Ridding ourselves of occasions of sin by use of objects
Quote:If you are learning those languages for good reason you could share the reason.

Let me retract this statement and replace it with:

If you are learning those languages for good reason but wish to keep it private, you could say that 'I am learning the languages because they are useful to me, but I want to keep the reasons private.'
luigi Wrote:
Quote:If you are learning those languages for good reason you could share the reason.

Let me retract this statement and replace it with:

If you are learning those languages for good reason but wish to keep it private, you could say that 'I am learning the languages because they are useful to me, but I want to keep the reasons private.'

No, I should not be assumed to be doing something bad or improper by default. Assume I'm doing something with the greater good of God in mind unless you have evidence otherwise.

If I state I'm doing something that is sinful or is in most circumstances sinful, then you may be right in asking for my reason, but the Church has never in anyway condemned the learning of languages. I already stated that although I intend to read a book which has a place in the religions of India and I stated my reason to alleviate any fear of sinful reasons.

Why think you that I need to give a good reason? Why think you that I study these subjects?
I wonder if these examples you're showing of basket hats were worn simply to shade farm workers from the sun.
miss_fluffy Wrote:I wonder if these examples you're showing of basket hats were worn simply to shade farm workers from the sun.

I wonder if you're going to come to the realization that Luigi is serious about this stuff that is way off to one extreme.

He's posting things from the saints that he is expecting us to take literally and in our own lives.
Head-covering through the centuries
Let Luigi preach, he is not doing any harm. At best his examples can help us make some reassessments about our own habits, reawaken our spiritual lives and hasten the path to sanctity.
Telemaque Wrote:Head-covering through the centuries

Interesting site.

It helps us to see more clearly how public modesty in dress went completely down the drain in this last century, especially in the last 50 years.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:
miss_fluffy Wrote:I wonder if these examples you're showing of basket hats were worn simply to shade farm workers from the sun.

I wonder if you're going to come to the realization that Luigi is serious about this stuff that is way off to one extreme.
Even so, that's still no excuse for ad hominem attacks.  When people start posting haphazardly, criticizing luigi's posts, it starts to look like they're criticizing the saints.  And I find that distasteful.

I completely disagree with many things luigi has said, but I don't think it's right to resort to saying things like "what a load of poo-poo" like others have.

That's the most likely explanation. luigi is absolutely incorrect to suggest that basket hats were a typical expression of Confucian piety. The more typical form of men's hat in Korea was the gat, which somewhat resembles 17th century pilgrim hats:

[Image: 450px-Korea-gat-01.jpg]

The development of Korean fashion, in regard to headgear, is actually similar to that of the West. In the 1700's, it was popular for Korean women to wear wigs, but this was banned by the Emperor in 1788, and small hats called jokduri were promoted instead.

[Image: 799px-Korean_headgear-Jokduri-01A.jpg]
Quote:
He's posting things from the saints that he is expecting us to take literally and in our own lives.

Really? Have you been reading both this and the curl thread? Given what he's said about arousing lust in people via looking at faces in both this and also in the curl thread, am I to assume I can't look on the face of a saint? Am I to assume we need to make covers for statuary of the saints?

And what about Holy Communion? Is it a near occasion of sin for a priest and altar server to administer Holy Communion to a woman if they can see a tongue, a neck and a chin? This is all absurd.
He still hasn't answered me. I am waiting for his reply, because to me he seems more Muslim than Christian..........
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.