To all forum members: Criticism of priests
LaRoza Wrote:
Telemaque Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:Lay people should not be correcting priests. I have no right to rebuke some people who have fallen from the faith around me, so what do I do? Green scapular and prayer. That is not only the only thing I can do, it is the best thing I can do.

When priests become publicly infamous like Lehmann and Kasper (and many others), then it is not a matter of not knowing one's place.

Why? History if full of people who rebuked people above them instead of praying and it has all lead to schisms and heresies. Luther say problems in the Church and instead of stopping at fixing them and praying, he elevated himself above the Church and has caused many to go astray.

The Pope will handle those Cardinals, we will pray for the Pope and the cardinals and all priests.

And that is precisely to which I was referring. What was gained by maligning the names of those two people? Could you not speak truth and condemn heresy without judging individuals?
But history is also full of people who rebuked those above them, yet they also continued to pray for them.
Luther, Zwingli, Melancthon, and many other heretics were priests.  There is no reason not to publicly rebuke them, now or when they were alive.  Keep praying for them, yes, but they also need to be rebuked, even by the laity.

There is a very famous episode when one of the patriarchs of Constantinople, many centuries ago, was attacking the Blessed Virgin in his homily.  One of the lay people stood up and denounced him to his face in front of the whole congregation. 

Silence can be a sin of omission.  We need to pray for prudence in this matter, but silence in the face of grave evil is not a Catholic response.
And it isn't always true that "the pope will handle those cardinals."  In fact, in reading the history of the papacy, one thing that stands out is the inaction of many popes in the face of evil that they could have and should have addressed but did not.

Our first duty is to God and the salvation of our souls by the living of our faith.  If anyone attacks those things, no matter who it is, Catholics, no matter what their rank, have a privilege and a duty to respond accordingly.

The fact that Catholic lay persons may rebuke their erring prelates does not mean that they have stopped praying for those prelates.  My observation is that Catholics who are prone to publicly rebuke their prelates are more prone to pray for them than those who keep silent in the face of error.

Messages In This Thread
To all forum members: Criticism of priests - by DJR - 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM