Ridding ourselves of occasions of sin by use of objects
No reason you can't do both. Biblical (koine) Greek is pretty easy. I liked it better than Latin because it's more an artistic, expressive language.
LaRoza Wrote:It is my goal to learn Hindi and Urdu very well, but I also plan on getting a firm grasp of Classical Latin, Classical Sanskrit and Classical Arabic. (I know a bit of German and Spanish, but I do not plan on studying them to the same depth as Hindi).

Hellenophile's don't even say it. I'm learning the classical languages and just because they don't tickle your fancy, tough.

I learned Classical Latin in high school, along with English, French and German. Simultaneously my Latin teacher gave me some hints on Classical Greek but I never progressed beyond simple reading and case declension. I loved Latin though and I still do.

Since then, I've studied Modern Greek for two years at University and I learned a bit of Classical Arabic, Modern Turkish, Hungarian and Russian on my own. However I can only speak English and Spanish confidently, besides my mother tongue. As for French, German, Italian and Greek it depends on the difficulty of the subject but I can't really say I'm proficient in any of them, especially the latter.

What drives you to learn Hindi and Urdu? I'm curious.
Bonifacio Wrote:What drives you to learn Hindi and Urdu? I'm curious.

They are the national languages of India and Pakistan.
Anastasia Wrote:No reason you can't do both. Biblical (koine) Greek is pretty easy. I liked it better than Latin because it's more an artistic, expressive language.

I'll have to look more into it. I may have to steal the book as I'm out of money.
LaRoza Wrote:They are the national languages of India and Pakistan.

That much I already knew.
Now learning a language is bad?

Do people know that at certain times, Bibles were banned for fear of abuse?

If St. Theresa forbade her nuns from learning Latin than she had a darn good reason for that. She was also a Carmelite and was in fact reforming the entire Order which had gone lax. St. Theresa never forbade Latin to anyone else and for someone to come on this board and say that this is basically the 'Catholic way' than they are surely mistaken.

St. Bernadette, at our Lady's request, started eating mud. Are we going to add that to our diet now?

St. Rose of Lime ruined her hair to chase away suitors. Did any other saint do this? Did our Lady?

This is definetly getting unhealthy. Never has the Church directed that Catholics follow everything the saints did as if they were the Law. It would be impossible to follow all of the saints' ways as they were all DIFFERENT and followed different lifestyles.

I am not in any way criticising what these saints did. These could have been great FOR THEM. Notice they never made anyone else do this either.

And really. If people are going to condemn ringlets, blankets, good tasting food, and learning Latin( I guess all those SSPX and FSSP Latin and French teachers are going to burn for teaching their evil in their parish high schools)than what are you doing, as someone here put it so eloquently, "tinkering" on the internet for?

Bonifacio Wrote:Let Luigi preach, he is not doing any harm. At best his examples can help us make some reassessments about our own habits, reawaken our spiritual lives and hasten the path to sanctity.

I agree.
Rex_Tremendae Wrote:
Jacafamala Wrote:
Quote:
He's posting things from the saints that he is expecting us to take literally and in our own lives.

Really? Have you been reading both this and the curl thread? Given what he's said about arousing lust in people via looking at faces in both this and also in the curl thread, am I to assume I can't look on the face of a saint? Am I to assume we need to make covers for statuary of the saints?

And what about Holy Communion? Is it a near occasion of sin for a priest and altar server to administer Holy Communion to a woman if they can see a tongue, a neck and a chin? This is all absurd.
He still hasn't answered me. I am waiting for his reply, because to me he seems more Muslim than Christian..........

Isn't that what you said about me as well? Luigi is the most Catholic person here.
[Image: afraidsmiley.gif]

PS: Luigi- I use thin blankets as well. And no pillow, and I sleep on a bamboo mat. ;)
When? Where did I say this about you? I don't remember. Yes, I know you also have some silly ideas  about women needing to cover their faces, but in your case, I think it's the foolishness of youth. And for some reason, I like you... I don't know how old Luigi is, but he's awfully austere and preachy and yet doesn't have answers to back it all up. Can you answer my questions above? Because as yet, Luigi can't. You're both inventing pseudo Catholic religions for yourselves. If that's what you want, fine you can have it but don't expect me to buy into it.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Rex deleated his account. You won't be getting an answer. He's having a crisis of faith so please pray.
didishroom Wrote:Rex deleated his account. You won't be getting an answer. He's having a crisis of faith so please pray.

I am praying; I've been praying for him all along. Rex, if you're reading this, I've got two convents of nuns praying for you as well.

Such bad news.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.