for large quantities, but it is good if you just want to add some flax or sesame to your cereal.

The left overs can be saved for the next day's breakfast, or mixed in with homemade bread.

If you really want cold cereal, then you can make your own granola- a little more expensive depending on what you put in it.  This isn't a good choice with lots of little ones though- it is too hard for them to chew.

Granola is very easy and there is no one right way to do it.  It depends on what you like or what you have on hand.  The staple is rolled oats.  Here's my recipe for granola that I never follow exactly, and always make in a double batch for my family of 7:

makes 9 cups

in three stages:
#1 Mix together,

4 c oats (instant or rolled)
1 c wheat germ
1/2 c bran flakes
1 c coconut (natural, or the sweetened kind, if you like)
1/4 sesame seeds (or I sometimes use flax meal)
1/2 t cinnamon
1/8 t salt
2 T oil

#2 warm (doesn't need to be hot, just warm enough to get it to blend) together in a separate bowl,

1/2 c honey
1/2 c apple juice
1/2 c brown sugar
2 t vanilla

#3 Chop and set aside,

2 c dried fruit (raisins, apricots, cranberries, etc.)
1 c nuts (pecans, walnuts, peanuts, etc.)

Stir #1 and #2 together and spread evenly on a jelly roll pan or some other kind of baking sheet with sides.  Bake in 300 F oven for about 25-30 minutes. 

Stir in #3 when you take it out of the oven, and set aside to cool.  Store in a container in the fridge.  It always goes fast in my house, so I just store it in the pantry.

AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:

It was suggested in another thread that we should have a recipe thread. A great idea.

Since it is Friday, I will submit the easiest recipe on the entire planet for fish-eaters.

1. Open a can of wild caught salmon. You can get the cheap stuff- it's fine. I usually pay less than a dollar for a 15 oz. can.

2. Dump it in a saute pan with a little (or alot) of butter. If you like, season it up with some Old Bay or another spice.

5. If you don't care for it, offer it up and eat it anyway! The stuff is good for you!

I guess I'll *have* to try the canned stuff, but I will definitely vouch that a slice of salmon sauteed in a chunk of butter is one of the finer things in life.

I'm definitely into simple foods prepared simply.   My brain is overwhelmed by anything else ;-)

-Matt-
I could use a little help trying to come up with a meatless, dairyless, eggless dish to make for the Redemptorists who are preaching a mission at my chapel. They are abstaining for advent.

I'm thinking a red bean and rice dish. All the recipes I have found have meat in them, which I can easily leave out, but what is a good way to keep the rice from getting sticky. Should I mix it all together? I don't know if they will have to reheat the stuff or not, so I'm not even sure whether or not to cook the rice.

As you may have guessed, I haven't tried a recipe quite like this before. [Image: glasses.gif] I have made black beans and rice, but I didn't have to take then anywhere.
Here's a red bean and rice dish from Saving dinner

Vegetable cooking spray (I use non-aerosol pump)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 16 oz cans red beans, drained and rinsed
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/4 tsp hot red pepper sauce
3 cups hot rice
Sliced green onions (optional)
Hot pepper sauce (optional)

Prepare rice. Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add red beans, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ground red pepper and hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until thoroughly heated. Serve beans over rice. Top with green onions and serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:

I tried your recipe but also added a 15 oz can of artichoke hearts!  It's so delicious I'm going to have it for dinner every Friday.

Thanks for the awesome idea!