Beer
Walty Wrote:That's not just my Wisconsin bias, but an objective taste fact.
 If you ever come up to Wisconsin make sure to get a New Glarus Spotted Cow. 

New Glarus is delicious.  I have not heard a single bad thing about it yet, and everyone in my family just loves it (even my non-beer-fan relatives)

Hello fellow Wisconsinite!

HIGH LIFE!
Gin is good, but this is about beer...  Sitting here, enjoying a nice Shiner Bock.  Ahhh!  What a treat! 

At home, there's some Guinness, some Spanish beer (probably Estrella), and some wine.
Some New Belgium brews would be good.  Trippel and 1554 are quite tasty.
Leinies are good, too.  I was introduced to them, while I did some work in Wis-cAn-sin.  They're owned by Miller, now, are they not?

Nothing like a nice cold Smithwicks, or a bock, after cleaning up the mess left behind by the ice storm.  Too  bad the power-line crews couldn't enjoy a cold brew, after a hard day's (and night's) work, here.  NW Arkansas was left a mess, btw. 

LaRoza Wrote:I turned 21 a few days ago, and I didn't drink. Why is there a push?

Dunno,  The first time I got carded, was when I turned 21, at a bar in the States.  Before that, I drank everywhere I went.
I think it's the novelty.  I don't remember, now.

This is based upon my somewhat limited experience but here goes.Macro beers don't generally taste great but they go down easily enough(there are some notable exceptions:Sam Adams varieties, Becks etc.). It takes some time to fully appreciate beer. There are dozens of types of beer and hundreds(probably thousands of brands) of brands, so you are not likely to run out of new flavors to try. Wine is more quickly appreciated by those new to alcoholic beverages, so you might want to start there, white wines are usually quite mild, and red ones are quite acidic. Beer may be an acquired taste to most, but liquor surely is an acquired taste(neat), to be honest I don't like the taste of most liquor, it often tastes like nasty poisonous chemicals(that taste so bad but feel so good).

Ewe da man, sheep.  :tiphat:

(02-11-2009, 12:08 AM)Telemaque Wrote:
MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote:I celebrated my 21st birthday today and celebrated with a few friends.  However, I really was not that fond of the beers I tried.  Is it an acquired taste?  Or perhaps is it just that I had bad beers (Budweiser and Sam Adams)?  I'd also like to probe the fish tank for suggestions on good beers, mixes, etc.

I was quite pleased with Jack and Coke...

lol.  Don't drink too much.

Anyway, Budweiser is no good, Sam Adams is a bit bitter, if I recall correctly. 

Have you been appointed the beer czar for the forum?

Bud is a fine, inexpensive lager. Sam Adams is a good beer too. Saying "Budweiser is no good" is silly..that is your opinion.

Definitely CHIMAY

http://www.chimay.com/en/intro_216.php

Trappist monks............you cant go wrong.

9% vol................................you definitely cant go wrong

[Image: a2_a1_fbleue.jpg]                                          [Image: a2_a1_fmagnum.jpg]

[Image: a2_a1_frouge.jpg]                                        [Image: a2_a1_ftriple.jpg]
From the other beer thread. http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg30038538

(11-18-2008, 01:25 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: (1) Bump

(2) Remember:
Quote:[quote]major: All people like beer.
minor: I like beer.
conclusion: I am a person.

(3) Favorites, depending on activity, season, cuisine, price, mood:
[Image: images54schlitz.jpg]
[Image: IronCity.jpg] 
[Image: BassAle.jpg]
[Image: PacificoClara.jpg]
[Image: bobs47.jpg]
[Image: 00144.gif]
[Image: pope_beer.jpg]
(02-11-2009, 12:03 AM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: I celebrated my 21st birthday today and celebrated with a few friends.  However, I really was not that fond of the beers I tried.  Is it an acquired taste?  Or perhaps is it just that I had bad beers (Budweiser and Sam Adams)?  I'd also like to probe the fish tank for suggestions on good beers, mixes, etc.

I was quite pleased with Jack and Coke...

IMO, do not drink commercial beer; except for a select few. Make your own. You will then grow to love beer. I liked beer before I made my own, but when I started making it, I thought I had died and went to heaven. It's that good. Anyhow, cheers! :cheers:
Is drinking beer an acquired taste?

Definitely, such as drinking wine or smoking cigars (or cigarettes).

I love them all, I confess.
I've never found beer to be an aquired taste....maybe its an American thing. But then again my Dad was letting me take sips of his beer since I was a young'un. But then again I always enjoyed it.
We Canadians take a lot of pride in our beer..I bartended a banquet last night and a man from Chicago asked for, "a light beer"
I offered him Budweiser (utter filth in my opinion) or Canadian (not amazing, but lovely none the less) and he said, "thats not light at all!"

I had to restrain myself from laughing.  :pazzo:

I had Rolling Rock when I was in California. I could have just drank tap water and saved myself the money...but it was my first time in America.

Belgian Trappist Ales are regularly rated #1 in the world...including ones mad in Quebec, such as Maudite, Don de Die, Le Fin du Monde, etc.
All of them are delicious, and quite unlike most beer you find at your regular neighbourhood North American bar.

Kroeneburg 1664 is beautiful. From France. And available ON TAP in French McDonald's. How wonderful is that?

Pretty much anything from Germany is amazing. I'm convinced Angels drink German brew.