Four SSPX Bishops send joint letter to the Pope
Saturday, February 07, 2009
[-]
  •
Let's get this reconciliation done and start fighting modernists! As soon as they are in they should start calling liberal prelates on the carpet and challenging them on their statements as compared to previous Popes. Let's get it on!
I hope and pray it happens soon.  We are seeing (true) ecumenism at work.
StevusMagnus Wrote:Let's get this reconciliation done and start fighting modernists! As soon as they are in they should start calling liberal prelates on the carpet and challenging them on their statements as compared to previous Popes. Let's get it on!

Steve, I really wish I could believe this. While the pope has not made any friends by "lifting" the phony "excommunications," he does deserve credit for his move. However his act was in the order of justice, not charity or indulgence. The idea that the SSPX are being called in so that they can ride to the rescue of the besieged traditional Christians in the Vatican doesn't seem to be holding water. The statements coming from the Vatican regarding the whole "Williamson Affair," show how rotten the official Church leadership actually is, as they fold like a house of cards to the will of public pressure and opinion. The SSPX has now officially been labeled in the minds of the stupid masses as "anti-Semitic." The liberals have roundly won this ecclesiastical battle.

Far from cleaning house once their irregular status within the Church is cleared up, I greatly fear the SSPX will be kept on a short leash; neutered as it were.
Credo,

I understand your fears. That is always a possibility. However, I think the Vatican and Fellay need to play this carefully until this nonsense dies down. Then once they are regularized the Vatican will publicly back them up and the Society will start to implement a game-plan to begin the restoration, hopefully with doctrinal clarification and back up from Rome at that point. They will be able to work unimpeded by local Modernist Bishops and basically run their own show. Barring them speaking on non-faith issues, I see them as having a lot of freedom.

The liberals won the battle but not the war. If the Society gets recognized with no concessions, libs lose and they know it. That's why they are raising Hell. Once the Society is in they can't play the suspended or excommunicated cards and they have to defend their novelties. These chumps can't hold a candle to the Society on the level of theological argument. All they can do is try to obfuscate and manipulate the media. It's going to be a civil war. The Society can not afford to back down when inside. They'll have their own Bishop under the Pope and thus will have more latitude to speak out than the FSSP and ICK. They'll be a force.
They'll have their own Bishop under the Pope and thus will have more latitude to speak out than the FSSP and ICK. They'll be a force.

This is really wishful thinking - at least it seems so to me. That's what was said about the groups listed above and others of their color... see what happened to them!
StevusMagnus Wrote:Credo,
...They'll have their own Bishop under the Pope and thus will have more latitude to speak out than the FSSP and ICK. They'll be a force.

I have to say I share Credo's fears on this and that I am a bit wary of the whole thing but I also share StevusMagnus' hopes.  We shall see.   The four bishops, and Fellay in particular, know that if they "sellout" to Rome, as the crank at tradito.com has been trumpeting for years now, they will lose lots of priests and most of the faithful.  We have not distanced ourselves from the rot of the new order just to say "oh, we can be part of the springtime too? Yippy! Michael row the boat ashore, allelujah "
Pray that we may be able to  balance our thoughts and actions with vigilance and that the Holy Ghost may effectively aid  our judgment with the theological virtues of Faith Hope and Charity and temper it with the 4 Moral Virtues of Prudence,Temperance, Prudence Justice, and Fortitude when we need to make or when we'll be asked to make a choice and decision in the end...

And pray that we worthily receive the GRACE of Final Perseverance!

OldMan Wrote:They'll have their own Bishop under the Pope and thus will have more latitude to speak out than the FSSP and ICK. They'll be a force.

This is really wishful thinking - at least it seems so to me. That's what was said about the groups listed above and others of their color... see what happened to them!

That's because the other groups reconciled too early and signed bad deals with no Bishop and dependent on working with the local NO Bishops. They were hamstrung from the beginning.

The Society is going to get doctrinal clarifications from Rome on VCII, benefiting all of us, plus they get protection from lib Bishops, and have their own Bishops, thus they are in a much stronger positions than these other groups.
StevusMagnus Wrote:That's because the other groups reconciled too early and signed bad deals with no Bishop and dependent on working with the local NO Bishops. They were hamstrung from the beginning.

The Society is going to get doctrinal clarifications from Rome on VCII, benefiting all of us, plus they get protection from lib Bishops, and have their own Bishops, thus they are in a much stronger positions than these other groups.

I agree. The SSPX will get a better deal. Plus, they're larger and more organized, anyway.

That being said, isn't it unusual for a society of priests to have its own bishop? The Superior General of the Society of Jesus, for example, is a mere priest.