Why the pro-life movement has failed
Brillant piece from postmodern conservative that goes to the heart of the matter.

A Culture of Choice? By Patrick J. Deneen Rod Dreher calls attention to an essay by Michael Brendan Dougherty, who asks pointed questions about the failure of the thirty-six year old pro-life movement to make any significant gains against a regime of unrestricted abortion. Dougherty’s essay strikes a long and resonant chord with me: while I have sympathized with the aims of the pro-life movement, I have never felt drawn to the movement as it has been constituted, mostly because I have thought that much of the movement approached this issue without the necessary depth of understanding about the relationship of the pro-choice supporter of abortion and the larger culture of choice that is at the heart of modern liberal philosophy. By hitching their star to the Republican Party, and approaching the issue as a legal rather than a deeper philosophical theological and thus cultural crisis, the prospects for success were always likely to fail to the extent that there was an unwillingness to confront the broader "culture of choice" that is the hallmark of modern civilization. Indeed, by acquiescing to a broader "culture of choice" that is fostered especially by a market economy understood to be unfettered and driven by the free and unrestrained choices of individuals, it can be argued that the pro-life movement was actually aiding and abetting the very culture from which a pro-choice abortion regime arose. 
We should see clearly that the moral relativism that makes it possible to dismiss the inviolability of human life is not the result of fancy French or German philosophical imports (this was always the argument made by Strauss, and later by Bloom, who wanted - understandably - to stand by liberal democracy during years of threat from fascism and communism).  Moral relativism is articulated very clearly in the opening chapters of Hobbes’s Leviathan, the work that laid the philosophical foundations for modern liberalism and particularly a defense of the natural autonomy of individuals and which made individual choice the sole basis of political and increasingly social legitimacy.  Thus wrote Hobbes in Chapter 10 of Leviathan, "Of Power, Worth, Dignity, Honour and Worthiness":  "The value or worth of a man is, as of all other things, his price; that is to say, so much as would be given for the use of his power, and therefore is not absolute, but a thing dependent on the need and judgement of another. An able conductor of soldiers is of great price in time of war present or imminent, but in peace not so. A learned and uncorrupt judge is much worth in time of peace, but not so much in war. And as in other things, so in men, not the seller, but the buyer determines the price. For let a man, as most men do, rate themselves at the highest value they can, yet their true value is no more than it is esteemed by others."
At the heart of modern liberalism is an argument that human beings do not possess inherent dignity, but only the value that is accorded to them by the estimation of others.  That is, human value is itself set by a market of valuation, as subject to fluctuation as the daily rise and fall (mostly fall) of stocks on the financial exchanges.  In modernity, the value of frail individuals - especially the unborn - fell to less than the worth of penny stocks, unwanted intruders on the autonomy of sexually and professionally liberated individuals (it should be noted that among the most ardent supporters of abortion rights are young men.  You figure it out).  Again, Strauss and Bloom argued in their most famous works that the language of "values" was a foreign import, introduced to America via Max Weber who learned relativism through the pages of Nietzsche.  This was, to say the least, a flattering fiction to liberal democracy:  value relativism was present at the creation, a function of the market in all things, including humans.
Are we prepared to consider the possibility that abortion is not itself an isolated evil, but a deeper symptom - pernicious and malevolent, yes - of a deeper philosophical, theological and cultural crisis?  If so, the way forward becomes even murkier, but at least we will divest ourselves of the oft self-congratulatory belief that we are dealing in the realm of easy political solutions - long a shibboleth of liberalism itself.  By returning to the very sources of our larger, deeper, and more pervasive modern crisis can we begin to see a way forward in rightly changing a culture that more generally has ceased to understand the meaning of the word "generation" in every sense of the term.

E. Michael Jones book has an interesting take on who is responsible.

If people could have named those who are the strongest partisans of abortion it might have made a difference.

They had no trouble saying opposition to abortion was "Catholic" and therefore an infringement on "freedom of conscience."

Alas, standing in "solidarity" with the most pro-abortion ethnic group in America has its price.

