(United States) Anti-abstinence funding mobilization
"Mobilisation" for our friends across the pond(s).. [Image: wink.gif]

A hippie friend of mine naively sent me this, thinking I'd want to join in 'stopping this atrocity':
http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2009/...ence-clows

So, the clown probably sucks a lot, but nonetheless it's worth countering their little campaign with letters of our/your own (see the end of his article to see what I'm talking about). I'm sure you can set up a auto-find-and-mail your congressperson(s) a letter that states the *opposite* on a site like Amplify.

If you read to the end he links: http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/main.cfm...&s=amplify

Where one can send a form letter to their congress-critters to 'zero out' funding for abstinence education.

I agree with him on that point, if they write enough letters, funding will most likely cease or get cut.

Perhaps someone could set up an Amplify or other 'letter campaign' account to mail a contrary letter than we can distribute to other Catholics, evangelicals via email, websites/forums, Facebook groups (KofC for example), etc...Harlequin?

I don't have the time or eloquence to compose such a thing, Quis? Vox?

Just to see what they're sending if you don't want to click through (or enter your address in the blanks!!):

Quote:As your constituent and as someone who cares about the future of our nation�s youth, I am writing to ask you to end funding for ineffective abstinence-only-until-marriage education programs. 

I stand with the millions of Americans who support teaching both abstinence and contraception. The American public overwhelmingly rejects teaching young people abstinence-only-until-marriage education.  A 2004 survey by National Public Radio/Kaiser Family Foundation /Harvard University Kennedy School of Government found that 86% of voters want young people to receive a comprehensive approach to sex education that includes teaching about both abstinence and contraception.

By voting to end the 179 million dollars per year funding for the following failed programs, you will be sending a clear message that you support science and common sense. 

Title V Abstinence Education program, Section 510 of the Social Security Act - (state formula grants), funded at $50 million

Community-Based Abstinence Education under Title XI of the Social Security Act - (direct grants), funded at $116 million

Adolescent Family Life Act (Title XX of the Public Health Service Act) abstinence-only grants, funded at $13 million

GRAND TOTAL: $179 million per year

Here are the facts:

� In spite of their receiving over 1.5 billion dollars in federal funds since 1996, not a single, sound study has shown these programs to have a beneficial impact on young people�s behavior.

� Recent studies show these programs can create harm by undermining contraceptive use when young people in abstinence-only-until-marriage education become sexually active.  In one study, abstinence-only-until-marriage program participants were one-third less likely to use contraception when they did have sex compared to students not receiving the restrictive abstinence-only education. Nationally, over 60% of young people will have had sex before graduating from high school.

�  Over 135 national organizations, including the country's major medical organizations like the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics, belong to the National Coalition to Support Sexuality Education and strongly believe in teaching young people both abstinence and contraception.

Both fiscally and in terms of public health, we cannot afford to continue funding this unproven, dangerous approach. Young people�s health and lives are at risk.  We urge you to side with public health, with the medical community, with parents, young people and teachers and oppose any new funding for the abstinence-only-until-marriage programs. 

It's worth pointing out that the bullet points here are incomplete/refutable.

This shouldn't be this hard to get going...