Best of Fisheaters Sandwich recipes
Jacafamala Wrote:Nobody mentioned a Reuben yet? My guys here really like that...

Thousand Island dressing, Rye bread (thin), corned beef and melted Swiss cheese.

I love Reubens, but I always thought of them as sandwiches you buy from a deli, not sandwiches you make at home. Do you make them?

Anyone else here love sailor sandwiches?
Jacafamala Wrote:Nobody mentioned a Reuben yet? My guys here really like that...

Thousand Island dressing, Rye bread (thin), corned beef and melted Swiss cheese.

I love Reubens. You forgot the saurkraut. ;)

cathalex Wrote:How to eat when you're broke or a bachelor; still my favorite sandwich:

light bread (you know, the sliced up dough in a sack that says Sunbeam or Mrs Worth or whatever regional name y'all have)
1 can Spam- I prefer the Hickory Smoked or wth it is
Jar o' mayo
Jar o' mustard
cheese (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
Sack o' Lays

Spam is beautfiful. It's part of the reason I want to move to Hawaii. Any culture that embraces Spam the way the Hawaiians have gets a gold star from me.

My favorite part of my trip there 2 summers ago was laying on the beach in maui, slathered in Bain de Soleil Orange Gelee, drinking a mai tai, and eating spam musubis (which they sell/serve everywhere)

[Image: spam-musubi-thumb.jpg]

Mommie2Boys Wrote:ABC Sandwich

That sounds really good and I often have all those ingredients in my fridge.

We sometimes buy a huge pack of imitation crab from Costco just to use in one recipe and we're left trying to think of ways to use the rest. We'll try this next time.
Not that this has anything to do with sandwiches, but imitation crab is fantabulous on nachos and mushed up with cream cheese and horseradish as a dip for crackers.
Paloma Wrote:

I love Reubens. You forgot the saurkraut. ;)

cathalex Wrote:How to eat when you're broke or a bachelor; still my favorite sandwich:

light bread (you know, the sliced up dough in a sack that says Sunbeam or Mrs Worth or whatever regional name y'all have)
1 can Spam- I prefer the Hickory Smoked or wth it is
Jar o' mayo
Jar o' mustard
cheese (optional)
hot sauce (optional)
Sack o' Lays

Spam is beautfiful. It's part of the reason I want to move to Hawaii. Any culture that embraces Spam the way the Hawaiians have gets a gold star from me.

My favorite part of my trip there 2 summers ago was laying on the beach in maui, slathered in Bain de Soleil Orange Gelee, drinking a mai tai, and eating spam musubis (which they sell/serve everywhere)

[Image: spam-musubi-thumb.jpg]

Mommie2Boys Wrote:ABC Sandwich

That sounds really good and I often have all those ingredients in my fridge.

We sometimes buy a huge pack of imitation crab from Costco just to use in one recipe and we're left trying to think of ways to use the rest. We'll try this next time.
Oh yes, the saurkraut. How could I?

Also delicious is ham and cheese between two slices of whatever on the grill.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton

Why Poloma, did you say spam? Spam spam, spam, soam, soam, psam, spam, spam, wonderful spam, wonderful spam...

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Paloma Wrote:Or i like to make regular B.L.T.s but instead of tomato I use really thin slices of cored apples.

Fascinating.. I bet that's danged good.  My Irish-side Grandpa used to eat peanut butter and (crispy) bacon sandwiches (toasted bread), and they wree actually davoon.

DrBombay Wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "roux"?

I feel compelled to give you further information than what you've got already. The ratio of butter to flour is 1 TBSP flour per 1 TBSP butter. Melt the butter, making sure it's not browned. Add the flour and stir til it's cooked. Make sure the heat's not so high as to brown the butter, and not so low as to not cook the flour.

If you want to make a basic white sauce out of it, add one cup of milk when the roux is cooked. From there, you can add cheese for a cheese sauce, sausage for sausage gravy for biscuits, chicken and peas and a bit of sherry for Chicken a la King, parmesan and garlic and what not for Fettucine Alfredo, mix with chipped beef and serve over toast for "Sh** on a Shingle," etc. Just make sure to keep the ratios right and make enough for what you're adding and depending on how many you're feeding, etc. (1 TBSP butter to 1 TBSP flour to 1 cup milk).

Here's something the dago side of my family used to make. It's not a dago recipe, but it'll feed a lot of people and is easy and tasty in a non-schmancy, "real food" sorta way, I know no name for them, so will call them --

Cheap, Easy, Tasty, Dago-Side of Vox's Family Sammiches

1 can tomato soup, straight-up, no water/milk added
3 green onions, chopped
1 lb shredded cheddar
sliced jalapenos to taste, chopped
1 small can black olives, chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped

Mix everything together and spread on 24 split, dinner-sized HARD ROLLS (the kind you'd serve in a towel-covered bowl to accompany a Thanksgiving turkey). This type of roll is a must for the chewiness to go with the goo-iness. Reassemble rolls, wrap all in foil, and bake at 375 for 20 to 30 minutes. Count on at least 2 sandwiches per person.

Few sandwiches, aside from the aforementioned Reubens and B.L.T.s can beat the Hot Brown. Here's the original recipe from Louisville's Brown Hotel. These take some doing... DrBombay, note the roux one has to make here:

The Original Kentucky Hot Brown

2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
1 c. chicken broth
salt and pepper
1/4 c. grated American cheese (yes, American, though I'm thinking cheddar would be good)
4 slices toast made from white bread
4 slices baked turkey (or chicken), cut 1/4" thick
8 slices crisp bacon
4 TBSP grated Parmesan

Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour, and cook 3-5 minutes. Slowly ad broth, stirring. Bring to a simmer and let it thicken. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and cheese, and stir 'til cheese is melted.

Put toast on 4 oven-proof plates. Top with turkey, 1/4 c. sauce, 2 pieces of bacon, and 1 TBSP parmesan each. Broil til parmesan begins to brown.

My Mom used to mix cream cheese, chopped green olives, and chopped pecans, using a little of the olive juice for texture and flavor. These are rich and good. She also used to mix a can of tomato soup with a can of cheese soup (Campbell's variety) and heat up with the liquids called for. Then she'd pour those over toast and top with asparagus. Yummy.
Vox, your family sounds like a blast. :)
I should have explained "roux", but Vox rode in and saved me, thanks. Tomorrow being friday does anyone have egg salad sandwiches on the menu for lunch? You know hard boiled eggs smashed, a little chopped sweet pickle, mixed in mayo, or miracle whip, then smeared on white bread like Butternut or Wonder or Sunbeam. If my memory serves, they are extraordinary if made at five o'clock in the morning, wrapped in wax-paper, stuffed in a brown bag, dragged to school, left in your wet wool coat in the cloak room, then eaten at 12 o'clock at lunch, but never so appreciated by anyone, until they are sixty, and all the egg salad in the world can't replace that one made by your Mom. Hats off my Ladies.[Image: tiphat2.gif]  

Egg salad is really good made with eggs, mayo, and curry powder for spice.
DrBombay Wrote:Cheese Dreams. English muffins, slice of tomato, 2 slices mozzarella, bacon. Butter the muffins, grill lightly.

That sounds pretty good. I'll have to try that.