And not just in America:

Quote:Last week, a German court sentenced a 55-year old Lutheran pastor to one year in jail for “Volksverhetzung” (incitement of the people) because he compared the killing of the unborn in contemporary Germany to the holocaust.

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/2211
Telemaque Wrote:E. Michael Jones book has an interesting take on who is responsible.

If people could have named those who are the strongest partisans of abortion it might have made a difference.

They had no trouble saying opposition to abortion was "Catholic" and therefore an infringement on "freedom of conscience."

Alas, standing in "solidarity" with the most pro-abortion ethnic group in America has its price.

And not just in America:

Quote:Last week, a German court sentenced a 55-year old Lutheran pastor to one year in jail for “Volksverhetzung” (incitement of the people) because he compared the killing of the unborn in contemporary Germany to the holocaust.

Some of what E. Michael Jones had to say used to make sense, I liked his book Libido Dominandi quite a bit, it was well researched and argued.
 I finally let my culture wars subscription lapse because the last 5 or 6 issues were just endless rants against Jews. He's way over the line into "protocols of the elders of zion" territory these days and I have no interest in that sort of thing.

Quote:He's way over the line into "protocols of the elders of zion" territory these days and I have no interest in that sort of thing.

Well, I guess it's "protocols of the elders of zion" territory to name the ethnic group that is most in favor of abortion in this country. No doubt it's "protocols of elders of zion" territory to suggest that there is an attempt on their part to control Church teaching.

If you throw over the side your leaders and the defenders of the Faith whenever they enter into "protocols of elders of zion" territory then it's no wonder we had no leaders willing to confront directly, by name, the partisans of abortion.

[/QUOTE]
This is really just about enough of this crap.
That article pretty much summed up what Catholics have been saying for years, but I'm interested in which journal it was published? It might reach a few more people in a politically conservative, though not Catholic, paper.
And seriously, everybody, the Jews are not to blame for every single bad thing in life. It's called original sin.
Walty Wrote:

This is really just about enough of this crap.
[/QUOTE]

Soon the thought police will spew over the border and gain even more of an upper hand in America.   Freedom of Speech only applies when no one is "offended" in the land that we're becoming.  Be afraid, be very afraid.

What's the deal with Germans?

Well, my amnesiac brother-in-Christ, speaking for "Germans," did you ever hear of that minor episode named "World Wars One and Two"? The REASON Germany is so horribly oppressed today is because from 1937 the Yankees (might that be you?) led by FDR chose without any moral justification to butcher in cold blood over 20,000,000 innocent German Catholics and Protestants, bombed Christian Europe into ruins, then raped the women and imposed extremely unjust laws making almost anything a thought crime and are still currently maintaining an oppressive colonial regime in power through the brutal occupation of Germany by the (your?) Yankee military. Then your Yankee Cardinal Spellman of New York arranged the murder of Saint Pope Pius XII and your Yankee Cardinal Cushing of Boston financed the subversion of Vatican II.
If the (you?) Yankee military occupiers would get their (your?) heathen asses out of Christian Europe ASAP, then the Christian natives of Europe would be able to begin to enjoy some Christian Liberty for a change.
Might your false sanctimony have some limit? If you're offended by a blunt reply, then it were wise not to utter such a gross insult against innocent German victims of your own incomparably brutal vicious anti-Catholic Yankee nation. Any Catholic Southrons out there? Someone should defend the innocent.
No one attacked Germans, his sig line says: what's the deal? But now you've attacked all Americans for being so horrible, here's something to consider: Hitler killing Catholics and Jews alike, or the US occupying Germany, which would you choose? I'll give you a hint, with one of them you get to practice your faith without going to a concentration camp. I don't think the US should've bombed Germany, but the Nazi weren't exactly much better. And considering the modernist, anti-catholic, contraceptive mentality in Europe nowadays, getting all the Yanks out wouldn't make everything just perfect again.
And where on earth did you get the idea Cardinal Spellman had the Pope killed? [Image: huh.gif]
Ah, the Germans...

Gott segne das deutsche und österreiche Völker! Sankt Bonifatius, Apostel der Deutschen, bete für die römisch-katholische Kirche in Deutschland und Österreich und für die Wiederherstellung des heiligen römischen Reiches.