Ridding ourselves of occasions of sin by use of objects
Jacafamala Wrote:Perhaps you shouldn't even be showing the Sacred and Immaculate hearts in your sig line, as they aren't covered?

They don't cause temptations.
luigi Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:Perhaps you shouldn't even be showing the Sacred and Immaculate hearts in your sig line, as they aren't covered?

Luigi, a woman's face doesn't cause temptations either.  The rise of temptations is within the tempted person.
luigi Wrote:

So, I should get rid of my statues of the saints? Or else I should make coverings for them? What of it, Luigi?

Edited to add: can a blind man be tempted to lust?
Edited edited: The miraculous Medal, which is indeed in each and every posting of yours was given to us by the Blessed Mother via the "hands" of St. Catherine Laboure. Yet she never covered her face.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Jacafamala Wrote:Edited to add: can a blind man be tempted to lust?

Yes, watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights (warning, it can cause people to laugh)
luigi Wrote:The point is that one should try to avoid things that are not suited to their state; hence learning languages for one who doesn't need to use them is a waste of time, in my opinion.

As I said, personal devotions are great, but do not impose them on others. You cannot judge others. You are in no position to say whether my efforts are wasted, and even to insinuate that they are is probably quite disrespectful.

Your opinion has no weight or authority, and expressing it in this way is quite pointless. What is the purpose of saying that to someone who states they are learning a language besides to condemn it or cause doubt in the efforts? All things must have a purpose you know.
miss_fluffy Wrote:
luigi Wrote:

Luigi, a woman's face doesn't cause temptations either.  The rise of temptations is within the tempted person.

Couldn't you say the same thing about any tempting object or image?

Perhaps what you mean to say is that a woman's face should not cause temptation for a healthy person? Looking directly at an attractive woman, particularly in the eyes, can certainly be an occasion of temptation and sin, don't you agree?
luigi Wrote:One always have better things to read than languages, unless if you are a missionary learning the natives' language or a seminarian learning Latin. St. Teresa forbade her nuns to study Latin because it's not useful for them.

Why are you saying this? Where in the Church does it say that we should not learn language unless we are a missionary or learning Latin?

A nun is sworn to be obedient and to serve. Their superiors may order other things that are appropriate for nuns. It has nothing to do with the subject itself for other people not under their authority because the Church is in the position to determine what is right and wrong for all people. I have no superior which forbids anything I have done and the Church neither forbids it. You have no right to even hint at it, especially when you have no idea why I'm learning the languages of India and Pakistan (among others) or what else I read.
Telemaque Wrote:Couldn't you say the same thing about any tempting object or image?

Perhaps what you mean to say is that a woman's face should not cause temptation for a healthy person? Looking directly at an attractive woman, particularly in the eyes, can certainly be an occasion of temptation and sin, don't you agree?

Thinking about a women can be a source (in fact, it is more of a source of possible temptation to me rather than real people).

There comes a time when the temptation is between the person and the demon causing it, rather than the person who is the means of temptation. By this sort of logic, instead of following the Church's instruction to be modest and chaste, we'd be locked away in towers to avoid being the means of temptations of others.
LaRoza Wrote:
luigi Wrote:One always have better things to read than languages, unless if you are a missionary learning the natives' language or a seminarian learning Latin. St. Teresa forbade her nuns to study Latin because it's not useful for them.

Why are you saying this? Where in the Church does it say that we should not learn language unless we are a missionary or learning Latin?

A nun is sworn to be obedient and to serve. Their superiors may order other things that are appropriate for nuns. It has nothing to do with the subject itself for other people not under their authority because the Church is in the position to determine what is right and wrong for all people. I have no superior which forbids anything I have done and the Church neither forbids it. You have no right to even hint at it, especially when you have no idea why I'm learning the languages of India and Pakistan (among others) or what else I read.

What is important is the reason for which St. Teresa forbade her nuns to learn Latin. It's not useful to them. It's the same reason that St. Alphonsus forbade his seminarians the extensive study of Greek:
Quote:He ordained that printed books should be used, instead of dictating the lessons—Italian poetry and romances were prohibited. Greek he did not deem necessary : "It is very good in the East," said he, "but for us in the West, Latin is what we want. My diocese requires good confessors, who may aid me in saving the souls of the poor country people." However, he wished as much Greek to be studied as would enable the pupils to understand certain passages that occur in the philosophical and theological course.
http://books.google.com/books?id=GagrAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA292&dq=%22Greek+he+did+not++deem+necessary%22&ei=mA6WSYnwKJyqMuGH7KQJ#PPA293,M1

If you are learning those languages for good reason you could share the reason.
luigi Wrote:What is important is the reason for which St. Teresa forbade her nuns to learn Latin.
Yes, they were nuns and she was their superior. I am not a nun, and have no such superior.

Quote:It's not useful to them.
Yes, it was not useful to them. So what?

Quote: It's the same reason that St. Alphonsus forbade his seminarians the extensive study of Greek:
However, he wished as much Greek to be studied as would enable the pupils to understand certain passages that occur in the philosophical and theological course.
Yes, he held a position of authority. In addition, the availability of books would not be as great and they would be at study for things they needed for their course. I can get a three books on a language for less than $50 and without even getting up from my chair. I am not a seminarian and those reasonings are completely valid for their context.

My college removed pointless courses from their curriculum for the same reason. They were not useful for the course.

Quote:If you are learning those languages for good reason you could share the reason.

No, I will not justify myself. You instead should show any wrongdoing and if you cannot, refrain from commenting on my choices instead of trying to force me to defend my actions. That is very rude and not at all the way I expect to be treated by other Catholics or, indeed, anyone else.