Sandwich Bread
Mmmm, I really want to go and bake a loaf of bread after reading all of this! Too bad it's the middle of the night and everyone in the house is sleeping. :(

P.S. I had a series of bad experiences with a bread machine years ago, so now even the thought makes me cringe. For some reason, the machine always left a gaping hole in the middle of the loaf (I'm assuming it's where the mixing attachment was). Not fun. Definitely not sandwich-friendly.
I've had the same bread machine for over ten years now, I make on average about a loaf a day. Two, if dinner is pizza. But then I have teenagers in the house now. If it weren't for the bread machine, I couldn't keep up. There's no way I could do it by hand. Probably my bread's not as good as Satori's, but The bread it produces is way better then what you get in the store, baring any top of the line store bought loaves. And I dislike having to bring loaves of  bread home from the store because they're so easily squashed by the other groceries. Pesky.

Last week, during the knead cycle the thing danced it's way clear off my bakers rack and hit the floor with a crash. But it's still going strong.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:Bread should never be anywhere near a sandwich. All you need is a big wad of meat and a hefty slice of provolone or swiss. Roll it up. Olives, onions, etc. are allowed.

Spoken like a true otter, eh? And I am not a big fan of meat sandwiches myself, unless you mean one slice of meat between two other slices of meat ... but you can't beat a good tomato sandwich, or a lovely buttery grilled cheese. And sometimes even ye olde peanut butter and jelly just hits the spot.

Jaca, your bread is probably better than mine. I'm not an expert yet, and the sandwich bread I tried to make Sunday was an absolute bomb.
Deidre Wrote:Mmmm, I really want to go and bake a loaf of bread after reading all of this! Too bad it's the middle of the night and everyone in the house is sleeping. :(

P.S. I had a series of bad experiences with a bread machine years ago, so now even the thought makes me cringe. For some reason, the machine always left a gaping hole in the middle of the loaf (I'm assuming it's where the mixing attachment was). Not fun. Definitely not sandwich-friendly.

That hole in the bottom of the loaf is a disadvantage but we just always cut that bottom piece off. Labs, and no doubt other breeds, don't object to the hole at all. If you have no dog, you can always use that slice for bread crumbs. :eats:
I've recently been thinking about this thread, Satori. One more (important) thing I kept meaning to get back to you. The trick is to use day old bread. Slice it after it's been around a day. Yeah.  :) Works for me, anyway.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
All right, Jaca, I am HERE. I have successfully been making sandwiches with homemade bread for a while now. French bread!
(08-08-2010, 08:12 PM)Satori Wrote: All right, Jaca, I am HERE. I have successfully been making sandwiches with homemade bread for a while now. French bread!

Day old, Miss Satori. You must try. It slices best and holds together very well.
(08-08-2010, 08:14 PM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(08-08-2010, 08:12 PM)Satori Wrote: All right, Jaca, I am HERE. I have successfully been making sandwiches with homemade bread for a while now. French bread!

Day old, Miss Satori. You must try. It slices best and holds together very well.

It would HAVE to be day old. Fresh bread is too good to waste on sandwiches. Warm with butter, none of this sandwich nonsense.
:eats:
Tomorrow, methinks, is bread day.