I like...muffins.
oremus Wrote:Put blueberries in pumpkin muffins. They are the absolute best!
That sounds almost scandalous it's so unique.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
It isn't QUITE muffins, but I just found a recipe for banana cupcakes with peanut butter icing. I think I'm going to make them for a church supper.
Satori Wrote:It isn't QUITE muffins, but I just found a recipe for banana cupcakes with peanut butter icing. I think I'm going to make them for a church supper.
Wow, sounds like a kid-hit. Mine would love that. Just make sure to label them "peanut". It's amazing how many allergies there are to peanuts these days. I wonder why isa that?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Jacafamala Wrote:
Satori Wrote:It isn't QUITE muffins, but I just found a recipe for banana cupcakes with peanut butter icing. I think I'm going to make them for a church supper.
Wow, sounds like a kid-hit. Mine would love that. Just make sure to label them "peanut". It's amazing how many allergies there are to peanuts these days. I wonder why isa that?
I know -- you used to never hear about them. Serious food allergies and other auto-immune complaints are up, up, up. I'm not a medical person, but as to the nut allergies, I hazard a guess that it has something to do with the way we eat now. Maybe more artificial foods, more genetically altered foods, more pesticides, more sugar, more crap. Maybe it's causing people's bodies to overload. Maybe it's something to do with the way we feed babies. Perhaps a scientific person will come on here and give us a more educated opinion.

But I'm glad you said that about making a warning label about the peanut content. I wouldn't have thought of it, and I certainly don't want to kill anyone or cause a trip to the hospital. 
Sigh.. Great, now I have bread pudding on my mind. This forum is so dangerous...

Anyway, since Jacamafala didn't send me and Quis any of her goods, I had to make them myself. I did a double recipe of the Orange Date bread, but divided the batter in half before the "add the dates and nuts" stage, and in one half I added cinnamon and raisins, and carried on as usual with the other half. When they were baked, I put a glaze over the raisin one. Came out good -- but I didn't soak the raisins in brandy (got no brandy). So I ended up with a Glazed Cinnamon Orange Raisin bread, and it was good. Well, is good; still have a bit left. For a few minutes more.

Any more quick breads I should try? I need ideas...
VoxClamantis Wrote:Any more quick breads I should try? I need ideas...

Southern-style biscuits.
Satori Wrote:

Southern-style biscuits.

Or Red Lobster's cheddar bay biscuits.
antimodernist Wrote:
Satori Wrote:

Southern-style biscuits.

Or Red Lobster's cheddar bay biscuits.
With extra cheese and a hearty shake of cayenne pepper. Yes.

I just remembered another delicious quick bread that I got from one of James Beard's books ... his recipe for gingerbread. It's quite special -- rich, flavorful, not terribly sweet, and intended to be served sliced with butter rather than topped with whipped cream and eaten for dessert. I love gingerbread of all kinds, and this is one of my favorites:

Stir together 5 tablespoons of butter, 1 cup molasses, and 1/2 cup boiling water till well-mixed. (May microwave for a minute if butter won't melt.) Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add about 2 cups all-purpose flour and transfer to a buttered 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Bake at 375 till top springs back when you touch it.

Satori's note: I made it with slices of candied ginger on top. You can use light molasses, but I prefer the stronger taste of dark (although blackstrap would probably not be a good idea). Another good variation is to make it with one cup white flour and one of whole wheat. 
Oh, and if anyone's interested, I've got a recipe for the best scones I've ever tasted.

Every week I buy a bunch of bananas for smoothies, and every week we have some left over.  In the interest of preventing waste I've started collecting banana bread recipes.  Here's something a little different that I'll be making this week.  You can sub butter and regular yogurt for the soy stuff, natch.

Coconut, Lime, and Macadamia Nut Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy butter or margarine
1/8 cup canola oil
3-4 mashed bananas
1/4 cup vanilla soy yogurt
3 tbsp spiced rum
3 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Extra flaked coconut to sprinkle on the top of the loaf
1.    Preheat oven to 350F.
2.    Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3.    Cream together the soy butter/margarine and sugar with a mixer, then add the oil and mix until well combined.  Add in the banana, soy yogurt, rum, lime juice, and vanilla and mix until blended.  Add the flour mixture and mix at a low speed until just combined.  Stir in the coconut and macadamia nuts.
4.    Pour the batter into a 9×5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray and sprinkle the top of the loaf with the extra flaked coconut.  Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5.    Cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack before removing from pan.