Need Chili
Chili would be great, right about now.  Brrr!
Texican Wrote:Chili would be great, right about now.  Brrr!

Wish I could dish you up a bowl of mine. I considered the advice about using bacon fat to cook the onions and decided to do this using sausage instead of bacon, then put the minced sausage into the pot with everything else. I sauteed celery and garlic as well, and added a smidge of olive oil. Then a whole lot of cans: three of pinto beans, two of crushed tomatoes, and two of hot green chiles. About a bag of frozen corn, and finally chili powder and cumin. Delish! 
Oh how I have waited for this opportunity, but alas I'm late and it needs Beef Chuck not ground, so since I'll probably never get another chance here it is ; Saloon Chili which has won awards twice.

5 lbs Chuck meat cut into 1.5x1.5 cubes trimmed for gristle but not all the fat.

2 large onions, in this order Red, Sweet or Yellow, peel and cut into 1.5x1.5 pieces.

Corn oil for browning the meat this ain't Spanish or American it's Mexican Indian

Mc Cormacks Chili powder Large bottle
I used to mix my own peppers but it isn't necessary, this is equal in quality.

I quart of Beef Stock or from the can if necessary.

2- 40oz. cans of Brooks Chili beans in chili sauce, they come hot or mild so you can have it hot or not.

Lawry's garlic powder, salt and coarse black pepper to personal taste.

In a large heavy stock pot about 20 quart in size brown off the meat in corn oil a batch at a time, transfer the meat to large bowl. When the meat is browned add the onions and corn oil as needed, cook stirring frequently, while adding about 1/2 the McCormacks Chili Powder, after the onions are starting to cook return the meat, until meat gains the temperature of the onions, then add the beef stock, stir check the flavor and add more chili powder as you think, when it comes to a boil, lower the heat, and cook until meat is really tender, add water if needed, then add the beans and cook until the mixture has melded, this about 20-30 minutes. 

Optional; cook 1lb of Barilla Pippette as on the box, serve with the chili.
Mmmm ... sounds good, Timoose! I'll try that the next time I have non-ground chuck.

I've never heard of Brooks Chili beans. If I can't find that brand, what can I substitute with? I'm not much for using recipes that require specific brands.
Jacafamala Wrote:
miss_fluffy Wrote:We had leftovers too... Chili! LOL

I put mine on a dog, hubby put his on some fritos.

You know, I think that hot dogs and chili are wonderful together.
They're so good.. I had another one today ;)
WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
antimodernist Wrote:Why make it when you can go to the nearest skyline[Image: shrug.gif]

Why go to skyline when you can eat dirt and poo?

Come on wrc, why do you have to be such a hater???
antimodernist Wrote:
antimodernist Wrote:Why make it when you can go to the nearest skyline[Image: shrug.gif]

I have no idea what you all are talking about. You can't get Skyline Chili where I live, and I had never even heard of the stuff till Paloma got her whacked-out pregnancy cravings.
Satori Wrote:
antimodernist Wrote:

I have no idea what you all are talking about. You can't get Skyline Chili where I live, and I had never even heard of the stuff till Paloma got her whacked-out pregnancy cravings.

Google a recipe for skyline chili and try it sometime. It is great. Some of the greatest chili on the planet. And do not listen to what wrc says about it.
Friday Three Bean Chili

Pre-soak two cups each great northern beans, pinto beans, kidney beans by putting them into boiling water and letting them roll around for a few minutes then turn off the water and leave them alone for an hour, then drain, rinse.

Get out your biggest pot and cover the bottom with a thin coat of oil and saute sweet onion and one large yellow onion until they're translucent.  Add two boxes Pomi chopped tomato and two boxes Pomi sauce, then a small can of tomato paste, and one small can of Spanish pimento.  Add the beans and about a quart of water.  Add black pepper, salt, crushed red pepper, cumin, to taste, and a couple of bay leaves. Let the whole mess bubble gently for about two hours or until the beans reach your preferred level of firmness and the water is gone.  If you get any foamy stuff on the top, skim it off. You can add a bag of Veggie Crumbles about an hour into it if you want extra protein. If you need garlic, make sure to add it at the end, but this tastes fine without it.

If you prefer a smoked taste, halve the crushed red pepper and instead sub chipotle powder.

Satori, as luck would have it the last time I made it I got Bush's Chili Beans and they worked pretty well. One more thing, the amount of beans versus the chili powder can be adjusted according to your family's preference, and in a pinch you can use ground chuck instead.The idea was to get out the Yankee in the dish and try to get close to the Mexican. I've also made a combination of grated Colby Cheese and Monterey Jack with jalapenos to melt on top in the zapper. The reason I use chili beans is kidney beans never cook enough and they have a husk, I used to make my own Frijoles Roja but these are just as good. Moi gusto