Czar Nicholas-very interesting BIO
(11-27-2010, 08:19 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(11-27-2010, 08:05 PM)Cetil Wrote: A good book on Nicholas and the family is  Edvard Radzinsky's "The Last Tsar" . It's more up to date than Robert Massie's. Radzinsky had access to the Bolshevik archives so he add details Massie was not aware of. It's also good because it gives you the viewpoint of a native Russian.

I'll keep that in mind. Is it available at Amazon?

Looks like it: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Tsar-Life-Death-Nicholas/dp/0385469624/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1290903866&sr=8-5
(11-27-2010, 08:19 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(11-27-2010, 08:05 PM)Cetil Wrote: A good book on Nicholas and the family is  Edvard Radzinsky's "The Last Tsar" . It's more up to date than Robert Massie's. Radzinsky had access to the Bolshevik archives so he add details Massie was not aware of. It's also good because it gives you the viewpoint of a native Russian.

I'll keep that in mind. Is it available at Amazon?

Yep, you can even get used copies there cheap!

C.
(11-27-2010, 08:05 PM)Cetil Wrote: of Stalin would also be a fascinating read for Fisheaters, especially the details of Stalin's re-opening the churches during the war and bringing the priests back from the camps. OK, that's off topic but interesting.

C.

Stalin received a "Pilate". A man of power was told by the divine Lord that his actions are evil and there is also two interesting stories,one of the Eucharist and one of the Blessed Theotokos and Evervirgin Mary. The Lord worked many miracles through his saints and our lady for the good of the russian people.

The Holy Royal Family were amazing christians,there are many miracles attributed to them.This "Passion bearers" rather then "Martyrs" is wrong.
(11-27-2010, 05:22 PM)MarkOfEphesus Wrote: May the Holy Royal family of Russia pray for us all.

It was fascinating to me to see how the canonization of the Royal Family came about. Even though the Russian bishops voted for it, Alexei the previous Patriarch of Moscow was violently opposed to it. But then a Russian physician awoke one morning  on the anniversary of the October revolution to see that an icon he kept of the Tsar was streaming myrrh. It was moved to a Moscow church where many witnessed the miracle and it was even covered on CNN. That was when the Patriarch caved and canonized the family. This is another interesting site on the "Royal Russian martyrs": http://www.serfes.org/royal/anothermiracle.htm

C.
(11-27-2010, 08:34 PM)MarkOfEphesus Wrote:
(11-27-2010, 08:05 PM)Cetil Wrote: of Stalin would also be a fascinating read for Fisheaters, especially the details of Stalin's re-opening the churches during the war and bringing the priests back from the camps. OK, that's off topic but interesting.

C.

Stalin received a "Pilate". A man of power was told by the divine Lord that his actions are evil and there is also two interesting stories,one of the Eucharist and one of the Blessed Theotokos and Evervirgin Mary. The Lord worked many miracles through his saints and our lady for the good of the russian people.

The Holy Royal Family were amazing christians,there are many miracles attributed to them.This "Passion bearers" rather then "Martyrs" is wrong.

The story Radzinsky told of Stalin had to do with the dark days of  WWII. The metropolitan of Lebanon had gone into his cell to pray for the survival of Russia. On the third day of his prayers, he said the Virgin appeared to him and promised to save Russia, BUT she said the Churches must be re-opened and the priests brought back from the camps. The story made the rounds in Russia until Stalin himself finally heard of it. Frightened by the German successes he summoned the Patriarch of Moscow and agreed to both conditions. He also agreed to allow a new seminary and to give the Orthodox church a printing press but I don't think he made good on those.
I think this story had circulated for years but it as Edvard Radzinsky who was able to confirm it from the Russian archives.

C.
(11-27-2010, 08:45 PM)Cetil Wrote:
(11-27-2010, 08:34 PM)MarkOfEphesus Wrote:

C.

The story Radzinsky told of Stalin had to do with the dark days of  WWII. The metropolitan of Lebanon had gone into his cell to pray for the survival of Russia. On the third day of his prayers, he said the Virgin appeared to him and promised to save Russia, BUT she said the Churches must be re-opened and the priests brought back from the camps. The story made the rounds in Russia until Stalin himself finally heard of it. Frightened by the German successes he summoned the Patriarch of Moscow and agreed to both conditions. He also agreed to allow a new seminary and to give the Orthodox church a printing press but I don't think he made good on those.

C.

"When I have my own printing press, I will publish the Koran according to the most ancient manuscripts that belong to the disciples of the prophet Mohammed, and I will give it to Soviet Mohammedans."

- METROPOLITAN PITIRIM OF VOLOKOLAMSK,
the head of the Publishing Department
of the Moscow Patriarchate,
Declaration on Soviet Television
(see Vestnik Khristianskogo
Informatsionnogo Tsentra, #31,
Sept. 26, 1989, pp. 2-3]

They make excellent use of it.What are you talking about?
(11-27-2010, 08:49 PM)MarkOfEphesus Wrote: "When I have my own printing press, I will publish the Koran according to the most ancient manuscripts that belong to the disciples of the prophet Mohammed, and I will give it to Soviet Mohammedans."

Is this true?

Incredible.
(11-27-2010, 09:00 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(11-27-2010, 08:49 PM)MarkOfEphesus Wrote: "When I have my own printing press, I will publish the Koran according to the most ancient manuscripts that belong to the disciples of the prophet Mohammed, and I will give it to Soviet Mohammedans."

Is this true?

Incredible.

This is the spirit of the great deceiver,the evil one who hates truth and is king and father of lies.These actions come from him.

Neither of our churches is safe from the spirit of the pan-heresy of ecumenism
(11-26-2010, 07:06 PM)voxpopulisuxx Wrote: ...I was fully convinced that holy monarchy is tge greatest form of govt

I bet the Serfs and peasants throughout Europe felt the same.... :o
"Nicholas and Alexandra" is one of my all time favourite books  :) There is also online book written by Anna Virubova, Alexandra's best friend and Lady-in-Waiting. The name of the book is "Memories of the Russian Court". It can be read here : http://www.alexanderpalace.org/russiancourt2006/