Best of Fisheaters Sandwich recipes
Here I go, posting about food, again...

The muffaletta wins, there's no contest!  [Image: gimmefood.gif]

I liked making mine with a Neo Tuscan Boule, from Ecce Panis (available at my local grocery store, when I'm home).  On this, I would add, in layers, olive salad, mortadella, Genoa salami, provolone, ham, then some mozzarella, followed by a little (a relative term) more olive salad.

For the olive salad, you'd need some pimento stuffed olives, juliened carrots (coarsly chopped), pickled cauliflower (or, take the easy way out, and use some Italian giardiniera, instead), extra virgin olive oil, some capers, chopped garlic,  Kalamata olives, if available, a little lemon juice, a little dried oregano and basil, and some ground black pepper.  A little bit of onion, wouldn't hurt, either.   Salt is usually not needed, because of the stuffed olives.
Also, this salad should be prepared at least a few days ahead of time (a week would be better), to let the flavors blend.

In lieu of a muffaletta, a Cuban sandwich (used to live close to Ybor City, FL) will do, too [Image: smile.gif]

Roy

Now, I'm hungry... [Image: doh.gif]

I forgot to mention my favorite breakfast sandwich, baked beans on toast.
I actually don't like sammiches. There's something rather modernist about the whole idea. Unless it's the Earl of Sandwich we're talking about.
Okay,Okay, now I'm getting into it.
My family had saloons and restaurants. In the late 50's and early 60's we had two BBQ places. McKinley Bowman was the chef, but he came from Kansas City, ergo good BBQ. But us Ital-Americans taught him this, its a Chicago specialty, Italian Beef Sandwich. Remember it was a restaurant not a home.
Break entire Round from the hind. Separate each muscle leave the suet on the meat, but remove any hairs or ink from stamp.

Take the bone which has been removed and smash it some to open it, place it and celery , onions, and garlic in a deep sided roaster, add water, and salt and pepper.
Cook in oven at 400 degrees, adding water until you've made a good dark beef stock.

With a boning knife stab each roast and place a clove of garlic in each slit. Season each piece with lots of salt and pepper. Roast using high temp. method. That is 18 minutes per lb. of roast. Start for 450 degrees for 30-45 mins to brown, the 350 degree for the remaining amount of time, remove and let it rest until it is cool.

Slice meat thin on a commercial slicer.
Re-heat stock and adjust the seasoning or add water if needed.

Cut real French bread not soft or sour-dough into 6" lengths and slice 3/4 through. Place beef in juice to reheat for a some seconds (do not put a lot or leave meat in juice it gets over cooked and falls apart). Place meat in French bread add some juice add hot giardiniere and eat several.  
timoose Wrote:McKinley Bowman was the chef, but he came from Kansas City, ergo good BBQ.

It's too bad that you can't get decent barbeque in Chicago.  The secret to good barbeque is good wood-- something that even a lot of accomplished smokers don't recognize.  It's just so plentiful around here.  Missouri hickory is the finest on God's green Earth.  The latitude, soil and water (it's got meth in it) make excellent smoking wood.  

It's like how you can't get good Texas style 'que (if such an imaginary thing existed) outside of Texas; mesquite just doesn't grow well this far north.  You kind of need the climate and the soil to make that bitter mesquite wood.  Mesquite grows in Kansas, but it's not the same.  The smoke isn't bitter, it's almost a sour smoke.  We've got to buy Texas mesquite if we want that flavor.

I suppose the corrolary applies to Memphis barbeque, though I won't touch the stuff because it's nasty.  Southerners can't tell the difference between butt and vinegar, so they'll stick their pork in either one.  Gross.

There's something to be said for smoking with applewood, but I like to pair it with something a little more dominant like hickory.  Apple is subtle enough that it needs a mild meat like chicken or maybe a pork tenderloin.
How to eat when you're broke or a bachelor; still my favorite sandwich:

light bread (you know, the sliced up dough in a sack that says Sunbeam or Mrs Worth or whatever regional name y'all have)
1 can Spam- I prefer the Hickory Smoked or wth it is
Jar o' mayo
Jar o' mustard
cheese (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
Sack o' Lays

Toast slices of dough to desired dehydration/burnt level and set aside to cool

cut slices o' spam to desired thickness with a cheese cutter and brown each side in a skillet- crispy/crunchy is my favorite

Place Spam on plate w/paper towel to soak up the x-tra grease.

Then:

Mustard on one slice of dehydrated dough, mayo on the other; hot sauce and cheese on the mayo side if so inclined

Place two strips of spam on mayo side of bread long ways, then two more strips of spam across the first two where there's no gap in the middle. Apply mustard'd slice of dehydrated dough on top, cut diagonally, grab a beer and a sack o' chips and go sit in front of the tube.

For consecutive sandwiches, toast bread as needed. Frying all the spam at one time is suggested.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the potato chip sandwich.
nicollette Wrote:Whatever happened to the simple tomato sandwich? I lived on these for my last pregnancy.

Two slices of bread, mayo, tomato slices and salt. :eats:

LaRoza, have you ever tried a raw sandwich? My dh and I eat raw though we aren't vegan. I love making cashew "cheese", topping it with various veggies and wrapping it up in a kale leaf.

This is best in August, with a tomata picked fresh from the garden.

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Nobody mentioned a Reuben yet? My guys here really like that...

Thousand Island dressing, Rye bread (thin), corned beef and melted Swiss cheese.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Okay I was looking through crab recipes this morning (thinking of Paloma's canned crab) and found this one. I've never made it, but it sounds just delicious.

ABC Sandwich

1/2 c. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. dairy sour cream
1 tbsp. lemon juice
8 slices bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled
1/4 c. finely chopped celery
1/4 c. finely chopped radish
8 oz. imitation crab, squeezed out
1 avocado, peeled & chopped
1 loaf quick rye bread or 1 unsliced loaf round rye bread
butter
Lettuce leaves
6 cherry tomatoes
Blend mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon juice. To half the mixture stir in bacon, celery and radish. To remaining mixture stir in crab meat, avocado and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut bread into slices (crosswise into 3 horizontal slices). Toast under broiler; spread with butter. Spread bottom slices with bacon mixture. Top with lettuce and middle slice of bread. Spread with crab mixture and lettuce. Top with remaining slice of bread. Insert skewers through tomatoes and into loaf from top to bottom. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6 servings.