I like...muffins.
Plain yogurt subs for buttermilk pretty well.  Otherwise, milk will do, but won't taste quite as good.
ONeill Wrote:
ErinIsNice Wrote:All this muffin talk inspired me to do some experimenting today, and I finally came up with a vegan banana muffin that actually tastes good.  Yay me.

Please post recipe :)

Sure!  Now this is not a healthy muffin, just vegan [Image: laff.gif]

preheat oven to 375

2 cups cake flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 container or 6 ounces vanilla soy 'yogurt'
1 stick margarine
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 over-ripe bananas, mashed thoroughly
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon

cream margarine and sugar with whisk
whisk in soy yogurt
whisk in bananas and spices

switch to spoon and combine wet ingredients with dry, but don't over-mix

fill muffin pans and bake until well browned (for me about 30 minutes but my oven is crazy)

Joamy Wrote:Satori,
Is there something you can use to sub for the buttermilk in the scone recipe? They sound wonderful, but I don't have any buttermilk on hand.

:)

Take about a cup of milk and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes. Voila. Buttermilk.
ErinIsNice Wrote:
ONeill Wrote:
ErinIsNice Wrote:All this muffin talk inspired me to do some experimenting today, and I finally came up with a vegan banana muffin that actually tastes good.  Yay me.

Please post recipe :)

Sure!  Now this is not a healthy muffin, just vegan [Image: laff.gif]

preheat oven to 375

2 cups cake flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 container or 6 ounces vanilla soy 'yogurt'
1 stick margarine
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 over-ripe bananas, mashed thoroughly
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon

cream margarine and sugar with whisk
whisk in soy yogurt
whisk in bananas and spices

switch to spoon and combine wet ingredients with dry, but don't over-mix

fill muffin pans and bake until well browned (for me about 30 minutes but my oven is crazy)

That actually sounds really good. I haven't bought soy yogurt in years.

I've been craving banana nut bread and have been trying to let bananas go bad for weeks but my monkeys don't even give them a chance.
Sour cream also works very well as a substitute for buttermilk, although it is my opinion that it gives a somewhat different texture.

I hope that anyone interested in trying the banana yeast bread recipe will realize that it should read 1/3 cup of butter -- not 13 cups. (Even I have not yet used up six and a half packages of butter in one evening, although I'm getting there ... I'm getting there ...)

The texture? Hard to describe. Somewhere between cake and really fresh white bread. Super moist, not gooey, but moister and stickier than regular yeast bread. Sweet, but not desserty sweet. Nothing, really, like quick bread.  
Stuffin Muffins.

I saw this on Rachel Ray's Thanksgiving show on the Cooking Channel.

This are soooo good and is also an easy way to use up leftover stuffing.

Just mix  bunch of scrambled eggs into your stuffing and mix, --just enough for the stuffing to hold together, but not get gooey. Then put it into the paper lined muffin tin or those new paperless Rubber "tins" and cook on 400° until the top get slightly crunchy.

Bon appetite!  :-*
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(01-28-2009, 10:45 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: I like making muffins, anyone else? [Image: smile.gif]

-I like pumpkin muffins

-Cashew coconut muffins
-sausage muffins

-All sorts of muffins. You can make a muffin outa almost any leftovers. Another reason to like muffins.

If you like muffins, please post the recipe.

Cashew and coconut - two of my favorites...mmmmmmmm.  Please post that recipe.

Thanks.
(12-23-2009, 12:14 AM)Beware_the_Ides Wrote:
(01-28-2009, 10:45 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: I like making muffins, anyone else? [Image: smile.gif]

-I like pumpkin muffins

-Cashew coconut muffins
-sausage muffins

-All sorts of muffins. You can make a muffin outa almost any leftovers. Another reason to like muffins.

If you like muffins, please post the recipe.

Cashew and coconut - two of my favorites...mmmmmmmm.  Please post that recipe.

Thanks.
Ides, this muffin is my all time favorite hands down.  :) Enjoy!

-2 cups all purpose flour
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2/3 cup brown sugar, packed plus extra to sprinkle on top of the muffin before they go into the oven.

-1 egg beaten
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk

2/3 cup cashews, chopped
2/3 cup coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 400°.

sift first 4 ingredients together.

Stir in egg, oil and milk just until blended.

Fold in cashews and coconut.

Fill paper-lined muffin tins full, sprinkle brown sugar on top of each muffin and bake approximately 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Sounds scrumptious,

Thank you and Merry Christmas!