Need Chili
I need a good chili recipe ASAP. Nothing too fancy, and it can't have any meat but ground beef.
I just sort of throw mine together with what all is in the house.:smile:

Saute an onion, saute the ground beef, throw it all in the crock pot and let it go for hours, like all day. Add chili or chili powder, red wine, canned chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and sometimes any other canned beans for a little variety.... sea salt, ground pepper, sometimes leftover steak cut in cubes...

Do you like veggie chili? I love this, but I'm the only one here in my home that really does.

Edited: Oh, yeah, I knew I was missing something here. A little sugar, sauteed garlic, a bay leaf....

Edited edited: Tabasco on the side, to taste.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.

I have a recipe in which you don't even have to saute everything first - just toss it all in the pot  - meat, crushed tomatoes, peppers, onions, chili powder, canned tomatoes, canned beans, cumin, salt, pepper, etc. 

3 cans kidney beans

1 large can crushed tomatoes

1 can tomato paste

1 clove garlic

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1 tsp salt

1 tbs pepper

1/3 cup chili powder

1 tsp cumin

1 large onion, chopped up

1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)

Put all in pot, stir frequently, cook for a couple of hours.  Add water if it seems too thick.

Christina

I'll buy frozen chopped veggies to make it easier.  My recipe calls for chopped onions and chopped bell pepper, but I sometimes just use the trinity blend already chopped from the freezer (I figure what difference does it make to add celery)

Here's my recipe:

2+ lbs ground beef
2 bell peppers (chopped)
1 large or 2 small onions (chopped)
(or sub 2+ cups chopped frozen trinity mix for pepper and onions)
28-30 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
14-15 oz can tomato sauce
Chopped chilis or canned jalapenos, or whatever you got to taste(optional)
6 tbsp Chili powder (or more to taste - I just palm the measurements)
A few dashes of Cayenne pepper
2 tsp dried/crushed basil
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
1 tsp pepper (more or less to taste - I like white pepper)

Saute chopped veggies in a scant amount of butter or oil of your choice.  Once they're sweating pretty good, add the ground beef.  Brown beef long enough to have it crumbled to your liking(you don't have to cook it all the way).  Add everything to crock pot and cook on low 5-6 hours or longer, or on high for 3 hours.  If you are adventurous like me, you can sweeten it up with a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, or even more to taste.  I really like the flavor that cinnamon gives it but my husband doesn't so I don't add it anymore :(.  I also sometimes add some cajun pepper blends to my chili, depending on how hot I want it.

If you've got coriander, it gives it a nice bright limey-note.
Easiest chili ever- ground beef, pinto beans, and as much salsa as it takes to turn it into chili.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Why make it when you can go to the nearest skyline[Image: shrug.gif]
Satori Wrote:and it can't have any meat but ground beef.
Seriously? Because turkey chili is awesome, give it a try.
Add a bit of Cumin to it.
ResiduumRevertetur Wrote:
Satori Wrote:and it can't have any meat but ground beef.
Seriously? Because turkey chili is awesome, give it a try.

We make chili with ground beef and chorizo. I don't know how to concoct any other kind.

I've left the chorizo out before and it was sad. Apparently that's where our chili gets all its flavor.