Beer
I celebrated my 21st birthday today and celebrated with a few friends.  However, I really was not that fond of the beers I tried.  Is it an acquired taste?  Or perhaps is it just that I had bad beers (Budweiser and Sam Adams)?  I'd also like to probe the fish tank for suggestions on good beers, mixes, etc.

I was quite pleased with Jack and Coke...

MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:I celebrated my 21st birthday today and celebrated with a few friends.  However, I really was not that fond of the beers I tried.  Is it an acquired taste?  Or perhaps is it just that I had bad beers (Budweiser and Sam Adams)?  I'd also like to probe the fish tank for suggestions on good beers, mixes, etc.

lol. Don't drink too much.

Anyway, Budweiser is no good, Sam Adams is a bit bitter, if I recall correctly.

You might want to try an ale if you like sweet stuff. Whiskey and Coke? Sounds like a waste of whiskey.

I recommend Trappist Ale. Though it's a bit expensive. I've never had much luck with beer in America. It has never been as good as the stuff I had in Frankfurt as a kid.

Blue Moon is a good Belgian-style beer. It's fairly light, so you might like it even if you're not generally much of a beer person.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a classic cheapskate beer, lol.

I don't like Sam Adams.

Beck's is good too. You might also try a Weizen (Erdinger's maybe) sometime. Both are relatively light.
Can you find any New Belgium beers? The Fat Tire is the most popular, bu they have a lot of good seasonal stuff: Skinny Dip is great if you light the lighter variety.
MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:I celebrated my 21st birthday today and celebrated with a few friends.  However, I really was not that fond of the beers I tried.  Is it an acquired taste?  Or perhaps is it just that I had bad beers (Budweiser and Sam Adams)?  I'd also like to probe the fish tank for suggestions on good beers, mixes, etc.

I turned 21 a few days ago, and I didn't drink. Why is there a push?
I don't know how much you want to spend, but pretty much anything Belgian is good. A plus if it's made by monks...

The Trappist Ales are pretty much the gold standard, though a few aren't available much outside of Belgium. Unibroue is from Quebec, but very much the Belgian style. (I especially recommend Fin du Monde, and Don de Dieu).

I don't know what microbrews are popular in your area, but I'm also pretty fond of anything from Rogue Brewery or Allagash.

Try a decent variety and see what you like. People tend not to drink Budweiser for the flavor. I've offered Fin du Monde to people that say that hate beer and they're always amazed. (I don't work for them or anything. It's just amazing beer)

Beer is an acquired taste-- like all things that are bitter (ie coffee).

When people are new to alcohol, they like sweet things.  Rum & Coke or Whiskey & Coke.  Margaritas.  Anything mixed with sour (Midori, amaretto, whiskey come to mind).  Sweet wines like White Zinfandels or Reislings are fine if you're female... which you're not.  Fortified wines like "Boone's Farm" (Mrs. Roamin' would like to buried with a bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Wine) are good for female home consumption, but you can't find them at bars.  I'm afraid that your manliness is in serious jeopardy if you drink White Zin or Boone's Farm-- Reisling has no gender (but isn't the thing you can slam all night long).

You also won't like gin at first, because it tastes like pinecone extract.  It's called the "drinker's drink" because it takes some practice to appreciate the layers of flavors in gin (like learning to distinguish juniper flavors from botanical flavors).  But there's nothing more refreshing on a hot day after a long round of golf than a glass of Tanquerray Gin & Tonic.

There are beers that are masculine and are easy on a new drinker.  If you're anywhere near the midwest, you might be able to find Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat-- it's a good beer that will treat you well for many many years.  Sam Adams make a cherry wheat that some people like.  I think it tastes like wretch, but I don't like cherry anything.  A lot of new drinkers like Honey Brown beer (if you can find it).

Some people swear by Woodchuck/Woodpecker/Strongbow hard ciders.  They're apple cider, not beer.  But close enough.

I think that all men who drink alcohol should learn to like a masculine drink.  Not like drinking E85 or anything, but stuff that isn't candy sweet.  My suggestion is to go for Vodka & Tonic with a couple limes in it-- it's dry and fizzy and is a drink that new drinkers and old drinkers can enjoy.  If you've got a little extra in the war-chest, spring for "Hangar One" lime-infused vodka.  It's one of the finest glasses of hootch that I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

Cheers!
LaRoza Wrote:I turned 21 a few days ago, and I didn't drink. Why is there a push?

When you reach that age you just want to see what all the fuss is about paying 6 dollars for 2 dollars worth of beer.

Edit: I'm surprised nobody here likes budweiser; I think it's good when it's a hot day and the beer is chilled to minus a bajillion (served in an equally chilled glass)

Honey brown is usually pretty good too;

and stay away from canned beer; if you want to drink something exotic like Molson Canadian and you can't get it draught, fly, fly away..
Tiny Wrote:When you reach that age you just want to see what all the fuss is about paying 6 dollars for 2 dollars worth of beer.

I didn't know beer was that expensive in the US.
Bonifacio Wrote:I didn't know beer was that expensive in the US.

In a bar there is going to be a mark up, and that usually depends on the bar. At a sporting event they really hike up the price, not only that but they water it down too.