The Sermon Thread
It would be interesting if we had a running thread on the sermons we hear at mass (TLM or otherwise).

I went to a NO mass and the sermon was on demonic influence, the reality of hell and sinning.
Sermon was about how it does not matter how long you've been doing it, but the intensity of how you're doing it.

I went to ICRSS oratory once and I heard excellent sermon on how although we are all children of God by nature, we are not all children by grace.

EDIT: Although, I could barely understand the priest's French accent!

My usual FSSP sermons are usually a bit on the cliched side... repeating questions, phrases, etc

Ours was one of a series on the Commandments: today's was the eighth. It was really very good, he talked a lot about truth and falsehood in the context of Catholic teaching on evil as the absence of a good that should be there. And he mentioned how the word "honesty" comes from the Latin "to be clothed with honor".
Our pastor preached on the sufferings of Job. He did manage to get one joke in (inspired by the Gospel reading on Peter's mother-in-law) that I think is worth repeating. 

Three men were asked: If you only had 4 weeks to live, what would you do?

First man: I would give everything I owned to the poor.
Second man: I would go to confession and attend daily Mass.
Third man: I would move in with my mother-in-law.. It would be the longest 4 weeks of my life.

- Lisa
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:Our pastor preached on the sufferings of Job. He did manage to get one joke in (inspired by the Gospel reading on Peter's mother-in-law) that I think is worth repeating. 

Three men were asked: If you only had 4 weeks to live, what would you do?

First man: I would give everything I owned to the poor.
Second man: I would go to confession and attend daily Mass.
Third man: I would move in with my mother-in-law.. It would be the longest 4 weeks of my life.

- Lisa

Interesting. The priest did make a small comment about Peter's mother-in-law saying that it was an indication he was married (which he was, which is mentioned several times) and the alternative theory that he wasn't married, but was given a mother-in-law as penance. It snuck in towards the end.
Our priest mentioned St. Peter's mother in law, too. He basically joked that she was the reason why St. Peter denied Our Lord three times. Then he went off on a tangent about soap operas before finally returning to the topic of 'healing', with which he began his sermon.
There are some awesome sermons here:
http://www.audiosancto.org/
I went to Monday mass, a NO mass but at a different church.

The sermon was about creation and the fall of man and the reality of sin.

Quote:My usual FSSP sermons are usually a bit on the cliched side... repeating questions, phrases, etc

The only FSSP priest I've had contact with gives amazing sermons. On the Fourth Sunday After Epiphany, he talked about Aristotle for a while. Fantastic.
neel Wrote:
Quote:My usual FSSP sermons are usually a bit on the cliched side... repeating questions, phrases, etc

The only FSSP priest I've had contact with gives amazing sermons. On the Fourth Sunday After Epiphany, he talked about Aristotle for a while. Fantastic.

Agreed.  But the pastor at the FSSP chapel in my town (Fr. Wolfe) has a reputation as an orator.  Even when another priest offers Mass, he often comes out of the sacristy to deliver the daily sermon.  Sometimes his rhetoric is pretty austere or challenging to a person without a very well developed sense of scandal or moral gravitas (like me).  But I can't deny that the man's a good speaker. 

Per the terms of agreement with http://www.audiosancto.org, I can't say that a large bulk of the sermons on that site are Fr. Wolfe. [Image: wink.gif]  But it's a very good example of his... style.