Render unto Ceasar?
If the new President succeeds in a public funded bailout for the abortion industry or makes widespread use of public funds to pay for the abortions of others, is he not (in effect) forcing Catholics to choose between the sin of assisting others to get abortions or the crime of not paying one's taxes?

How does this work with our faith? Can someone enlighten me?

MJ

How many tax payers are there in the US? About 150 million? Out of those, how many are passionate pro-lifers? Passionate enough to refuse to pay their taxes? One half? One third? Let's just say that out of 150 million people, 5 million would refuse to pay their taxes, if everyone agreed to do it at the same time?
 I mean, you can't put 5 million people in jail. Or can you? In the past days, this very question is being asked all over the Internet. Most Christians are saying they would still pay their taxes. They would "render unto Caesar" because that's what Jesus said to do, and the Roman Empire endorsed all kinds of immoral and unethical practices.  - Lisa
Quote:the Roman Empire endorsed all kinds of immoral and unethical practices

It's true that abortion in the Roman Empire was accepted and common. However, there were no state-funded abortions, just bread and circuses.

An important distinction that makes our situation today very different.
This is a debate that needs to happen. Let's see some Catholic Action already! If Catholics refused to pay taxes, which will inevitably fund baby killing, the US government would grind to a halt. Who will be the new Mattathias Maccabee?
"Everyone who has zeal for the law and maintains the testament, let him follow me!"

BTW, the Federal Income Tax is an illegal tax.

Check out: America Freedom to Fascism - http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=freedom+to+fascism&emb=0&aq=1&oq=freedom+to+#q=america%20freedom%20to%20fascism&emb=0

Gabriel Wrote:
Quote:the Roman Empire endorsed all kinds of immoral and unethical practices

It's true that abortion in the Roman Empire was accepted and common. However, there were no state-funded abortions, just bread and circuses.

An important distinction that makes our situation today very different.

Well how about state-funded temples and statues to the pagan gods?  I think this was part of the Jews concern over paying taxes to the Romans.  Objectively, this would probably be just as grave (if not more) then our government funding abortions.
The government funds numerous immoral endeavors. If it's not abortion, there's likely some other nefarious scheme being funded with your tax dollars. I don't believe we have any obligation whatsoever to withhold taxes and risk jail.

And the federal income tax is not illegal. That's tinfoil hat stuff. Seriously.
DrBombay Wrote:And the federal income tax is not illegal.
Where is the law saying one must pay Income Taxes? Good luck finding it.

There are plenty of legal taxes, but the Federal Income Tax is unconstitutional.
FWIW, I have a true story of a diocesan priest. He refused to pay his federal taxes because his tax dollars were funding abortions in military hospitals. He was threatened. A big controversy ensued. His archbishop pleaded with him -- explaining that he would either pay his taxes or pay the consequences -- go to jail. But the priest had an alternative.  He said: Archbishop, how about if you don't pay me? The archbishop said: Work for nothing? Okay. No salary for you.And the priest never received another paycheck. I know, I know.. he's a priest (now deceased, btw). And he was just one man. And his salary was small. He had a rectory to live in.. His parishioners were more than happy to mend his clothes and cook his meals. The laity couldn't get away with that. But it would still be interesting to see what would happen if 5 million people didn't pay their taxes this year.  - Lisa
Credo Wrote:

There are plenty of legal taxes, but the Federal Income Tax is unconstitutional.

Congress has the power (authority) to enact taxes.

The way to do this is quietly. Spread the message, but don't attract attention. Not that it matters, the dollar will collapse this year, as will our government.
Credo Wrote:

It's called the 16th amendment to the US Constitution.