Chefs?
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:This is why we are better off cooking at home, my dear, where food is love.

Speak for yourself, Jackie! I eat out every chance I get.

I just love you in that powdered wig, Hk. U should go over to Williamsburg and work summers, when school lets out. I m so serious. Oh, you'd have a blast of a time there. The literal life. Granted, you'd have to play the part of a Protty, but you'd get paid and it's way cool there.

edited to add: I can cook better than you can buy. Any day.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Jacafamala Wrote:This is why we are better off cooking at home, my dear, where food is love.

I'm assuming Jaca is referring to women cooking at home for our families instead of becoming professional cooks. I must admit I can't see why a woman would want to work in such an environment, but I also don't understand why it must be that way.

Guess I'll stick to dinner parties, bake sales, and making meals for disconsolate friends -- for now.
Satori Wrote:

I'm assuming Jaca is referring to women cooking at home for our families instead of becoming professional cooks. I must admit I can't see why a woman would want to work in such an environment, but I also don't understand why it must be that way.

Guess I'll stick to dinner parties, bake sales, and making meals for disconsolate friends -- for now.
Blame it on a simple twist of fate. Providence. I think we're just lucky.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
Jacafamala Wrote:
Satori Wrote:

What's lucky about the restaurant biz being so perverted that it's mostly painfully aggressive, selfish degenerates who want to work there? Cooking is one of the feminine arts; professional cooking should not be of such a nature that it squashes the feminine nature under a heavy, muddy, steel-toed boot.
Satori Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:
Satori Wrote:

What's lucky about the restaurant biz being so perverted that it's mostly painfully aggressive, selfish degenerates who want to work there? Cooking is one of the feminine arts; professional cooking should not be of such a nature that it squashes the feminine nature under a heavy, muddy, steel-toed boot.

exactically, Satori: nothing. There's nothing lucky 'bout the restaurant biz, near as I can tell. So why worry about missing it? I've no guesses about the why of missing something such as that.

I'm going to do a flip flop here and defend some chefs and others that work in restaurants.

Can you imagine running a business that you are passionate about, selling a product that you care about, and then being forced to rely on flunkies and perpetual community college students to execute things the way you expect them to be?

Restaurant work used to be a career choice. Now it is simply a transitional job used for making a quick buck and dragging your butt through college.

The majority of your help doesn't care. They don't care if the creme brulee is gritty, the shrimp is cold, the milk is scorched, the sauce is lumpy or that the steak is a tad overcooked. The bartender is giving away all your profits, your sautee cook didn't show up, and your 19 year old waitress just asked you what "Pur-no" is.

But you are the chef. Your name is on the line. You're passionate about your menu and there is only one way for things to be served. There is no room for grey area. Unfortunately, not everyone feels the same way that you do.

There is no time for "Good effort!" and "We'll try harder next time." You get one shot with your customers. If they have a bad experience or find a place that does what you do, but better, they won't be back. And what's worse, they tell everyone that your restaurant sucks. It spreads.

Do most chefs instantly cuss and throw plates? No, those are special moments reserved for special times. I usually hear the chef saying "Throw that out. Start over" or "C'mon pick it up. You're dragging." or "I can't serve that. Give me another one. Now."

Perfection is an expectation. There are no A's for effort.

Is the solution hiring better employees? Impossible. They are not to be found.

Satori Wrote:My husband likes to watch "Hell's Kitchen." I think reality shows are inherently evil, but I watched snips last night while he had it on. Ugh. What a lot of vulgar, conniving, arrogant, foulmouthed, backstabbing, shamelessly self-promoting twerps. I realize that kind of show brings it out in people, but my goodness. Are these wastes of oxygen typical of the restaurant business?

Yes, at least among independent restaurants where an owner or chef can be an autocrat.  It is less typical for chain restaurants which are run more professionally.
I always kind of wanted to be a chef or work in the restaurant business.  A lot of my relatives were in that line of work.  However, being overweight,  I'm cautioned by some not to go into the field of food preparation least I expire from it. 
I work as a line and prep cook in a small Italian restaurant. We dont actually have a real chef, nor do we need one so long as we exercise a little common sense. That is, however, hard to come by in some employees and I can more then sympathize with the frustration of professional chefs in this area.

I do enjoy cooking quite a bit, though at times I dislike too fast a pace as I cannot give as much attention to each dish as I would like, especially in the presentation.
Paloma,

I would also add to your list an owner who is constantly peeping into the garbage cans ("mould is no excuse to throw it out!"), a manager who has us waaay over-prep (which causes so much to go bad and end up in the garbage), waitresses who make mistakes on the orders and allow the customers far too much room to change the dishes (including things we do not even have), and a ridiculously high turnover rate for dishwashers and hostesses.