What are the most dangerous misquotes of the Bible, in your opinion?
For me, it is when a Christian reprimands me with "don't judge" or justifies their flabby tolerance of a gross violation of our faith with "I don't judge." What kind of non-sense is this? The real quote is "do not judge harshly, lest you be judged harshly." But we are supposed to judge everything, always tempered by Christian love and avoidance of pagan harshness. I used to get equally irate when people would say: "An eye for an eye." (This actually was my first clue that Americans follow the Old Testament far more than the New, so it was useful as far as my research, looking back on it.)

But the "I don't judge" misquote is really insidious, being a propaganda tool in the hands of liberal theologians to look the other way at abomination. Catholics like us should combat this error vehemently. Do you guys have any  misquotes of scripture that you find particularly annoying or even damaging in addition to this?
mistman Wrote:Do you guys have any  misquotes of scripture that you find particularly annoying or even damaging in addition to this?
A particular favorite of egalitarians and liberal theologians:

There is neither Jew nor Greek: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. ~ Galatians 3:28 (Douay-Rheims)
The ones about Jesus's brothers and the sons of Mary (obviously, if people opened their eyes, Mary the Mother of Jesus had only one child, Jesus. His brothers are relatives, and their mother is explicitly mentioned as being the wife of someone else (although she was called Mary)).

The "eye for an eye" line comes from many sources, so it isn't a sign that Americans follow the old testament really.
The "don't judge" verse comes to mind, like you say. It's something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand people will use it to justify various sins when said actions come under criticism. On the other hand, one will see people so annoyed as this misinterpretation that they will go to the other end of the spectrum and become quite self-righteous and arrogant, just to "prove" that that's not what the "don't judge" verse means.
'Love your neighbor' is another and 'Thou shall not kill.'
didishroom Wrote:'Love your neighbor' is another and 'Thou shall not kill.'

How are they dangerous?
People mistake them for meaning that any correction or condemnation of your neighbor's actions is not loving them. They also see the other quote as proof of pacifism.
2 Tim. 3 no doubt is the most misunderstood and badly used passage

16 All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice,

Protestant "conservatives" use this to justify sola scriptura and protestant "liberals", emphasizing "inspired of God" use it to justify how they cherry pick the scriptures because they "aren't all inspired".

Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject to higher powers: for there is no power but from God: and those that are, are ordained of God. 2 Therefore he that resister the power, resister the ordinance of God. And they that resist, purchase to themselves damnation. 3 For princes are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good: and thou shalt have praise from the same. 4 For he is God's minister to thee, for good. But if thou do that which is evil, fear: for he Bayreuth not the sword in vain. For he is God's minister: an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil. 5 Wherefore be subject of necessity, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake."

This has to be the most abused and misused passage, ever. Abused and misused either with malice (in the case of Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe) or out of thoughtlessness. The end result of this abuse of this passage is to keep everyone in line so as not to question the legitimacy of modern democracy. There is even a secret political protestant cabal in Washington D.C. called "The Family" who takes this passage to heart and claim all sorts of privileges in keeping the current status quo.

In general, most men claim that this passage "for there is no power but from God: and those that are, are ordained of God" is meant to include modern forms of democracy. Somehow these enlightened men believe that Saint Paul had modern forms of democracy in mind when he wrote this passage.

So you all must obey all modern forms of democracy because they are from God. They are Divinely Ordained because Saint Paul said so.

Here is one of the articles from last year on the abuse of this Passage by Robert Mugabe:

- The Zimbabwe Times - http://www.thezimbabwetimes.com -

Mugabe says only God will dethrone him

Posted By admin On June 20, 2008 @ 10:11 pm In News Headline of the day

[Image: mugabe.gif]
By Our Correspondent
BULAWAY0 - President Robert Mugabe yesterday said only God would remove him from power.
[-]
  •
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Most people take this to mean that it is wrong to criticise immoral behaviour, since none of us are sinless ourselves.  They conveniently forget that Christ told the woman to "go an sin no more" and that he saved her from being stoned to death, rather than criticised for the sin of adultery.

The line is commonly used by liberals who think anything goes and we should just "be nice" and smile at each other more and tolerate everything except the sin of intolerance.