Beer
(01-09-2010, 06:57 PM)Gman Wrote: Oh wow! I'd love to do something like that. Did you manage to get your hands on the elusive Westvleteren?

Yes! And it certainly was good, but Ill be straight out honest, Chimay Blue is much better tasting, its widely available in Belgium, but only at certain times of the year as far I know. They only brew so much of it. I think its one of the only beers that the Monks themselves brew. The Chimay brewery is mostly lay workers, more of a business really. Whereas Westvleteren supports an individual monastery (which I never made it to.)  They still have some trappist vocations there, they arent totally modernist, but still not much better than anywhere else.

The Belgians take the beer very seriously though, I mean the sheer variety of beer glasses available and used in Belgian bars is incredible (and every barman has his own opinion on which one is the best to drink out of)

I like that about Belgium, its not so much about the effects of the alcohol as it is about the taste of the beer.
(01-09-2010, 07:01 PM)Walty Wrote: I definitely believe it which just goes to show how outstanding Belgian beer is. I can't imagine how good their premium stuff is.

LOL, you have no idea! I actually had to pay close to 30 euro for one of the beers in a pub one night - luckily I had downed a lot of alcohol that day and I was in a good mood.
met a guy recently that swears by Murphy's. dunno why anybody would want to drink toilet water...
(01-09-2010, 07:52 PM)Arun Wrote: met a guy recently that swears by Murphy's. dunno why anybody would want to drink toilet water...

You mean Murphy's stout?

Anybody that has drank that, will admit it has the edge over guinness? I didnt know it was available abroad though! In fact I live about 2 hours from the Murphy's brewery and I cant get it in most of the pubs down here......or beamish for that matter....bastards....
Yeah couple pubs in town carry it. I hate the stuff. IMO nothing has the edge over fresh Guinness.
(01-09-2010, 08:00 PM)Arun Wrote: Yeah couple pubs in town carry it. I hate the stuff. IMO nothing has the edge over fresh Guinness.

Well I cant really argue there, except that the saying goes that Guinness doesnt travel. The farther you go...the less it tastes like guiness
Yep, you got that right. But even a well-travelled Guinness beats anything locally made around here.