Hans Kung: Obama would make better pope
MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:Anyone just think he's saying this to get attention?  He's been out of the Catholic media for a while, so now he needs to be re-exposed.

I hardly doubt he believes half the crap he says...

No, he must surely believe it.  He is either a madman or a heretic through and through.  There is no way that someone who believed anything about Catholicism could say some of these things without fearing damnation.

This guy is an idiot.  The funny thing is that in another 20 years he and all those like him will be dead anyway and the oppressive, backward, superstitious, patriarchal Church will regain its footing and forget he ever existed... just a glorified speed bump.
"Anyway, it's ironic that he considers Benedict and the Church to be oppressive, yet Obama is in favor of denying infants the right to life...the ultimate oppression."
This reminds me of the kind of reasoning Chesterton went through as a young man which he documents in "Orthodoxy" - the simple fact that critics of Christianity are firstly wrong in fact, and secondly doing the same things that they accuse Christians of themselves.

JonathanCid Wrote:I'd like evidence of this cult being established by President Obama. I suppose you could say Obama supporters are extremely enthusiastic about him, follow his every move, support him with all their little hearts, and are moved by him at the deepest level - but that would qualify Bishop Williamson and his supporters as being of a cult mentality. It would also be the standard by which Protestants call Catholics "Pope-worshipers" and call Catholicism cult-like.

It's a great slur to accuse someone of having a cult when they are successful, because it's easy to do that to anyone with a following, but the evidence itself doesn't follow... it's just that - a slur.

Obama had all that with no prior record of being anything other than average or worse. Obama did all that by making impossible promises and setting vague goals he cannot keep. Obama did all that by making the same meaningless speech over and over. Obama did that by gaining the favour of the press and courts, and has not yet produced a birth certificate. Obama has not done anything of value ever. Why is he suddenly laudable?

He is not successful, he is a figurehead for a movement.

The reason people pray for and respect the Pope is because of His responsibility given to him by God. The reason Bishop Williamson has listeners is because he speaks words they want to hear and are useful. Bishop Williamson is very well spoken, even if you don't disagree with him, and can make educated statements on the areas he has authority without reading a prompting and crowds chanting his name.
Valz Wrote:
alaric Wrote:Why don't they just declare Obama a god and get it over with.

[Image: obama_messiah.jpg][Image: obama-messiah.jpg]

I am absolutely terrified.
LaRoza Wrote:
JonathanCid Wrote:I'd like evidence of this cult being established by President Obama. I suppose you could say Obama supporters are extremely enthusiastic about him, follow his every move, support him with all their little hearts, and are moved by him at the deepest level - but that would qualify Bishop Williamson and his supporters as being of a cult mentality. It would also be the standard by which Protestants call Catholics "Pope-worshipers" and call Catholicism cult-like.

It's a great slur to accuse someone of having a cult when they are successful, because it's easy to do that to anyone with a following, but the evidence itself doesn't follow... it's just that - a slur.

Obama had all that with no prior record of being anything other than average or worse. Obama did all that by making impossible promises and setting vague goals he cannot keep. Obama did all that by making the same meaningless speech over and over. Obama did that by gaining the favour of the press and courts, and has not yet produced a birth certificate. Obama has not done anything of value ever. Why is he suddenly laudable?

He is not successful, he is a figurehead for a movement.

The reason people pray for and respect the Pope is because of His responsibility given to him by God. The reason Bishop Williamson has listeners is because he speaks words they want to hear and are useful. Bishop Williamson is very well spoken, even if you don't disagree with him, and can make educated statements on the areas he has authority without reading a prompting and crowds chanting his name.

Whether he should be liked or not is a separate issue. The same characteristics demonstrated by Obama fans are demonstrated by Williamson's fans.
JonathanCid Wrote:Whether he should be liked or not is a separate issue. The same characteristics demonstrated by Obama fans are demonstrated by Williamson's fans.

I doubt that, but even if it were so, Williamson actually does things, Obama doesn't.
LaRoza Wrote:
JonathanCid Wrote:Whether he should be liked or not is a separate issue. The same characteristics demonstrated by Obama fans are demonstrated by Williamson's fans.

I doubt that, but even if it were so, Williamson actually does things, Obama doesn't.

That is a separate issue that I'd be happy to discuss in another thread or a PM. :) But nonetheless, the characteristics remain the same.
JonathanCid Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:

That is a separate issue that I'd be happy to discuss in another thread or a PM. :) But nonetheless, the characteristics remain the same.

It is about the person himself, not his followers. That is what I'm saying. Some people deserve the respect and position of authority, but some get it who do not deserve it.

Also, the comparison of Bishop Williamson to Obama is very insulting to the Bishop. Obama openly stated that some babies (note: even those already born) do not have the right to life.

There is no such thing as "Williamson's fans". Your analogy is presumptuous and insulting.
Bonifacio Wrote:

There is no such thing as "Williamson's fans". Your analogy is presumptuous and insulting.

If one tenth of the number of Obama supports supported Williamson with the same zeal Obama supports have, this world would be a much better place.