Czar Nicholas-very interesting BIO
I'm not sure. I was trying to look around online for the answer and came across these interesting passages, though:
Quote:When von Baumgarten returned from Russia to Rome, Pope Benedict XV mentioned in the course of an audience[1] how gratified he felt that the records of the Vatican archives showed that Czar Paul I had become a Catholic at the end of his life. If Czar Paul had not been assassinated, at the instigation of foreign powers, Russia undoubtedly would have repaired her schism at that time.

Quote:A return of Russia to the Catholic Church would have been accomplished under the reign of Peter II if the Czar had not died prematurely. It is evident from a collection of manuscripts contained in the Slavic library of Paris, that Princess Irene Dolgorouky, daughter of Prince Peter Galitzin, who acted as Russian ambassador to the court of Vienna, negotiated with representatives of the Pope concerning a reunion in faith. She was converted in the year 1727 at Utrecht and came to Russia during the rule of Peter II, with definite proposals regarding a rapprochement with Rome. A member of the house of Dolgorouky, which was the ruling family at that time, was actually to have been appointed as patriarch of Russia and representative of the Holy Father. The untimely death of the monarch, however, frustrated these plans.

From: http://catholicism.org/royal-russian-con...itzin.html

Messages In This Thread
Re: Czar Nicholas-very interesting BIO - by Vivace - 11-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Re: Czar Nicholas-very interesting BIO - by Cetil - 11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Re: Czar Nicholas-very interesting BIO - by Cetil - 11-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Re: Czar Nicholas-very interesting BIO - by Cetil - 11-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Re: Czar Nicholas-very interesting BIO - by Cetil - 11-27-2010, 08:45 PM