Our Lady of La Salette's Secret
A few months ago, I read about the secret that Our Lady gave to Melanie Calvat. I really don't know what to make of the text. It seems to me that it was inspired more by Melanie's apocalyptic reading than it is by Our Lady.

What is the opinion of the Vatican or other ecclesiastical authorities on this secret? Is it credible or not?
The Church has approved of the apparitions of La Salette.
I know that, didishroom, but what about Melanie's secret that Our Lady had given to her. It talked a great deal about wars, apostasy, and so on.

Never mind, I answered the question with a quote from a sermon by Bishop Fellay:

On October 3, 1999, the original manuscripts of Melanie and of Maximin have been rediscovered in the archives of the Holy Office, which is now called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. There one can find all the reports, those from Mélanie who sent to the pope what the Blessed Virgin had told her, the famous Secret of La Salette. We also have the texts from Maximin who had also received secrets from Our Lady. Everything was kept, and has been published relatively recently. Now, we observe that the texts which had circulated were absolutely faithful and really corresponded to what was truly said. And what did the Blessed Virgin say in La Salette? She foretold a terrible time for the Church, going so far as to say: “Rome will lose the faith.”
I always assumed that these were approved. I think you're talking about the whole "Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the AntiChrist", right? These were always mentioned whenever I read about La Sallette. But a few people here have said there is doubt over whether or not those Secrets are truly authentic. I dunno about that really. As far as I know, they are true and most of those prophecies concerning faminine and war already came true. I think Max wrote a not to Bl. Pius IX who is the only one to have read it. But when Max was writing it he asked someone how to spell "infallibility" and we all know which pope defined papal infallibilty at Vatican I.
brotherjuniper Wrote:A few months ago, I read about the secret that Our Lady gave to Melanie Calvat. I really don't know what to make of the text. It seems to me that it was inspired more by Melanie's apocalyptic reading than it is by Our Lady.

What is the opinion of the Vatican or other ecclesiastical authorities on this secret? Is it credible or not?

There are two secrets from La Salette that have been given sanction, I guess one might say, by Church authorities.  One was given to Maximin, and the other was given to Melanie.

In addition, there is an alleged secret which contains the "Rome will lose the faith" statement.  That text is apparently a later version from the original two, and there are suspicions about its authenticity.

You can read the original two secrets, and even see the actual writings of the seers, at the link.  The secrets were recently released by the Vatican.  They are dated near the bottom of each.

http://veritas-catholic.blogspot.com/200...crets.html

It appears to me that she was right.  To all intent and purposes Rome has lost the faith as far as my simple mind ever understood what the faith was.

didishroom Wrote:The Church has approved of the apparitions of La Salette.
While the apparitions are approved, the Church has, on multiple occasions, forbidden the commonly circulated version of Melanie's secret.  Here is Rome's statement in 1915:

"So that these abuses which oppose true piety and greatly wound ecclesiastical authority might be curbed, the same Sacred Congregation orders all the faithful of any region not to discuss or investigate under any pretext, neither through books, or little works or articles, whether signed or unsigned, or in any other way of any kind, about the mentioned subject (the "commonly called Secret of La Salette"). Whoever, indeed, violates this precept of the Holy Office, if they are priests, are deprived of all dignity and suspended by the local ordinary from hearing sacramental confessions and from offering Mass: and, if they are lay people, they are not permitted to the sacraments until they repent."
ggreg Wrote:It appears to me that she was right.  To all intent and purposes Rome has lost the faith as far as my simple mind ever understood what the faith was.

True in the majority of Romans are secular and do not attend Masses, etc...also, since V2 many of the Churchman have lost faith for all intents/purposes....

many predictions note that in future, Church will be more resplendant than ever...that is something to truly "hope" for.
The apparition of LaSalette is approved, but some of the later writings of Melanie are not given credibility.

- Lisa

didishroom Wrote:I always assumed that these were approved. I think you're talking about the whole "Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the AntiChrist", right? These were always mentioned whenever I read about La Sallette. But a few people here have said there is doubt over whether or not those Secrets are truly authentic. 

Melanie's writings were questioned by Popes of her own time and right after her time, so we can't blame "Modernist Rome." In all the biographies I've read it seems she became a bit delusional toward the end and had a tendency to exaggerate.

- Lisa