when did Saturday cease being a day of abstinence?
I was flipping through an old catechism by St. Robert Bellarmine and for the precepts of the Church it lists the days of fasting and abstinence and it says "abstain from flesh on Friday and Saturday" and has a picture of people buying fish.

Anyone know when it became ok to eat meat on Saturday?

It was a later innovation and dropped rather early. Wednesday and Fridays were traditionally days of abstinence. Saturday got added later (but note the remnant in the Ember Days). The Eastern Orthodox used to complain about our Saturday abstinence because they felt Saturday had a decidedly non-penitential character. To each his own, I guess. But if we're going to start dreaming of restorationism, Wednesday would take priority before any thought of Saturday.
I believe there is something connection between our Blessed Mother and abstaining from meat on Sundays.
Quote:I believe there is something connection between our Blessed Mother and abstaining from meat on Sundays.

Interestingly, I think that is one of the reasons the Orthodox didnt like it. They thought Our Lady's Day had a festive character analogous to the Lord's Day, not analogous to Friday.
Quote:Saturday
[-]
  •
Interesting--thanks for the replies!