Is confidence wrong?
I wonder about this question often: is confidence is oneself wrong?

By confidence, I don't mean the ability to save oneself from evil and sin apart from God. I'm not asking this question in relation to eternal salvation or holiness. I mean in every day life, if that makes sense. I'm not really sure how to explain it. Does anyone know what I'm saying? :) Really any discussion would be interesting!

Pax Christi tecum.

I wish I had more confidence.. not in myself, but in God; in what God is able to do through me if I trusted Him more.

- Lisa
I think I kind of get what you're saying, and no, it's not wrong. You have to strike a balance between pride and excessive humility. Like every virtue, really. The people with natural self confidence, the ones who know how to self-promote in the interview, have an easier time getting jobs, for sure! I wish I had this gift.
Anastasia Wrote:I think I kind of get what you're saying, and no, it's not wrong. You have to strike a balance between pride and excessive humility. Like every virtue, really. The people with natural self confidence, the ones who know how to self-promote in the interview, have an easier time getting jobs, for sure! I wish I had this gift.

Yes, that's really the crux of my question. I always associate self-promotion or having confidence in what one is saying (which means going over against someone else) as prideful. It seems to me that in order to be like that you need to have a mentality of "I can do this and I am capable" etc

To some degree self-confidence seems to mean disregarding the opinions and thoughts of others, which maybe is a good thing after all, at times.

Pax Christi tecum
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:I wish I had more confidence.. not in myself, but in God; in what God is able to do through me if I trusted Him more.

- Lisa

Yes, as do I. How do we develop that more (beyond asking for it in prayer)?

Pax Christi tecum.
I think the modern world places too much confidence in the person. But in of itself it's not bad, as low self esteem can have poor effects on what a person does.
However our confidence should mainly be directed towards God, lest we become prideful.
Quote:Originally Posted by didishroom
I think the modern world places too much confidence in the person. But in of itself it's not bad, as low self esteem can have poor effects on what a person does.
However our confidence should mainly be directed towards God, lest we become prideful.

I agree that our confidence should mainly be directed towards God. And, part of that is humbly accepting that God desires our confidence in our particular gifts and talents and sharing them with others. When we squander our talents through a filter of false humility (ie., quipping we have good luck) we fall into self-pity. If we lord our talents with pride, we take full credit for whatever we achieved.

A priest once explained matters of self-esteem in the way they're directly related to virtues. He said the true aim of self-esteem is that it perfects our interior.

He gave an example of someone being congratulated for doing a great job -- the right response is a sincere "Thank you."

Humility is acknowledging what is true and what is not, and stands between pride and self-pity. Without self-esteem, one starts to catalogue their wrongs, plays attacker and victim, or puts unnecessary conditions on self-esteem. Self-esteem is to be developed in order to love.

CarmeliteAtHeart Wrote:I wonder about this question often: is confidence is oneself wrong?

By confidence, I don't mean the ability to save oneself from evil and sin apart from God. I'm not asking this question in relation to eternal salvation or holiness. I mean in every day life, if that makes sense. I'm not really sure how to explain it. Does anyone know what I'm saying? :) Really any discussion would be interesting!

Pax Christi tecum.

A man should know his limitations. That is the words of the Man with No Name, it is also very much in line with the Church. If we know our limitations, we know by extension our abilities.
I think too that expressing gratitude to God for the gifts He has given us is helpful. Acknowledging that God has given us a gift is a far cry from being prideful about our abilities--the latter would be acting as if there was something about ourselves that earned or deserved the gift. However, the former allows us to use our gifts in His service.
I think confidence is fine as long as we remember that any gifts we have are from God and should be used for His honor and glory.

We wouldn't want St. Paul to have lackd confidence in preaching, for example.  Or a surgeon about to cut us open be afraid to do so.

Confidence is a good thing unless it becomes pride.