I like...muffins.
I like small muffins. Big ones just get too crumbly and messy. I hate complicated food and to me a normal size muffin from the convenience store is a pain. I dunno, that just might be me.
Ohhhhh yeah.......

[Image: 1348875458_85916e55f2_b.jpg]

Jacafamala Wrote:
introibo Wrote:

In an effort to save money and eat healthfully, I either make pancakes or muffins for breakfast probably 5 of 7 days a week.  So I have the basic muffin recipe kind of memorized...I vary it with spices, molasses, cocoa, fruit, or whatever.  I have been known to add chocolate chips on special occasions.

I don't use paper muffin/cupcake holders, so for me, the best convenience for this process is cooking spray.  I couldn't imaging having to hand-grease 24 muffin tins all the time.

Christina

Ah, you're a lady after my own heart. You can vary a basic muffin recipe in a thousand different ways once you start getting into it, right?

Have you ever tried those new flexi pans they sell? I love those, you don't have to line or grease anything.

Aren't those made of silicone?  Somehow when I hear that, I think "cancer."  Plus the idea of putting something of that material in the oven.....one hears of heat leaching out chemicals.  Maybe I'm paranoid.

Christina

introibo Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:
introibo Wrote:

In an effort to save money and eat healthfully, I either make pancakes or muffins for breakfast probably 5 of 7 days a week.  So I have the basic muffin recipe kind of memorized...I vary it with spices, molasses, cocoa, fruit, or whatever.  I have been known to add chocolate chips on special occasions.

I don't use paper muffin/cupcake holders, so for me, the best convenience for this process is cooking spray.  I couldn't imaging having to hand-grease 24 muffin tins all the time.

Christina

Ah, you're a lady after my own heart. You can vary a basic muffin recipe in a thousand different ways once you start getting into it, right?

Have you ever tried those new flexi pans they sell? I love those, you don't have to line or grease anything.

Aren't those made of silicone?  Somehow when I hear that, I think "cancer."  Plus the idea of putting something of that material in the oven.....one hears of heat leaching out chemicals.  Maybe I'm paranoid.

Christina

If you're paranoid this way, so am I. I will only cook in glass or ceramic, metal if I have to.
HK,
could you reduce the size of those muffins please?[Image: smile.gif]
They look lovely, but they're messing up the thread.

Silicone? Oh well, I never really thought about that. It is very convenient.....
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
I just bought a silicone pastry brush today! It's all red and pretty ...

But I'd never bake with it. Maybe I'm just overcautious.
I found some shaped silicone pans at the dollar store - holiday motifs.  We use them for our soap making experiments and for crafts (plaster of paris and Pam).  I'm a little weirded out about baking with them as well, but some of my friends swear by it. 
Here's the blueberry muffin recipe I use. I got it from allrecipes.com where it got realllllly good reviews. I like this recipe...

Blueberry muffins have a special place in my heart 'cause they're my Dad's favorite, and he has a story to go with his passion. When he and Mom (R.I.P.) were first married, she'd get up early in the morning and make him blueberry muffins. Then he'd go to work and gloat about it. Day after day he's brag at the law office about how he got to eat blueberry muffins for breakfast. After a couple of weeks, the honeymoon was over. He he goes to work and says nothing. "What'd you have for breakfast today, Frank?" Pops says, "Oh, shut up!" LOL 

Now Quis and I call all those things one was led to expect but didn't get in marriage "blueberry muffins." The occasional weekend trip to the sea? Having fires in the fireplace every night? Hour long back-rubs every day? "Blueberry muffins!" LOL Anyway, here's the recipe. It makes 16 big ones :

Blueberry Muffins

3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries

TOPPING:
1 cup sugar (or brown sugar!)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
Combine flour, sugar, salt and powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg sand enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together sugar, flour,  butter, and cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
VoxClamantis Wrote:Here's the blueberry muffin recipe I use. I got it from allrecipes.com where it got realllllly good reviews. I like this recipe...

Blueberry muffins have a special place in my heart 'cause they're my Dad's favorite, and he has a story to go with his passion. When he and Mom (R.I.P.) were first married, she'd get up early in the morning and make him blueberry muffins. Then he'd go to work and gloat about it. Day after day he's brag at the law office about how he got to eat blueberry muffins for breakfast. After a couple of weeks, the honeymoon was over. He he goes to work and says nothing. "What'd you have for breakfast today, Frank?" Pops says, "Oh, shut up!" LOL 

Now Quis and I call all those things one was led to expect but didn't get in marriage "blueberry muffins." The occasional weekend trip to the sea? Having fires in the fireplace every night? Hour long back-rubs every day? "Blueberry muffins!" LOL Anyway, here's the recipe. It makes 16 big ones :

Blueberry Muffins

3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries

TOPPING:
1 cup sugar (or brown sugar!)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
Combine flour, sugar, salt and powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg sand enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.

To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together sugar, flour,  butter, and cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

There's just something about a batch of fresh muffins hot out of the oven first thing in the morning, isn't that true, Vox? Also at tea time, when the children get home from school.

The crumb topping looks really awesome... Will try.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Jacafamala Wrote:There's just something about a batch of fresh muffins hot out of the oven first thing in the morning, isn't that true, Vox? Also at tea time, when the children get home from school.

Heck yeah! Muffins and quick breads in loaves are some of my favorite things. I make this ultra-good Orange Date Bread. Maybe I should post that recipe! I think I will... Anyone interested in it, look for it here soon...

Quote:The crumb topping looks really awesome... Will try.

If it's not too late, I shoulda modified that recipe (printed as I got it from AllRecipes.com) so that the crumb mixture is halved. It makes TONS more than you need...