To all forum members: Criticism of priests
Heinrich Wrote:OK, so what if a priest is negligent in his duties? For example, he takes an inordinate amount of personal time to dedicate to his hobby, fails to administer to the needs of his community time and time and time again, breaks the seal of confession, turns away people who are pursuing the Faith(tells them to go to another parish), etc., etc., etc. ? Seriously. Should one just say, "Oh, you know how Fr. So and So is. Whaddya gonna do?"

Tell his superior and pray.
Quote:Canon 212: §1. Conscious of their own responsibility, the Christian faithful are bound to follow with Christian obedience those things which the sacred pastors, inasmuch as they represent Christ, declare as teachers of the faith or establish as rulers of the Church.
§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires.
§3. According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.
There is due criticism and undue criticism.  If a priest holds a "clown Mass" then we have a duty because it is sacrilege.  The duty may include: speaking to the priest privately, speaking to the priest with several members of the parish, writing the bishop, writing Rome, but it may also include making the opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful that this priest is performing sacrilegous Masses.

If a bishop in a newspaper interview says, "Oh, missing Mass is no longer a Mortal Sin" then that certainly justly invites more public outcry than a priest who says "that isn't a sin" during a private Confession.

We're not supposed to sit quiet and "take it".   The difference between Luther, the Orthodox, and objecting to one of Cdl. Mahoney's love fests is that we don't intend to deny the Church as they did.  There is a difference between criticism / correction and rebellion.  There is no comparison.

LaRoza Wrote:
Heinrich Wrote:OK, so what if a priest is negligent in his duties? For example, he takes an inordinate amount of personal time to dedicate to his hobby, fails to administer to the needs of his community time and time and time again, breaks the seal of confession, turns away people who are pursuing the Faith(tells them to go to another parish), etc., etc., etc. ? Seriously. Should one just say, "Oh, you know how Fr. So and So is. Whaddya gonna do?"

'Tis a silly question, as that is precisely answered in the first post.

Pray to God for the priest.

That's great.  But also cf. Canon 212 especially section 2:

§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires

If he's not being a good pastor, he should be told, and if he continues, the bishop should be told, then Rome, etc.

QuisUtDeus Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:

'Tis a silly question, as that is precisely answered in the first post.

Pray to God for the priest.

That's great.  But also cf. Canon 212 especially section 2:

§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires

If he's not being a good pastor, he should be told, and if he continues, the bishop should be told, then Rome, etc.

Yes, but calling him a heretic on the forum and wishing he is excommunicated is definately not the answer.
The words of St. Thomas Aquinas are more than fitting here:

"We must realize, however, that if there was question of a danger for the faith, the superiors would have to be rebuked by their inferiors, even in public."

I know Sts. Robert Bellarmine and Peter Damian said similar things, but I don't have the exact quotes handy at present.
CrusaderKing Wrote:The words of St. Thomas Aquinas are more than fitting here:

"We must realize, however, that if there was question of a danger for the faith, the superiors would have to be rebuked by their inferiors, even in public."

I know Sts. Robert Bellarmine and Peter Damian said similar things, but I don't have the exact quotes handy at present.

Exactly, it must be done properly and with decorum, not mob mentalities on the internet or other gossip groups. If people wish to complain that Cardinal LaRoza said some heresy, report it to the superiors if appropriate and pray rather than trying to spread stories about the person in the name of "education" (I am beginning to doubt the source of the original, although I think its words are wise).
Yeah, that Pieta book is bad news. Best to stay away.
DrBombay Wrote:Yeah, that Pieta book is bad news. Best to stay away.

Evidence and reasoning?

I got it because it had the text of prayers I wanted but were never in the same easily used book before. It seems to be a bit out of date though, but out of date isn't bad when you know what has changed.
LaRoza Wrote:
DrBombay Wrote:Yeah, that Pieta book is bad news. Best to stay away.

Evidence and reasoning?

I got it because it had the text of prayers I wanted but were never in the same easily used book before. It seems to be a bit out of date though, but out of date isn't bad when you know what has changed.

I think Doc was being sarcastic.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:I think Doc was being sarcastic.

I saw some other people claiming it was the work of Satan and demonic in nature (their claims were based on either vague words, possibly antiquated passages, which I cannot blame or just disagreement)

I got it because it contains many devotions which I want to keep handy including the St. Michael's Chaplet.