German Council Of Jews Welcomes Vatican About-Turn
And now for a word from HQ.

Quote:German Council Of Jews Welcomes Vatican About-Turn
Published: February 04, 2009 18:56h

Germany's Central Council of Jews welcomed the Vatican's decision to order a traditionalist bishop who denies the Holocaust to recant on Wednesday, saying it could lead to a resumption of ties with the Catholic Church. Charlotte Knobloch, president of the Council of Jews, said the Vatican's move was a positive signal and a reaction to German Chancellor Angela Merkel's demand for clarification after Pope Benedict sparked outrage over his rehabilitation of the bishop.
"It is a first step which could lead to a resumption of dialogue with the Catholic Church," said Knobloch in a statement which struck a conciliatory tone after she said last week she was breaking off ties with the Catholic church.
She had been angered by the German pope's rehabilitation of Bishop Richard Williamson, who denies the extent of the Holocaust in which Nazis killed 6 million Jews, and that of three other members of the ultra-traditional Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX).
Knobloch also welcomed the Vatican's statement earlier that SSPX must accept all the teachings of the Second Vatican Council, which urged respect for Judaism and other religions.
"That would mean the brotherhood would have to publicly retract their statements that Jewish citizens are murders of God, and to firmly condemn every form of Holocaust denial," Knobloch said.
How refreshing simple and clear compared to the convoluted Vatican "about-turn." SSPX should deal directly with Knobloch instead of wasting time going through the Vatican middle-man. Any deal struck just with the Pope will be vetoed by Knobloch and friends if it is not pre-approved through Kasper.

Quote:"It is a first step which could lead to a resumption of dialogue with the Catholic Church," said Knobloch in a statement which struck a conciliatory tone after she said last week she was breaking off ties with the Catholic church.

They are obviously using their "ties" as a bargaining chip to manipulate Rome to kowtow to their demands. Could this be any more obvious? Sigh.

"Stick, stick, stick...oh I see you're ready to play ball! Now come get the carrot...come get it silly donkey...."

Oh for the strength of a St. Pius X right now. This is truly humiliating.

The synagogue of Satan is pulling the strings, no doubt about it. I don't see an end to this madness anytime soon.

I want to manifest my solidarity with H.E. Bishop Williamson; he's mercilessly been beaten left and right since that interview, even by his own. Courage Monsignor, may the Lord give you strength against the enemies of the Church!

I am puzzled by the name of this thread.  What "about-turn"?
Did Vatican II result in an infallible promulgation of doctrine that forbids us from believing the Jewish community is guilty of deicide or that they're perfidious (that is, unbelieving and - like everyone else in the world - should be converted for the benefit of their own souls)?
Michael_G Wrote:I am puzzled by the name of this thread.  What "about-turn"?
"About-turn" comes from the original headline and it is very appropriate. Rome previously held that remitting excommunications was unconnected with holocaust issues. Rome has reversed itself today with a NOTE lying that it did not know about the +Williamson interview to imply it would not have remitted the excommunications.

Rome has reneged on its previous understanding with the SSPX by requiring affirmation of Jewish "revealed" Holocaust dogma in order to move forward with +Williamson.
3Sanctus Wrote:Did Vatican II result in an infallible promulgation of doctrine that forbids us from believing the Jewish community is guilty of deicide or that they're perfidious (that is, unbelieving and - like everyone else in the world - should be converted for the benefit of their own souls)?
Those things may or may not be true, but asking the question makes you anti-Semetic and it is forbidden to be anti-Semetic.
Egads!
3Sanctus Wrote:Did Vatican II result in an infallible promulgation of doctrine that forbids us from believing the Jewish community is guilty of deicide or that they're perfidious (that is, unbelieving and - like everyone else in the world - should be converted for the benefit of their own souls)?
This is not a leading question; I just want to know:  did the Church ever teach as doctrine that the Jews were guilty of deicide?  You are of course right when you say that perfidiosus means faithless, not perfidious in the modern English idiom.
Michael_G Wrote:
This is not a leading question; I just want to know:  did the Church ever teach as doctrine that the Jews were guilty of deicide?  You are of course right when you say that perfidiosus means faithless, not perfidious in the modern English idiom.

Well, I think these quotes are genuine:

Quote:"Judaism, since Christ, is a corruption; indeed, Judas is the image of the Jewish people: their understanding of Scripture is carnal; they bear the guilt for the death of the Saviour, for through their fathers they have killed Christ." [St Augustine]

"The Jews, therefore, not only made themselves strangers to the covenants, but also dishonoured the Father and killed the Son in envy." [St Ephraim the Syrian]

"The Jews are murderers of the Lord .... They are guilty of shouting: 'Away with him, away with him! Crucify him!' He who was God in the flesh!" [St Gregory of Nyssa: Oration on the Resurrection of Christ]

"Nor is it sufficient that we call Him who is in Heaven 'Father.' We must add to the name 'Our Father.' This name rebukes and condemns the Jews who not only spurned Christ faithlessly, but also cruelly executed Him Who was announced to them by the prophets, and sent first to their nation. No longer may they call God their Father, because the Lord confounds and refutes them, saying: 'your father is the devil' [John 8:44]. O sinful nation, O people weighed down with guilt, breed of evil-doers, lawless children, you have turned your backs on the Lord and have provoked the Holy One of Israel." [St Cyprian: On The Lord's Prayer]

"If someone should kill the beloved son of a man, and then stretch forth their hands still stained with blood to the afflicted father, asking for fellowship, would not the blood of his son, still visible on the hand of his murderer, provoke him to just anger instead? And such are the prayers of the Jews, for when they stretch forth their hands in prayer, they only remind God the Father of their sin against His Son. And at every stretching forth of their hands, they only make it obvious that they are stained with the blood of Christ."
[St Basil: On Prayer, Sermon Nine]

"Israel, since the deicide, has been given over to commerce with demons; the Jews have all the vices of beasts and are good for nothing but slaughter; gluttons, drunkards, sensualists living for their belly .... they behave no better than pigs and goats in their lewd vulgarities. Their crime leaves them no hope of mending their ways of being pardoned. The synagogue is a brothel, a den of thieves, a lair of wild beasts."
[St John Chrysostom]

"Poor Jews! You invoked a dreadful curse upon your own heads in saying: 'His blood be on us and our children'; and that curse, miserable race, you carry upon you to this day, and to the end of time you shall endure the chastisement of that innocent blood." [St. Alphonsus Maria Liguouri, The Passion and death of Jesus Christ.]

"Pilate took water in accordance with that, 'I will wash my hands in innocency', in a manner testifying and saying, I indeed have sought to deliver this innocent man, but since a tumult is rising, and the charge of treason to Caesar is urged against me, I am innocent of the blood of this just man .... Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us and on our children. This imprecation rests at the present day upon the Jews: the Lord's blood is not removed from them." [St Thomas Aquinas : Catena Aurea]

The original link is down now.