Best of Fisheaters Sandwich recipes
Tantum ergo you jogged my memory.
Open faced ham and egg on english muffin with goldenrod sauce;
Hard boil as many eggs as desired, cool, peel, halve and remove their yolks.

Grate the yolks and hold on side, make a roux, add milk, then the grated egg yolks and cook until thick and smooth, add the lemon juice.

Fry proportionate amount of ham off the bone sliced thickly in a skillet.

Toast the english muffins, and butter each,add the ham on each muffin, then the egg white and pour the goldenrod sauce all over each.  
timoose Wrote:Tantum ergo you jogged my memory.

Grate the yolks and hold on side, make a roux, add milk, then the grated egg yolks and cook until thick and smooth, add the lemon juice.

Toast the english muffins, and butter each,add the ham on each muffin, then the egg white and pour the goldenrod sauce all over each.  

That's eggs benedict, timoose.

Another simple goodie is this: Take two slices of hearty bread and butter one side of each lavishly. (Use real butter.) Spread with mustard and any kind of cheese you like; add pickle relish and two split hot dogs. Stick it all in the George Forman grill till the cheese is melty and the dogs are sizzling.

And for when you don't have a lot of food in the house: Peanut butter and brown sugar. Or just butter, lots of it, on white bread with a sprinkling of white sugar.
Oh, Satori, that reminds me of the "fairy bread" my mom would make for us: white buttered bread with those multi-colored sprinkles. Probably contributes to childhood obesity, but it tastes great!
[Image: gimmefood.gif]

This thread made me super-hungry....but isn't eating tasty food a sin?

Satori, Eggs Benedict are made with Canadian Bacon, Poached Eggs, and
Hollandaise sauce. Which is made with raw egg yolks in a bain-marie. It is too difficult to make for most, ergo Eggs Goldenrod.
timoose Wrote:Tantum ergo you jogged my memory.

"make a roux..."

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "roux"?
Basically, it's fried flour.  It's a technique to thicken a soup or sauce.
More specifically, it's flour tossed around in a skillet with butter to make a paste, like the beginning of white sauce.

Oh, I remembered another one that my mother used to make for me to take to school: You drain a can of tuna fish and mash it up with very soft cream cheese and pickle relish, then spread it on whole wheat bread. I loved it.

Even better was the sandwich spread my grandma made by grinding up cold leftover pot roast with sweet pickles, then mixing it with lots of mayonnaise. She used one of those old-fashioned meatgrinders that hooks onto the edge of the kitchen table, but I reckon you could do it with a food processor. All of her grandchildren devoured this with greed.
timoose Wrote:Satori, Eggs Benedict are made with Canadian Bacon, Poached Eggs, and
Hollandaise sauce. Which is made with raw egg yolks in a bain-marie. It is too difficult to make for most, ergo Eggs Goldenrod.
I cheat and use Hollandaise sauce from a packet and instead of poached eggs I fry them using an egg ring so they're round. Smoother it with enough store-bought Hollandaise and it tastes the same to me [Image: biggrin.gif].
timoose Wrote:Satori, Eggs Benedict are made with Canadian Bacon, Poached Eggs, and

We make Eggs Goldenrod all the time. You can also sub tuna for the egg and make Creamed Tuna on Toast.