Presidential oath retaken
The Presidential oath was re-administered by Chief Justice Roberts to President Obama, just in case.

Two other presidents, Calvin Coolidge and Chester Arthur, have done the same in the past.

No bible this time. "The president said he did not have his Bible with him, but that the oath was binding anyway."

He used Lincoln's first...a man that launched an un-necessary war and mocked Christianity all his life, throwing in qoutes here and there to make electoral gains.

Sort of like GOP every 2-4 yrs does to get votes and then never,ever deliver.....
Jacobite Wrote:No bible this time. "The president said he did not have his Bible with him, but that the oath was binding anyway."

Some said the oath had to be retaken because the words were not properly spoken!  What nonsense! This reminds me of some Trads who complain the words of consecration are not done right at the New Mass therefore the Mass is invalid. Same mentality more or less.[Image: laff.gif]

Jacobite Wrote:No bible this time. "The president said he did not have his Bible with him, but that the oath was binding anyway."

The Bible is not actually a necessary part of the oath, but it's a custom. Theodore Roosevelt did not use one. John Q. Adams used a book of law instead of a Bible.

Did you know that President L.B. Johnson was actually sworn in on the pre-VII Roman Missal? Seriously. The oath was done on Air Force One after the assassination of President JFK, and someone just grabbed Kennedy's Missal, assuming it was a Bible.

A few early presidents, including George Washington, also kissed the Bible after making the oath.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:Did you know that President L.B. Johnson was actually sworn in on the pre-VII Roman Missal? Seriously. The oath was done on Air Force One after the assassination of President JFK, and someone just grabbed Kennedy's Missal, assuming it was a Bible.

Thanks for clearing this up; I (incorrectly) learned before that it was JFK who swore in using the Missal. (I also thought they were aware it was a Missal, and not just an oversight.)
ronyu02 Wrote:Thanks for clearing this up; I (incorrectly) learned before that it was JFK who swore in using the Missal. (I also thought they were aware it was a Missal, and not just an oversight.)

JFK was sworn in with an 1850 Douay-Haydock Bible that belonged to his family for several generations.

JFK Library.org Wrote:On display in the Museum is the Fitzgerald family bible brought from Ireland by President Kennedy’s forebears. A clerk of the U.S. Supreme Court held the large bible as John Fitzgerald Kennedy took his oath of office as 35th President of the United States on January 20, 1961.  The Bible is an 1850 Edition of the Douay English translation containing a handwritten chronicle of the Fitzgerald family from 1857 and including a record of the birth of John Fitzgerald Kennedy on May 29, 1917.

The only other time the Douay Bible was used in an inauguration was, of course, earlier this week for VP Biden.