"we still have relatively high levels of pregnancies going to birth"
Two children should be limit, says green guru

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_...627634.ece

COUPLES who have more than two children are being “irresponsible” by creating an unbearable burden on the environment, the government’s green adviser has warned.

Jonathon Porritt, who chairs the government’s Sustainable Development Commission, says curbing population growth through contraception and abortion must be at the heart of policies to fight global warming. He says political leaders and green campaigners should stop dodging the issue of environmental harm caused by an expanding population.

A report by the commission, to be published next month, will say that governments must reduce population growth through better family planning.

“I am unapologetic about asking people to connect up their own responsibility for their total environmental footprint and how they decide to procreate and how many children they think are appropriate,” Porritt said.

“I think we will work our way towards a position that says that having more than two children is irresponsible. It is the ghost at the table. We have all these big issues that everybody is looking at and then you don’t really hear anyone say the “p” word.”

The Optimum Population Trust, a campaign group of which Porritt is a patron, says each baby born in Britain will, during his or her lifetime, burn carbon roughly equivalent to 2½ acres of old-growth oak woodland - an area the size of Trafalgar Square.

The British population, now 61m, will pass 70m by 2028, the Office for National Statistics says. The fertility rate for women born outside Britain is estimated to be 2.5, compared with 1.7 for those born here. The global population of 6.7 billion is expected to rise to 9.2 billion by 2050.

Porritt, who has two children, intends to persuade environmental pressure groups to make population a focus of campaigning.

“Many organisations think it is not part of their business. My mission with the Friends of the Earth and the Greenpeaces of this world is to say: ‘You are betraying the interests of your members by refusing to address population issues and you are doing it for the wrong reasons because you think it is too controversial,” he said.

Porritt, a former chairman of the Green party, says the government must improve family planning, even if it means shifting money from curing illness to increasing contraception and abortion.

He said: “We still have one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancies in Europe and we still have relatively high levels of pregnancies going to birth, often among women who are not convinced they want to become mothers.
Yes, environmentalism is one of the most dangerous vectors of incipient totalitarianism. On behalf of anti-Christian elites against the rest of us.

Unfortunately, even people who think the environmentalists are extremists often internalize a lot of their bad ideas. Contempt for large families, sadly enough, is a common attitude.
How about shutting down strip clubs and nightclubs for the megawatts of energy they spend for pointless stuff.
How about just outright killing whatever number of extra people you have. Make yourself number one, just to test your commitment.
Telemaque Wrote:environmentalism is one of the most dangerous vectors of incipient totalitarianism

My eldest daughter is a member of the Girl Guides (or "GirlguidingUK" as they call it nowadays). For the past few weeks they've been talking about the ecology and climate change. The other night she came home with a stack of "activity sheets" produced by Friends of the Earth that the Guides had distributed. It read:

OK, you're all fired up about cutting that big old carbon footprint of yours.
What could possibly stand in your way?
Well, at first, other people might not see it how you do.
So how are your going to convince them to swap their blinkers for green-tinted shades?
Here's your chance to practice your powers of persuasion and build your confidence.

There followed a series of imaginary "scenarios" in which children acted as "persuaders", helping their friends and parents see the light about climate change etc.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but the tone struck me as vaguely sinister ... visions of little boys and girls in green shades reporting their parents to the Eco Police. (The Friends of the Earth logo didn't help.)

Quote:On behalf of anti-Christian elites against the rest of us.

Jonathon Porritt has gone on record as saying: "I really believe The Roman Catholic Church is undermining the future prospects for humankind."
This poster just heard on the radio that one single volcano eruption spews more toxins into the air than all of mankind has in history.
Okay, so let me get this straight. Trees and plants and stupid little snails are more important than human beings.
      Am I missing something here?

Munda_cor_meum Wrote:Okay, so let me get this straight. Trees and plants and stupid little snails are more important than human beings.
      Am I missing something here?

No, you summed up well their sheer idiocy. I guess that people who cry for trees are beyond redemption, so to speak.
Simply incredible. If any of these "ideas" become laws then the future looks extremely bleak for mankind. If you think about what Mr. Porritt said, diseases can be looked at as beneficial, because they can help "control" the population. Basically, the way these guys are arguing, the planet would be much better off without us. How sad (for them).
Credo Wrote:This poster just heard on the radio that one single volcano eruption spews more toxins into the air than all of mankind has in history.

This article I came across seems to dispute what you've heard on the radio:

http://www.globalwarmingisreal.com/blog/...use-gases/

Hopefully there's some other, better evidence that acquits us of our crime - of existence - against planet Earth. [Image: wink.gif]
Munda_cor_meum Wrote:Okay, so let me get this straight. Trees and plants and stupid little snails are more important than human beings.

"Soft" environmentalists like Jonathon Porritt would never actually come out and say that. They would say their concern is for the welfare of mankind. The human race must stop reproducing in order to survive.

LaRoza Wrote:How about just outright killing whatever number of extra people you have.

It's been suggested ...