I like...muffins.
[Image: muffincatwk1.jpg]
Definitely bring on the scones recipe, Satori! Yes! I am such a carb-fiend. Biscuits, scones, taters, yeast breads of all kinds -- that Atkins diet sounds like a complete and total HELL to me.

Frerejacques, the quantities in your recipe came out odd-looking on my browser (IE) -- and that bread sounds extremely tasty. If it's not too painful, could you re-post? I am trying my best to look like Muffincat... That adorable lard-ass reminds me of this cat Quis and I saw at the Seattle Humane Society. He was a HUGE creature named Mono, and he had all sorts of health problems. Quis and I ended up with kittens we came to name Rocky and Boots instead of Mono, but El Gordo stayed on our minds, so I called to see if we could come get him, too, but he was already adopted. Awwwwww! Here's Rocky and Boots, BTW. Note the perfect M's on their foreheads:

[Image: rockyandboots.jpg]

I have that picture on the FE page about creches because of the story behind tabby cats' forehead M's.

Scones? Scones! I just made two batches today. And when the children come home, they'll make short work of them. Lord, [Image: prayer3.gif]keep me away from the scones, oh I am going to be soooo fat if I don't watch it! But the children can afford it, they can eat and eat and stay skinny.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Jacafamala Wrote:Scones? Scones! I just made two batches today. And when the children come home, they'll make short work of them. Lord, [Image: prayer3.gif]keep me away from the scones, oh I am going to be soooo fat if I don't watch it! But the children can afford it, they can eat and eat and stay skinny.

I buy my scones in a little bag at Trader Joe's.  [Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif]
ErinIsNice Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:Scones? Scones! I just made two batches today. And when the children come home, they'll make short work of them. Lord, [Image: prayer3.gif]keep me away from the scones, oh I am going to be soooo fat if I don't watch it! But the children can afford it, they can eat and eat and stay skinny.

I buy my scones in a little bag at Trader Joe's.  [Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif]
Trader Joe makes nice deserts, in fact they make good everything. Great store.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Does anyone have suggestions on when to check the muffins/scones/tasty stuff if you ahve one of them ovens that doesn't really have a temperature identifier?  We have an old gas oven that you have to light with a lit napkin.
I've never been to Trader Joe's. What's it like?

But there's nothing like a hot-out-of-the-oven scone, and they don't keep particularly well. I'll post this recipe after my busy little toddler is in bed.
TiddleTer Wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on when to check the muffins/scones/tasty stuff if you ahve one of them ovens that doesn't really have a temperature identifier?  We have an old gas oven that you have to light with a lit napkin.

Gracious! I've never heard of lighting a stove with a napkin. Is it quite safe?

But absent the old school temp identifiers (i.e., "it's x degrees when you can hold your hand in the oven for x minutes before it becomes unbearable"), I suggest you get an oven thermometer. Everybody should have one in case his oven begins to act wonky anyhow.
Satori Wrote:Gracious! I've never heard of lighting a stove with a napkin. Is it quite safe?

If a gas stove lacks a pilot light, they have to be lit manually. We used matches to light the burners.
Vox and Quis's cats are squeal-inducingly cute but I'm not going to look too closely because I am potentially like that Octuplet Mom when it comes to cats. There's a kitty adoptathon every Saturday not two miles from here, and it would be just sooooo easy to get a matched set of tabby kittens (although perhaps not quite as adorable as those).  The dowager Persians currently reigning here would not be pleased!

I will edit the font in the last recipe I posted on this thread to make it legible and, since I'm here, let's add another.

This one is a favorite, and you can experiment with it.  I never use the egg, just increase the amount of the banana. If you do that you get a denser, heavier, chewy loaf which is good for breakfast.   One time I added trail mix instead of just nuts, and it turned into a tropical fruit cake - complete with rum and coconut cream glaze.  Another time I used pureed pineapple and added shredded coconut for a pina colada bread. 
Banana Bread (Pao de Banana)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 large bananas, mashed
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
1 tablespoon lime juice

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Mix all ingredients; beat 30 seconds. Pour into pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 70 to 80 minutes. Cool slightly. Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.

To store, wrap and refrigerate no longer than 1 week.

PS: Bring on the scones [Image: pig.gif]