Novus Ordo Confessionals
A convention used very often in movies with confessional scenes is that the screen slides back to reveal the priest's face if the penitent wants a face-to-face. I've never actually seen this in real life, and was wondering if this was a Hollywood invention or not.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:A convention used very often in movies with confessional scenes is that the screen slides back to reveal the priest's face if the penitent wants a face-to-face. I've never actually seen this in real life, and was wondering if this was a Hollywood invention or not.

I've seen things like it, but I have not seen it like that. It is plausible though.

I have also never seen that in a movie. Any particular ones?
LaRoza Wrote:I have also never seen that in a movie. Any particular ones?

The only one I can think of right off the top of my head right now is The Man in the Iron Mask. Yes, the one with DiCaprio.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:I have also never seen that in a movie. Any particular ones?

The only one I can think of right off the top of my head right now is The Man in the Iron Mask. Yes, the one with DiCaprio.

Going to confess with a mask makes the screen moot anyway.

Maybe we should do that more often? luigi, there is an idea for you :)
LaRoza Wrote:Going to confess with a mask makes the screen moot anyway.

Wait.... oh, I can't believe I forgot! CARNIVAL MASKS! That's how the Venetians kept their identities secret. One of my favourite Catholic societies.

See how they're covered from head to toe. Should fit even the most rigorous standards of modesty perfectly.

[Image: venetian10_gallery__600x400.jpg]

[Image: venetian13_gallery__266x400.jpg]

I'm gonna start a new thread now.
The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:Going to confess with a mask makes the screen moot anyway.

Wait.... oh, I can't believe I forgot! CARNIVAL MASKS! That's how the Venetians kept their identities secret. One of my favourite Catholic societies.

See how they're covered from head to toe. Should fit even the most rigorous standards of modesty perfectly.

luigi will be pleased :)

Anywhere we can get these?
LaRoza Wrote:luigi will be pleased :)

Anywhere we can get these?

To buy? The really good ones are available on sites in Europe, and they can get expensive, depending on how intricate they are. Here's one mask shop.

This site is American. It's my favourite so far. They actually have a bridal mask... if you want to pay $695.

[Image: WeddingMaskBride.jpg]
maso Wrote:Stevus,
I agree with you. The old confessional box looked like a symbol of a bygone age to the post VatII thurifers. That was the very reason it was rejected and demolished when this was possible.
But the long excerpts that Harlequin King quoted on the dangerous promiscuity between women and priests in the past before the use of the confessional was implemented show that the same causes will bring the same effects and that the face to face confessions today are probably leading a number priests to sin with their penitent women.
Like the communion in the hand currently is found to be the cause of a number of abuses and desecrations that already existed in the early times and led the Church to enforce the communion on the tongue.

Maso,

Indeed. People forget why these practices were abandoned in the first place. Aren't we supposed to learn from history? Oh well...
Since the Sacrament of Confession (Penance) is a Sacrament, I feel we need the ceremony and "trappings" which have been in place for hundreds of years.  Today, Confession (Penance) has been so dumbed down, it's meaningless to many Catholics (to their own detriment).  We need the old confession formulas (the confiteor, thees and thous, etc.), we need the dark and draped confessional booths, we need the voice behind the thick purple curtain pronouncing absolution in Latin.

All of this psudeo-psychiatric theatre Catholics today are being subjected to is horrible.  In my parish we're trying to replace our beautiful old confessional booths which were ripped out and thrown in the garbage 30 years ago.  And now I'm being told that there is some resistance in the Archdiocese to our planned traditional booths because there won't be anyplace for face to face confessions.  Well, too bad.  That's what the sacristy is for, in my opinion.  Too bad for those who wish to have face to face Confession and need to go some place else in the parish (like the sacristy) other than the normal place for Confession....in a confessional booth.

I know I may sound harsh, but people, the dumbing down has to stop somewhere.