Ridding ourselves of occasions of sin by use of objects
miss_fluffy Wrote:I wonder if these examples you're showing of basket hats were worn simply to shade farm workers from the sun.

No; it was a type of hat used specifically used for women whenever they went out the house. http://www.encyber.com/search_w/ctdetail.php?gs=ws&gd=&cd=&d=&k=&inqr=&indme=&p=1&q=%BB%F1%B0%AB&masterno=86908&contentno=86908
부녀자들이 외출할 때 내외를 하기 위한 삿갓은 더 크고 깊게 만들어 썼다
(Satgat [conical hat] for the purpose of 내외 while going out was made more big and deep.)
내외2
avoidance of the opposite sex;men and women keeping away from each other

Answer me Luigi, please answer me. You keep avoiding my questions here. Please see my previous post.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Jacafamala Wrote:Answer me Luigi, please answer me. You keep avoiding my questions here. Please see my previous post.

Sorry, I was thinking about it. I'm not sure.
Somehow we're all secretly bashing something pious when reading a book that is neutral in content, and thusly we should remain mired in ignorance of what really went on, especially in this time and age when accusations are made against the Church all the time? It's quite clear that Eustochium was deliberately excluding pious works for the vain reason of them not sounding good enough.
luigi Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:Answer me Luigi, please answer me. You keep avoiding my questions here. Please see my previous post.

Sorry, I was thinking about it. I'm not sure.

Honest and fair enough.
Edited to add: HK, your pictures are too big and are throwing the proportions off on my screen.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Jacafamala Wrote:
Quote:
He's posting things from the saints that he is expecting us to take literally and in our own lives.

Really? Have you been reading both this and the curl thread? Given what he's said about arousing lust in people via looking at faces in both this and also in the curl thread, am I to assume I can't look on the face of a saint? Am I to assume we need to make covers for statuary of the saints?

And what about Holy Communion? Is it a near occasion of sin for a priest and altar server to administer Holy Communion to a woman if they can see a tongue, a neck and a chin? This is all absurd.
He still hasn't answered me. I am waiting for his reply, because to me he seems more Muslim than Christian..........

Isn't that what you said about me as well? Luigi is the most Catholic person here.
[Image: afraidsmiley.gif]

PS: Luigi- I use thin blankets as well. And no pillow, and I sleep on a bamboo mat. ;)
Bonifacio Wrote:
Telemaque Wrote:Head-covering through the centuries

Interesting site.

It helps us to see more clearly how public modesty in dress went completely down the drain in this last century, especially in the last 50 years.

The site makes a few false statements, such as this one:

Quote:The early Christian women veiled their heads not only in church, but also anytime they were in public.

From my later study of church history, I discovered that Christian women continued to maintain this practice through the all centuries up to the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

That is absolutely not true. From the Renaissance onward, lay women usually wore their hair uncovered indoors, and sometimes outdoors too. Women wearing headcovers outdoors, outside of church, was generally a point of fashion or practicality (particularly in the age of intense outdoor labour and before central heating), not Christian modesty.

Portrait of Giovanna Tornabuoni, 1488:

[Image: 339px-Giovanna_Tornabuoni_full_length.jpg]

Leonardo da Vinci's La Belle Ferronnière :

[Image: 412px-La_Belle_Ferroni%C3%A8re.jpg]

Rex_Tremendae Wrote:Luigi is the most Catholic person here.

luigi is a sedevacantist, and thus separated from the Catholic Church.
Luigi is a sede?
luigi Wrote:
Spooky Wrote:So....... no Dean Koontz? What about books on nursing because thats what I read last night.  If linguistics are a waste of time for someone studying them, then I guess books on nursing (breastfeeding) are too not being profitable to my soul.

The point is that one should try to avoid things that are not suited to their state; hence learning languages for one who doesn't need to use them is a waste of time, in my opinion.

We are also to use our God-given talents. So learning a language, or anything really, even for the recreational purpose of exercising the mind, is acceptable.
Jacafamala Wrote:Edited to add: HK, your pictures are too big and are throwing the proportions off on my screen.

I fixed the image of the Korean hat to be smaller. Is that better?

I admit, I have an unfair advantage with my 24" widescreen monitor.