Pope says "'Feeneyites' are NOT heretics"

With regards to those who hold strictly the absolute necessity of water baptism, it would be quite wrong to charge them with heretical constructs. As they merely assert that which was the near-universal consensus of the Patristic era, such a charge would be proximate to condemning all but a few of the Fathers as heterodox. (Der Glaube das Pimmelkopfgelauben, Communio April 1997 p 13. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.)
“Quite wrong to charge them with heretical constructs… .”  There are lots of armchair inquisitors out there who should pay attention to that one.
http://catholicism.org/this-just-in-pope...es-ok.html

Refreshing news.

I always had a secret sympathy for Fr. Feeney's views.
That may not be the elusive "CDF letter" given to the Still River groups, but it significantly vindicates what I and several others here were saying about the distinction between what is positively included in revelation (an object of faith) and what is merely not excluded (a potential object of hope). And since the majority of the earliest Fathers had no conception of BOD or BOB (quite the opposite in fact) we cannot say they are dogma. Though I personally think they are real (though unrevealed) and have very good hope in them as unrevealed means God may use, possibly among others (or even no particular means, just sheer mercy) and dont really understand why anyone, admitting such hope possible, would positively want to not have it...
That's funny, I didn't think that his infallibility could be applied in retrospect.

I am familiar with the quote from Cardinal Ratzinger, now Papa Benedictus.

When I first registered as a member of this forum I held strict Feeneyite views. After a great deal of discussion with others here (not always peaceful), I still hold the same doctrinal position. However, I do recognize that the Church allows for both views, similarly to her tolerance of both Thomist and Molinist views of free will and grace.

My bottom line: There is no salvation outside the Church, Baptism is the door of the Church, and I do not engage in further speculation. How God deals in particular cases is up to HIM.

Doesn't our Holy Father allow for guitar masses and heretical bishops to run rampant?
Yeah,I'm sure if you were pope that would all be cleaned up just that. Just at Motu Propio and the lifting of the Excommunications. He has done more for tradition than any pope in the last 50 years.
I am familiar with the quote from Cardinal Ratzinger, now Papa Benedictus.

When I first registered as a member of this forum I held strict Feeneyite views. After a great deal of discussion with others here (not always peaceful), I still hold the same doctrinal position. However, I do recognize that the Church allows for both views, similarly to her tolerance of both Thomist and Molinist views of free will and grace.

My bottom line: There is no salvation outside the Church, Baptism is the door of the Church, and I do not engage in further speculation. How God deals in particular cases is up to HIM.

Excellent.

And it should also be noted that Fr.Feeny never saw his theological opinions as equal to the Magisterium. He submitted all his works to the judgment of the Holy See and never received an answer.

Quote:"With regards to those who hold strictly the absolute necessity of water baptism, it would be quite wrong to charge them with heretical constructs. As they merely assert that which was the near-universal consensus of the Patristic era, such a charge would be proximate to condemning all but a few of the Fathers as heterodox."

Well, if you think that is authoritative, then you ought to believe the continuation of the paragraph as equally authoritative:

Quote:It is rather the obligation of those who hold the "Nouvelle theologie" to put the better case that revelation and tradition are not static monuments enshrouded in time, but both evolve and develop as Christ continues to reveal himself in the experience of his people. As such this living tradition, with the world as its rightful interlocutor, penetrates more deeply into the mysteries in each succeeding generation as it progresses forward in time to the fullness of revelation."

cough, cough, modernism, cough, cough.  So how many Feeneyites agree that tradition evolves and develops in the experience of his people?  If you deny that, then you'll have to question everything he says. 

didishroom Wrote:Yeah,I'm sure if you were pope that would all be cleaned up just that. Just at Motu Propio and the lifting of the Excommunications. He has done more for tradition than any pope in the last 50 years.

To be fair, that shouldn't be anything astonishing. Given the weak and destructive papacies of H.H. Pope John XXIII, H.H. Pope Paul and H.H. Pope John Paul II, anything remotely traditional will be welcome.