Springform Pan
Satori Wrote:Can you still buy waxed paper in ordinary grocery stores like Kroger? I haven't seen it around, but then again, I wasn't looking. So what do you do with it? Do you cut out a round of paper and place it in the bottom of the pan? I don't like pleating the paper; I end up with wrinkled cake.

I guess that you can.  I haven't had to buy any, in a while.

I normally placed a piece of it on the bottom of the pan, then placed the band on that, pinching the paper between the band and base, then cutting the left-over paper, leaving only a small amount around the pan.

Another thing, after a while, I stopped putting the pan in another pan full of water, instead, I placed a pan of boiling water on the rack below the cake, relying on the steam for moisture, to prevent the cake from cracking.  You may want to try that, too.

Good luck with your cakes!

Roy
Waxed paper and even parchment paper should still be available in most major grocery stores. Cutting out a round works pretty well; just trace around the bottom of the pan so you know how big to make it.

You might try a ganache recipe for the icing. My friend has a good and simple one that I'll post as soon as she can send it to me.
Chocolate Ganache:

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup heavy cream

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. At the same time in a separate pot, heat cream until it's just steaming. Combine cream and chocolate and whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly before using. Store in the fridge and reheat when needed.
piabee Wrote:Chocolate Ganache:

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cup heavy cream

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. At the same time in a separate pot, heat cream until it's just steaming. Combine cream and chocolate and whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly before using. Store in the fridge and reheat when needed.

Thank you. That sounds idiot-proof (although don't any of you underestimate me).

If your springform pan leaks, toss it and get a new one.

I've got a killer recipe for a rich dark chocolate tarte.  it's work but it's great.  I'll post the recipe when I am back in town.