The Errors of Opus Dei
Reichsjager Wrote:Ora et Labora, anyone? St. Benedict ironed out this rule to perfection in his Rule over a thousand years ago. Why does his great work have to be recycled under someone else's name?

Because the Church is very good at recycling, and re-introducing devotions and practices to the laity every few hundred years.  Read the preface to Introduction to the Devout Life  St. Francis even says he's not teaching anything new; just recycling past teachings.
I enjoy working in politics. What is the poitn of us all moaning about the state of the world and how sinful the world is if noone ever does anything to try to make laws more just, more pro-family, more pro-life. If one amendment I draft saves the life of one unborn child, that has to be a good thing. Christ would have died to redeem the sins of one person alone, so that soul of one child is worthwhile in His eyes. Besides, what is a "real" job? Surely anything moral is a real job?

I also don't think my whole spare time should (needs) to be devoted to reading the lives of the saints. Sure it's great, but if Benedict XVI as in the Pope, the leader of the Roman Catholic church, can play the piano, I can do other things than read the lives of saints.

Thirdly, I quoted St Josemaria Escriva because it seemed relevant, given that it was him who was being criticised. He is one of thousands of saints, but one whose writings have resonated with me.

Why is there a need? Why is there a need for hundreds of religious organisations? Couldn't they all pray and do good works? Why is there a need for anything? Because God in all His goodness and wisdom chose to increase the beauty of His creation. I for one am glad that he wanted Opus Dei, because it makes me happy! I couldn't imagine being a nun (although it would  be a blessing to be called to a religious) but He has chosen something else for me.

Why so much hate for JP2? Maybe I am just naive, but I thought that all orthdox Catholics were called to pray for and love the Pope? It was pride that also lead Luther to think he was above the Pope...

Deo Omnis Gloria
Welcome to the forum superduper :)

I don't know about Opus Dei so I won't say anything about it. But this:

Quote:What is the poitn of us all moaning about the state of the world and how sinful the world is if noone ever does anything to try to make laws more just, more pro-family, more pro-life.

While true, you have to go deeper and, like Vatican II pointed out in Gaudium Et Spes, real change in society won't come about by simply passing down laws, however just they may be. The discord we see in society emerges from the discord in the human heart. We do not simply need just laws, but just men who live by the truth of our faith.

There is indeed a strong tendency today to find a scapegoat to blame for all the evils of the world and to try and absolve ourselves from any responsibility. This attitude must be challenged and the way to challenge it is with evangelization, by preaching the truth of Catholicism so that the hearts of men may be healed by God's grace. And God's grace, once it touches a soul will not let it remain idle and will set it in motion like a wild fire leading it to live by and proclaim the turth to everyone and to seek to transform the world.

Thank you Valz

I completely agree with you!!!
Sure thing :)

The issue with Pope John Paul II, at least to me, has to do with the false ecumenism he engaged in which very much culminated in indifferentism and a neglect of duty. If you want to see a living example of this false ecumenism look for Cardinal Kasper.

Others may have different problems with him but to me that is the main issue.

But then, by creating more division and not showing unity with the Pope, don't we do a great disservice to our Mother, the Church?

Shouldn't we be trying to be positive, not just negative a critical? I don't think JP2 was the one who invented relativism!

I don't know, I just here so many Catholics who are depressed and it doesn't inspire people about the love of God, or the virtue of Hope, is we just share our despair with each other!!!

: )
superduper Wrote:But then, by creating more division and not showing unity with the Pope, don't we do a great disservice to our Mother, the Church?

It would indeed, if we fail to give legitimate obedience to the Pope. However, as Catholics we are not bound to think of everything the Pope does as good or to support it. It is perfectly legitimate for one to see some action of the Pope as doing great disservice to our Mother, the Church. False ecumenism is one example as it places her, the one bride of our Lord on the same footing as false religions. It gives the wrong impression to people and puts their souls in danger.

Quote:Shouldn't we be trying to be positive, not just negative a critical?

There is a time for both :)

Quote:I don't know, I just here so many Catholics who are depressed and it doesn't inspire people about the love of God, or the virtue of Hope, is we just share our despair with each other!!!

Some fellow Catholics may be overly negative but on the same vein others are overly positive and turn a blind eye to the real problems facing the Church today. Both extremes should be avoided. If you love The Church, it is reasonable to feel sad or depressed due to the turmoil she is going through right now. But if you love God, you can hope that eventually it is all for the sake of a greater good.

Many Spaniards call it "Octopus Dei," and in Argentina it is widely believed to be a "holy mafia." Many Jesuits, in particular, consider it heretical in both concept and practice—a sort of Catholic freemasonry.If thats not the pot calling the kettle black I dont know what is.
Caesar Wrote:Many Spaniards call it "Octopus Dei," and in Argentina it is widely believed to be a "holy mafia." Many Jesuits, in particular, consider it heretical in both concept and practice—a sort of Catholic freemasonry.If thats not the pot calling the kettle black I dont know what is.

Time Magazine. The phrase "Grand Orient" appears in only three articles in the archives. The word Freemasonry appears in only about 50. Yet they discovered a conspiratorial "Catholic Freemasonry."
superduper Wrote:But then, by creating more division and not showing unity with the Pope, don't we do a great disservice to our Mother, the Church?

Shouldn't we be trying to be positive, not just negative a critical? I don't think JP2 was the one who invented relativism!

Why so much hate for JP2? Maybe I am just naive, but I thought that all orthdox Catholics were called to pray for and love the Pope? It was pride that also lead Luther to think he was above the Pope...

You  have a personal prelature; we had an indult that was neither "wide" nor "generous"; so much for "feed my sheep".

Let us take a look at the following Latin Sentence "Pastores Dabo Vobis". 

Does anyone see what's wrong with it? If you said that Pastors should not be in the accusative plural, you're correct!

My own diocese has ordained nine men in ten years.  More Vietnamese Dominicans have been ordained here this year than native vocations have been or will be ordained in about a 4 year span.