I like...muffins.
K, here's the Orange Date Bread recipe... S'yummy!

Orange Date Bread

1 egg, beaten
2 TBSP butter, softened
1 c. sugar
juice of two oranges
1/3 c. or so boiling water
3 TBSP or so orange zest
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. chopped nuts (oecans or walnuts)
1 c. dates, pitted and chopped

Mix egg, butter, and sugar. Juice 2 oranges and put juice into liquid measuring cup, filling up with hot water to equal 1 cup total. Stir the liquid, the zest, and the vanilla into egg mixture.

Separately, mix flour, powder, soda, and salt. Stir in nuts and dates. Add to wet mixture and stir to moisten.

Pour into greased 9X5" pan and bake for 1 hour or so at 350 degrees F.
The Orange date nut bread looks fab, Vox. But do you think I can sub raisins for dates? No dates here in the house... I just bought a bag of pecans today and I'm gonna try it. It should make a nice change of pace for my kids because I just made banana bread 2x's this week-- had some old bananas to use up.

The brown sugar topping was a hit here. "These are the best muffins ever", is what I heard.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Jacafamala Wrote:The Orange date nut bread looks fab, Vox. But do you think I can sub raisins for dates? No dates here in the house... I just bought a bag of pecans today and I'm gonna try it. It should make a nice change of pace for my kids because I just made banana bread 2x's this week-- had some old bananas to use up.

I made banana bread earlier this week, too -- same reason: old bananas I didn't want to waste!  But I messed mine up by using 1/3 of the sugar called for. I must've been daydreaming or something and read my recipe card as "1/2 c." instead of "1 1/2 c." Doh! (I hope my little sister isn't reading this. That is SO something she would do and that I'd never let her live down. We like to torment each other that way LOL)

As to substituting raisins for dates:  I'd hate to steer you wrong, and I'm no pro (Nicollette, where are you?!), but I'm guessing it'd be fine. More than fine; I'm thinking it would be tasty -- "Orange Raisin Bread" - nice! (Hmmm.. what about plumping them a bit first by soaking them in boiling water for a few minutes? Would that add too much moisture? Any experts out there?) If you do the raisin thing and it turns out yummy, let me know! I can assure you of this, though: the original recipe is seriously good.

Quote:The brown sugar topping was a hit here. "These are the best muffins ever", is what I heard.

Aren't they nice?! I also made these this week - yesterday, actually (this thread got me thinking about them), and they were gone super-fast. ALL of them! In one day + one morning! Among five people! It's disgusting.
VoxClamantis Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:The Orange date nut bread looks fab, Vox. But do you think I can sub raisins for dates? No dates here in the house... I just bought a bag of pecans today and I'm gonna try it. It should make a nice change of pace for my kids because I just made banana bread 2x's this week-- had some old bananas to use up.

I made banana bread earlier this week, too -- same reason: old bananas I didn't want to waste!  But I messed mine up by using 1/3 of the sugar called for. I must've been daydreaming or something and read my recipe card as "1/2 c." instead of "1 1/2 c." Doh! (I hope my little sister isn't reading this. That is SO something she would do and that I'd never let her live down. We like to torment each other that way LOL)

As to substituting raisins for dates:  I'd hate to steer you wrong, and I'm no pro (Nicollette, where are you?!), but I'm guessing it'd be fine. More than fine; I'm thinking it would be tasty -- "Orange Raisin Bread" - nice! (Hmmm.. what about plumping them a bit first by soaking them in boiling water for a few minutes? Would that add too much moisture? Any experts out there?) If you do the raisin thing and it turns out yummy, let me know! I can assure you of this, though: the original recipe is seriously good.

Quote:The brown sugar topping was a hit here. "These are the best muffins ever", is what I heard.

Aren't they nice?! I also made these this week - yesterday, actually (this thread got me thinking about them), and they were gone super-fast. ALL of them! In one day + one morning! Among five people! It's disgusting.

Me, a pro? I think you've got me confused. LOL I'm far from experienced with bread making. I've never even made a banana bread (though I've got some bananas ripening for the job next week). As far as baking goes, outside of cakes and some tea breads I'm actually pretty clueless.

:afraid

I think subbing raisins for dates would be fine and plumping them a bit first shouldn't harm anything. I'd plump them in brandy or rum for good measure.

Raisins in brandy, oh that would be to die for--the bomb. You know, as it turns out I had to make a quick trip to the store this morning anyway, so I did pick up the dates........

So now I'm thinking.... do I do raisins or dates? Or maybe a loaf of each?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Jacafamala Wrote:Raisins in brandy, oh that would be to die for--the bomb. You know, as it turns out I had to make a quick trip to the store this morning anyway, so I did pick up the dates........

So now I'm thinking.... do I do raisins or dates? Or maybe a loaf of each?

Ohhh, in brandy -- nice!

As to your question: I vote for both! No, four so you can send me and Quis a loaf each, too!
All these raisins and Brandy and orange zest has me thinking about another desert type bread. Here's a recipe I found, looks like a ringed tailed snorter of a recipe. I had this once at a restuarant and it was sooo good. Maybe after Easter...

Jack Daniel's Bread Pudding

Ingredients:1 cup raisins
1/3 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
1 Tablespoon orange zest
7 cups cubed white bread, lightly toasted
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
Directions:Combine raisins, orange zest,and Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey in small bowl;soak about 20 minutes. Butter a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Place bread cubes in prepared dish. Whisk together eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir in milk and vanilla. Fold raisin mixture into bread cubes. Pour custard over all and let stand about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with nutmeg and dot with butter. Preheat oven to 375*F. Place in the center and bake pudding about 35-to-45 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or cool,drizzled with heavy cream if desired.

Makes 8 servings ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Vox's Orange Date Nut bread is in the oven currently. Smells fine here!
I used to make a similar bread pudding except that the Jack Daniel's was heated up with butter and sugar to make a sauce instead of going directly into the pudding. Haven't made it in years, though -- I'm now more interested in the various English versions of this dessert. But it was very popular with my dinner guests.
Satori Wrote:I used to make a similar bread pudding except that the Jack Daniel's was heated up with butter and sugar to make a sauce instead of going directly into the pudding. Haven't made it in years, though -- I'm now more interested in the various English versions of this dessert. But it was very popular with my dinner guests.
(Chomping on a piece of Orange Date Nut bread--which is really too good), Oooooooooh no dust on you, Satori!

Edited to add: but the whiskey'll put the baby to sleep![Image: wink.gif]
Put blueberries in pumpkin muffins. They are the absolute best!