Catholicism is NOT just another life choice
Teacher terminated over marriage
[-]
  •
Quote:She said she is not bitter against the high school, just upset by the decisions of some that run counter to her concept of Christianity.
“I think that's what being Christian is all about, looking at the whole person, and taking value from the person,” she said. “Not only that, but accepting other faiths.”

I believe that about sums it up.

Quote:Two days after the wedding, the couple traveled to Cripple Creek, Colo., for their honeymoon, where LaFortune's husband called his ex-wife to relay the entire troubled saga. According to LaFortune, the ex-wife told him their previous marriage had, in fact, been annulled, something she had sought.
Quote::lol: Wow. Raised Catholic and still didn't even consider an annulment but the ex-wife did. *shakes head*
The newlyweds were stunned. LaFortune grew upset. Her husband said he had no recollection of an annulment. “We didn't talk for about two days on the honeymoon,” LaFortune said. “It was very, very, very bitter news.”

:rolleyes:

This just keeps getting more absurd. First, she's a Catholic working at a Catholic school. But she shouldn't be held to Catholic standards, good Lord no.

Then the hub-bub about her fiance not getting an annulment leads to her termination (something which she most certainly could have prevented had they but applied for one in the first place...) And then to find out that the ex-wife had actually sought one on the first marriage... It's so absurd that it's downright funny. This girl should just take what she can get and keep walking (and next time to a non-Catholic school).

What's really sad about this is that the students are probably going to side with her, believe she was unjustly treated and resent the Church's "outdated and archaic" view of marriage.
Or maybe the school will use this as an opportunity to expound on the Church's teaching about marriage. Sounds like those in charge of this school at least have balls, something that's been sadly lacking in the past few decades.
So now that her partner's first marriage was infact "annulled" this means she can have her wedding blessed in a Catholic Church..... I wonder if she will do it?

This kind of thing is what happens when people are ingnorant of the faith..... They have no clue what they are talking about.
winoblue1 Wrote:So now that her partner's first marriage was infact "annulled" this means she can have her wedding blessed in a Catholic Church..... I wonder if she will do it?

This kind of thing is what happens when people are ingnorant of the faith..... They have no clue what they are talking about.

Why would she do such a thing? The article seems to make it quite clear that she is apostate.
"Reached on Monday, Cunningham said the high school does not ask all its Catholic employees whether the Catholic Church would consider their marriages valid."

The school hires non-Catholics, too, and surely doesn't investigate their marital situations if it doesn't ask Catholic employees whether their marriages are valid.

This one teacher was singled out because she was marrying a divorced man and, when asked, told the principal what she thought was the truth, that his first marriage had not been annulled. (The irony that it had been annulled is really something. I don't know how he could not know that his first wife had gotten a decree of nullity.) I expect some of the students will leave the Church in part because of the way this teacher was treated. The school should have been a bit more concerned about saving souls, both the teacher's and her students', and found a better way to resolve this.

The teacher may not have a good understanding of Catholic teachings but it's especially annoying to see a 25 year-old fired for violating a Church teaching when bishops and cardinals two or three times her age, men who received far better catechesis than she did, can express public disagreement with essential Church teachings and not be excommunicated or punished in any way. The scandal those men cause is far greater than this one.

PaxVobiscum Wrote:"Reached on Monday, Cunningham said the high school does not ask all its Catholic employees whether the Catholic Church would consider their marriages valid."

The school hires non-Catholics, too, and surely doesn't investigate their marital situations if it doesn't ask Catholic employees whether their marriages are valid.

This one teacher was singled out because she was marrying a divorced man and, when asked, told the principal what she thought was the truth, that his first marriage had not been annulled. (The irony that it had been annulled is really something. I don't know how he could not know that his first wife had gotten a decree of nullity.) I expect some of the students will leave the Church in part because of the way this teacher was treated. The school should have been a bit more concerned about saving souls, both the teacher's and her students', and found a better way to resolve this.

The teacher may not have a good understanding of Catholic teachings but it's especially annoying to see a 25 year-old fired for violating a Church teaching when bishops and cardinals two or three times her age, men who received far better catechesis than she did, can express public disagreement with essential Church teachings and not be excommunicated or punished in any way. The scandal those men cause is far greater than this one.

True, but it is not within the authority of this particular high school principal to depose problematic bishops and cardinals. But he can preserve his school from being tainted by the scandalous marriage of an apostate employee.
Caesar Wrote:
PaxVobiscum Wrote:"Reached on Monday, Cunningham said the high school does not ask all its Catholic employees whether the Catholic Church would consider their marriages valid."

True, but it is not within the authority of this particular high school principal to depose problematic bishops and cardinals. But he can preserve his school from being tainted by the scandalous marriage of an apostate employee.

But in fact the principal has given a lot of people an excuse for anti-Catholic sentiment by what he has done and also driven the teacher further into apostasy. He created a greater scandal than the teacher did. She'll likely be an enemy of the Church for the rest of her life and so will some of her students. It didn't have to be this way. He could have ignored her marriage and quietly let her go at the end of the school year, after the students were out of school, without giving her a reason for her termination. She'd have suspected what the reason was but been unable to prove it. There would have been no story. You know people will say "They fired this teacher but they protect pedophile priests." Very bad for the Church's image.

PaxVobiscum Wrote:But in fact the principal has given a lot of people an excuse for anti-Catholic sentiment by what he has done and also driven the teacher further into apostasy. He created a greater scandal than the teacher did. She'll likely be an enemy of the Church for the rest of her life and so will some of her students. It didn't have to be this way. He could have ignored her marriage and quietly let her go at the end of the school year, after the students were out of school, without giving her a reason for her termination. She'd have suspected what the reason was but been unable to prove it. There would have been no story. You know people will say "They fired this teacher but they protect pedophile priests." Very bad for the Church's image.

Please!

So now to uphold Church teaching loud and clear is "very bad for the Church's image"! What kind of twisted logic is that? It seems to me it's the very same logic our spineless churchmen use to appease International Jewry by silencing or denying the teaching of the Church concerning salvation.

Your assumptions are wrong, Pax. The teacher was already causing a grave scandal by marrying a divorced man, something that often goes unpunished and unnoticed since many catholics no longer believe in the indissolubility of marriage. If she could get away with that and continue lecturing, it would be another stab in the back of the Church's teaching on marriage in the eyes of the students.

If she or her students now become "enemies of the Church" because the school uphold Church teaching, then frankly it is their problem. We won't deny the truths of the Faith just to make people feel better; that is the most uncharitable thing we could do.

This school board had a catholic spine for once. Let's praise them on that.

I still maintain this was badly handled but will not spend more time arguing the point with those who are delighted that the teacher was fired. I would ask that you think about all the "pedophile" priests who were/are allowed to remain in ministry, having sex with teenaged boys for the most part (thus they're not pedophiles but ephebophiles.)

Is it worse for a teacher to break the Church's marriage laws or for a priest, who is supposed to be chaste, to have sex with teenaged parishioners? As I said, a lot of people, including Catholics and including the students at that school, will compare what happened to the teacher with what didn't happen to the sexually abusive priests. Not many will be roooting for the school or the Church on this.