1/2 teaspoon coarse salt or 1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup oats
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup buttermilk
melted butter

In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar. Then work in the butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives until the dough has the texture of oatmeal. Stir in the oats and raisins. Add the buttermilk, mixing just enough to moisten the dry mixture. Turn out onto a floured working surface and knead lightly for only 7-8 turns. Roll or pat dough out into a circle about 7 inches in diameter, then cut into 8 equal wedges. Transfer these wedges to an ungreased baking sheet and brush the tops with melted butter. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Recipe for Frere, for her banana bread recipe collection. This is completely different from any banana bread I have ever tasted, and sumptuously delicious. It makes great dinner rolls, too, by the way. I am not going to attempt vegan substitutions in my transcription because I have not tried them yet and know that you probably are an expert in doing that, anyway.

Banana Yeast Bread

2 (.25 oz.) packages active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water (110-115 F)
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup warm milk (110-115 F)
13 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add bananas, sugar, milk, butter, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Do not knead. Spoon into 2 greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Bake at 375 F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
TiddleTer Wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on when to check the muffins/scones/tasty stuff if you ahve one of them ovens that doesn't really have a temperature identifier?  We have an old gas oven that you have to light with a lit napkin.
You'll just know by the color of the scone/muffin that you're looking for. It should be about twenty minutes--if your oven is warm and ready. My guess? give it ten minutes to warm up...And when they're ready, they should look delicious: golden brown. Experience is the master of perfection. Good luck!
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Satori Wrote:I've never been to Trader Joe's. What's it like?

But there's nothing like a hot-out-of-the-oven scone, and they don't keep particularly well. I'll post this recipe after my busy little toddler is in bed.

And hot out of the oven is way cheaper, too.

But in all fairness, Trader Joe's does have quality for pretty good prices. They have great frozen veggies. Frozen fish, nuts, all manner of healthy stuff for great prices. Only they don't do bulk, which is why I hit Costco. And they don't deliver; which is why I like Stop and Shop Pea Pod when I don't do Costco.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Satori Wrote:Recipe for Frere, for her banana bread recipe collection. This is completely different from any banana bread I have ever tasted, and sumptuously delicious. It makes great dinner rolls, too, by the way. I am not going to attempt vegan substitutions in my transcription because I have not tried them yet and know that you probably are an expert in doing that, anyway.

Banana Yeast Bread

2 (.25 oz.) packages active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water (110-115 F)
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup warm milk (110-115 F)
13 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add bananas, sugar, milk, butter, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Do not knead. Spoon into 2 greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Bake at 375 F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Thanks!  I'm going to make this...before Lent! [Image: biggrin.gif]
Wow, what an interesting recipe for that Banana Yeast Bread, Satori. I'm trying to imagine the texture of it -- it has yeast, but isn't kneaded, is spooned into the pans, and is tested like a cake. Curious!

Frerejacques, the kitten-cats in the picture were adorable at one time. Now they are teenaged toms who need a good beating. The one on the left -- The Rock -- is a punk, usually up to no good (he has a plastic bag fetish; you can imagine), but a Mamma's boy who sleeps with me allllllll the time; Boots is mentally-challenged (seriously), completely incapable of speaking cat body language, and is constantly annoying Marta without having a clue he's doing it. He once attacked his own foot. Quis and I joke that he has a circusy calliope soundtrack playing in his head at all times. I've also imagined the intro to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" on loop rolling around in his otherwise empty head. You should see what the two of them did to our Christmas tree. It ended up looking like that sad thing Charlie Brown dragged home. I love them both, though. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks in advance for re-posting the quantities for that Banana-Lime-Macadamia bread! And thanks for the scones recipe, Satori (one with oats -- yum!).
P.S. I wanted to make a note about the Orange Date Bread and the Orange Raisin Bread experiment made from the same basic recipe: IMO, the Orange Date original is a much better way to go! I love that stuff...
All this muffin talk inspired me to do some experimenting today, and I finally came up with a vegan banana muffin that actually tastes good.  Yay me.
ErinIsNice Wrote:All this muffin talk inspired me to do some experimenting today, and I finally came up with a vegan banana muffin that actually tastes good.  Yay me.

Please post recipe :)
Satori,
Is there something you can use to sub for the buttermilk in the scone recipe? They sound wonderful, but I don't have any buttermilk on hand.

:)