To all forum members: Criticism of priests
<FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">
DJR Wrote:But history is also full of people who rebuked those above them, yet they also continued to pray for them.</FONT><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif">Luther, Zwingli, Melancthon, and many other heretics were priests.  There is no reason not to publicly rebuke them, now or when they were alive.  Keep praying for them, yes, but they also need to be rebuked, even by the laity.

There is a very famous episode when one of the patriarchs of Constantinople, many centuries ago, was attacking the Blessed Virgin in his homily.  One of the lay people stood up and denounced him to his face in front of the whole congregation. 

Silence can be a sin of omission.  We need to pray for prudence in this matter, but silence in the face of grave evil is not a Catholic response.
</FONT>
<FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"></FONT> 
<FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000000 size=2>I don't think LaRoza was suggesting that we always keep silent. There are circumstances that compel us as Christians to speak out. I am thinking of an incident about ten years ago in our parish where a visiting priest said something unorthodox from the pulpit. Quite a few people in the congregation got up and walked out during his sermon. Many others made their displeasure known, both in letters to the bishop and complaints to the pastor. I don't know whatever happened to the visiting priest as a result, I only know he never "visited" OUR parish again! </FONT><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"> </FONT><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000000 size=2>Now the proper protocol in real life situations is to talk to the pastor first, then write to the bishop. I can *hear* the eyeballs rolling at the latter, as many of us have received that polite form letter from the bishop's secretary. But that's still the proper procedure, and if enough people make a racket, something will happen. So, yes, it is our duty to speak when abuses happen and, no, we don't have to be doormats. </FONT><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"> </FONT><FONT size=2><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"><FONT color=#000000>However.. C</FONT><FONT color=#000000>oming on the Internet and spreading gossip about priests; judging not just what they do, but judging the intentions of their hearts and the condition of their souls, is a whole different matter. I was guilty of this in a thread over a year ago, and made a public apology. These days I try to be careful and think before I type.</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"> </FONT><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000000 size=2>LaRoza's exact words were: "We all can condemn liturgical abuses and heresies without criticizing </FONT><FONT color=#000000><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>a priest specifically." I think that as far as Internet forums go, this is good advice. Let's be honest. It takes guts to confront a priest to his face, or to address a letter to the bishop with our signature on it. It takes no guts at all to shoot fiery darts across the world wide web behind a mask of anonymity. Yet God is keeping track of all of our names. </FONT></FONT><FONT face=Arial></FONT><FONT color=#000000><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>
</FONT></FONT><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#000000 size=2>- Lisa</FONT>

Messages In This Thread
To all forum members: Criticism of priests - by SCG - 02-13-2009, 09:31 PM