Ferrara on Lifting of SSPX Excommunications, Vatican II, and Williamson
newschoolman Wrote:Not dogma!  We are not talking about divine revalation.  But society has a right to protect itself against certain abuses of "freedom of speech".  That is why I said that freedom of speech should not be considered unlimited and unqualified. 

Who decides what an "abuse of free speech" is? 

Do you think research should be done in regards to the Inquisition?  Especially after centuries of lies called the "Black Legend?"  Or are the "revisions" in the numbers to be treated like "lies?" 

Is defending Pope Pius XII's reputation also "denial" and "anti-semitic" and an "abuse of free speech?"  

Quote:
No, it fails miserably because the US couldn't give a flip about "natural rights" or "natural limits".

The US does care about natural rights and their proper limits in my hypothetical scenario.
newschoolman Wrote:
Quote:
No, it fails miserably because the US couldn't give a flip about "natural rights" or "natural limits".

The US does care about natural rights and their proper limits in my hypothetical scenario.

Your hypothetical scenario is not realistic because the US currently allows holocaust and 9/11 denial speech.
Quote:Acceding to the Vatican demand would set a precedent requiring of Holocaust beliefs and speech limits as a condition for remitting excommunication and for religious office.

Not for remitting excommunication.  The note stated that Williamson wont be able to function in capacity of Bishop until he publicly distances himself from such views. 

Quote:Who decides what an "abuse of free speech" is? 

It belongs to the legitimate authorities to make the prudential judgement in view of the common good.
Quote:Your hypothetical scenario is not realistic because the US currently allows holocaust and 9/11 denial speech.

The hypothetical scenario does not depend on how things currently exist -- that's why its called a "hypothetical".

newschoolman Wrote:
Quote:Your hypothetical scenario is not realistic because the US currently allows holocaust and 9/11 denial speech.

The hypothetical scenario does not depend on how things currently exist -- that's why its called a "hypothetical".

I'm glad you conceded the argument. The whole thing is only plausible in your imagination.