Best of Fisheaters Sandwich recipes
LaRoza Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:Those are my favorite though i feel guilty eating them while pregnant because I have to really try to get protein in at every meal.

Case to consider, a cow eats only plant matter yet has a calf that is much stronger than a human baby and grows much faster. (Also, where did ResiduumRevertetur think milk is made? In vegan animals)
[Image: laff.gif] I know that! I'm older than four [Image: wink.gif]. It's still a convenient source of protein and a cold glass tastes great to a lot of pregnant mommies, especially at 2 or 3 in the morning (okay, maybe that's just me).
LaRoza Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:Those are my favorite though i feel guilty eating them while pregnant because I have to really try to get protein in at every meal.

Protein is a chain of amino acides. All essential amino acids are found in plant matter. Don't be deceived by labels. Protein has to be broken down to be used.

Case to consider, a cow eats only plant matter yet has a calf that is much stronger than a human baby and grows much faster. (Also, where did ResiduumRevertetur think milk is made? In vegan animals)
Vegan women suffer from pre-eclampsia during pregnancy more than any other group.
timoose Wrote:For breakfast;
Very good Italian bread like filone or rusticano, sliced on an angle to make longer slices. Butter the bread add Swiss Cheese, and sprinkle with coarse salt, then place in roasting pan in pre-heated 400 deg. oven. and bake until bottom is toasted and top is melted. Serve with Prosciutto d' Parma, Sopressata, and Genova Salame from Volpi in St. Louis.
a real Italian American hybrid and mmm good. A good drink if it's Saturday is Strong Black coffee, sugar, a twist of lemon and Grappa for taste.  
Damn that sounds good.........
This thread is right up my alley.
And for Fridays....
Mix one package of cream cheese with 1tsp of lemon juice, canned crab meat, and thinly chopped celery to make a sandwich spread. Spread over slices of bread and add smoked salmon to the top. Grind some black pepper over it, and top with some more bread. Serve with the appropriate white wine.
Anastasia Wrote:And for Fridays....
Mix one package of cream cheese with 1tsp of lemon juice, canned crab meat, and thinly chopped celery to make a sandwich spread. Spread over slices of bread and add smoked salmon to the top. Grind some black pepper over it, and top with some more bread. Serve with the appropriate white wine.

That sounds really good.

I have a really good coupon for canned crab meat too which i've been wanting to use (I'm really cheap and I'm a coupon nerd) but I didn't know what the heck to do with canned crab meat...other than make stuffed mushrooms (which also requires the use of cream cheese. You've given me an idea...crab stuffed mushroom sandwich!)
miss_fluffy Wrote:Vegan women suffer from pre-eclampsia during pregnancy more than any other group.

That is false.

http://mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochra...frame.html

I would also like to point out the indications of pre-eclampsia are pointing towards individual nutrients. It is perfectly possible to be malnurished on any diet and it is the responsibility of all people to make sure they are eating properly. A "vegan" diet can also just mean eating junk food with no animal stuff in it. A healthy diet, vegan or otherwise, won't have that problem.

Also, if you want to play the blame game, I'd take a typical vegan diet over mainstream anyday: http://library.thinkquest.org/C004833/health_en.shtml

LaRoza Wrote:
miss_fluffy Wrote:Vegan women suffer from pre-eclampsia during pregnancy more than any other group.

That is false.

http://mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochra...frame.html

I would also like to point out the indications of pre-eclampsia are pointing towards individual nutrients. It is perfectly possible to be malnurished on any diet and it is the responsibility of all people to make sure they are eating properly. A "vegan" diet can also just mean eating junk food with no animal stuff in it. A healthy diet, vegan or otherwise, won't have that problem.

Also, if you want to play the blame game, I'd take a typical vegan diet over mainstream anyday: http://library.thinkquest.org/C004833/health_en.shtml

Some people do well on a vegan diet, others do not. Not everyone is the same.

I do well on a mostly vegetarian diet (can't do vegan, I've tried) but when I'm pregnant, my body chemistry/metabolism changes and I require a lot more animal protein to feel well.

I eat a lot of non-animal based protein normally: beans, ezekiel bread, sprouted chickpeas, tofu, etc. But I listen to my body if my body says, "you need cheese/chicken/fish/red meat/yogurt right now."

I know you'll disagree but maintaining a well balanced vegan diet is difficult for the average person.
One of my favorites is a good way to use leftovers. When you have leftover Chicked Fried Steak (Homemade is best), slice the leftovers into thick strips and lay on a nice crusty French roll or sub with Mayo. Top with Swiss cheese, sliced tomatoes, lettuce leaves and pickles if you so desire. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Or lay Avocado slices on slices of bread (Italian is wonderful) and cover those with Havarti cheese. (It's fun to try different flavors of Havarti also like Dill.) Broil until deliciously melted.

One day, I will be super adventurous and make a homemade Muffaletta. I think those are my favorite sandwiches in the world. :eats:

Paloma Wrote:I have a really good coupon for canned crab meat too which i've been wanting to use (I'm really cheap and I'm a coupon nerd) but I didn't know what the heck to do with canned crab meat...other than make stuffed mushrooms (which also requires the use of cream cheese. You've given me an idea...crab stuffed mushroom sandwich!)
You can make crab dip.  Which...also requires the use of cream cheese.  This is one of my favorites.
Two favorites, both with buttermilk biscuits:

A.  Buttermilk biscuit, halved.  Take some leftover country ham (cooked), slice finely, top biscuits with ham.  Top with red-eye gravy.

B.  Buttermilk biscuit, halved.  Spread to taste (thicker is better IMO) with fresh home-made pimiento cheese.

And a 'special' for the tea party:

Sweet biscuits (sweetened shortbread Southern type).  Halve.  Mix 1/4 cup of butter with 2 cups confectioner's sugar.  Add chopped candied cherries to taste.  Let sit in refrigerator, covered, at least 3 hours. Spread on biscuits.  Especially good with rose or vanilla tea.