Protestants Call on Pope to Accept Vatican II
bkovacs Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:
NorthernTrad Wrote:
Valz Wrote:Why would they want the Pope to "accept" a council that states that the Church of Christ subsists in the Roman Catholic Church, that this Church is necessary for salvation and that their communities are "deficient in some respects"?

Because it doesn't state that the Church of Christ is the Roman Catholic Church.

It doesn't state anything of value actually, and since according to Church law, it must be interpreted in line with tradition and all previous councils, it does by definition state all that.

Quote:
"I thought Protestants didn't believe in Vatican II, anyway? If so, why not Vatican I? Trent? Once you start accepting councils, before you know it, you're a papist!"

Probably because the Protestants took a large part in Vatican 2 and everything afterwards.
Vatican 1 was just to Catholic for them!.

I couldn't have said that better myself.
I'm still trying to figure out why and how six Protestant ministers even got one foot inside Vatican City, much less inside St. Peter's Basilica (if that is where V2 was held).
EKD is hopelessly liberal, "ordaining" women and invoking God's blessing for Sodomic partnerships in sin. We can surmise that their understanding of Vatican II is nothing less than a projection of their own debauched neo-pelagian theology, and that it is assumed that a faithulness to Vatican II will make the true Church like their anti-church.

It is always unusual that while traditionalists are chastised for making Vatican II out to be a modernist revolution in the Church, liberals are quick to insist the same in their own defense.
Valz Wrote:
bkovacs Wrote:Probably because the Protestants took a large part in Vatican 2 and everything afterwards.

In the eve of the Reformation, Protestants were invited to take part in the Council of Trent, not just to be observers but to present arguments and discuss. The Church then didn't seem to have a problem with this.

And granted safe conduct.

However, the degree of separation wasn't nearly as much back then as it is now. I mean, perhaps most of the Protestant leaders at that time were either ex-Catholic clergy or pretenders to episcopal sees that were nevertheless Catholic within living memory.
Munda_cor_meum Wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why and how six Protestant ministers even got one foot inside Vatican City, much less inside St. Peter's Basilica (if that is where V2 was held).

By way of clarification: while non-Catholics were informally consulted before and after sessions, they had absolutely no voting rights at the Council.
Credo Wrote:
StevusMagnus Wrote:Protestants call on Pope to unreservedly accept Vatican II

This just keeps getting more and more bizarre.

Welcome to Planet Earth, brother. We specialize in the bizarre. [Image: cuckoo.gif]
Valz Wrote:In the eve of the Reformation, Protestants were invited to take part in the Council of Trent, not just to be observers but to present arguments and discuss. The Church then didn't seem to have a problem with this.

It was good to have them hash out their heresies live, record them, and then anathematize them after they left.
Quote:Protestants Call on Pope to Accept Vatican II
:laughing:
Valz Wrote:Why would they want the Pope to "accept" a council that states that the Church of Christ subsists in the Roman Catholic Church, that this Church is necessary for salvation and that their communities are "deficient in some respects"?

Because they're not talking about the Second Vatican Council, of course... it's the "spirit" of Vatican II. In the minds of most Protestants I'm sure that reads "Vatican 2.0", like a new software, better than the last.
JonathanCid Wrote:

Because they're not talking about the Second Vatican Council, of course... it's the "spirit" of Vatican II. In the minds of most Protestants I'm sure that reads "Vatican 2.0", like a new software, better than the last.

The problem is that no one can tell where the "spirit" ends and the Council begins, and the actions of the Popes themselves indicate the problems in interpreting the Council. The fact that all these groups opposed to Catholicism are pushing the Council shows that they think the Council is a departure from what the Catholic Church taught before. Like other posters have pointed out, they aren't asking the Pope to stand by Vatican I or Trent.
The Fathers at Trent soon discovered they had made a mistake..

Quote:In the meantime, ambassadors from several Protestant princes and cities reached Trent. They made various demands, as: that the earlier decisions which were contrary to the Augsburg Confession should be recalled; that debates on questions in dispute between Catholics and Protestants should be deferred; that the subordination of the pope to an ecumenical council should be defined; and other propositions which the
[-]
  •