Vatican buries the hatchet with Charles Darwin
Archbishop Ravasi should read this...

http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives...linski.htm

This kind of stuff infuriates me, because on the one hand I have no explanation for Genesis, while on the other these evolutionists are so full of crap their eyes are brown.
Funny I just posted this to my facebook. What if our modern egalitarians met the REAL Charles Darwin (or even bothered to actually read his books and letters)

http://curmudgeonjoy.blogspot.com/2009/0...guest.html

First, I won't give credence to Timesonline or any of the liberal media. They distort the truth.

Quote:A leading official declared yesterday that Darwin’s theory of evolution was compatible with Christian faith, and could even be traced to St Augustine and St Thomas Aquinas.

Darwin’s theories had never been formally condemned by the Roman Catholic Church, Monsignor Ravasi insisted. His rehabilitation had begun as long ago as 1950, when Pius XII described evolution as a valid scientific approach to the development of humans. In 1996 John Paul II said that it was “more than a hypothesis”.

Are we supposed to dig up the citations for the above references? This is a kind of yellow journalism: "So and So said so and therefore it's true." Where did they say that?

Didn't Fr. Pierre Teilhard de Chardin get in very hot water for the "Peking Man" hoax? Until the missing link is found to connect homo sapiens with the simians, it's hogwash. The link will never be found because there is no link. Micro evolution is what is not being denied. It's macro evolution that is the problem and the scientists are making it believed that it's a fact.

StevusMagnus Wrote:Archbishop Ravasi should read this...

http://www.remnantnewspaper.com/Archives...linski.htm

True, he should, but he won't.
Did the Vatican ever officially "bury the hatchet" with Galileo and his theories? I don't know about humans descending from monkeys, but we all know now that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I believe JP2 mentioned something about regretting how the whole scenario with Galileo was handled by the Church or inquisitors and then Cardinal Ratzinger talked very highly of Galileo as well.

But I don't believe the Church ever admitted to any error or wrongful treatment of the Astronomer to this day.
alaric Wrote:Did the Vatican ever officially "bury the hatchet" with Galileo and his theories? I don't know about humans descending from monkeys, but we all know now that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I believe JP2 mentioned something about regretting how the whole scenario with Galileo was handled by the Church or inquisitors and then Cardinal Ratzinger talked very highly of Galileo as well.

But I don't believe the Church ever admitted to any error or wrongful treatment of the Astronomer to this day.

Galileo was a fool. The earth revolving around the sun was not the issue. Kepler already stated this and had a good (still valid) theory on it (elliptical orbits). Galileo was arrogant and wrong. He stubbornly stuck to circular orbits (Copernicus) which was outdated but attractive because it had perfect circles. Galileo was insulting and violated the rules of the Church and was chastised for it, but despite the propaganda, he was never tortured and in fact they never would have for any reason because he was too old.

The reason why the Church may express sorrow is purely political. They can be sorry about the incident, mostly mostly because of the grief it caused later, rather than the incident itself. Galileo is over rated, like Edison.
The Church never held a position on Helio/Geo Centirsm.

Galileo was an upitty and disobedient scientist who started using Scripture to back up his claims making him a 'suspect of heresy.' The Inquisition eventually removed even this claim and had him under arrest for disobeying and mocking the pope in one his publications.

The Church still has no position on Helio/Geo Centrism. I think even Augustine said it does not matter how the planets and stars revolve.
LaRoza Wrote:
alaric Wrote:Did the Vatican ever officially "bury the hatchet" with Galileo and his theories? I don't know about humans descending from monkeys, but we all know now that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Galileo was a fool. The earth revolving around the sun was not the issue. Kepler already stated this and had a good (still valid) theory on it (elliptical orbits). Galileo was arrogant and wrong. He stubbornly stuck to circular orbits (Copernicus) which was outdated but attractive because it had perfect circles. Galileo was insulting and violated the rules of the Church and was chastised for it, but despite the propaganda, he was never tortured and in fact they never would have for any reason because he was too old.

The reason why the Church may express sorrow is purely political. They can be sorry about the incident, mostly mostly because of the grief it caused later, rather than the incident itself. Galileo is over rated, like Edison.
I think you are way out of line with that statement, perhaps he was standing on the shoulders of a genius (Copernicus) and didn't explain away heliocentrism as Pope Urban expected him to or even rigidly adhered to the "rules" of the Vatican of the day as you implied, But the man was no doubt a genius.
The father of modern Astronomy was anything but a fool.
alaric Wrote:
LaRoza Wrote:

I think you are way out of line with that statement, perhaps he was standing on the shoulders of a genius (Copernicus) and didn't explain away heliocentrism as Pope Urban expected him to or even rigidly adhered to the "rules" of the Vatican of the day as you implied, But the man was no doubt a genius.
The father of modern Astronomy was anything but a fool.

I was saying he was a fool in that incident, not over all. I do think he was over rated, but most highly acclaimed scientists are over rated. How many people know Kepler? His theories were truly beautiful and most of all, correct.

He was wrong. The orbits were not circles and he had no right to do what he did (the theory itself was not the issue).

I believe Salza is bit weird on this issue, but the timeline of the Galileo incident is pretty good and shows what Galileo did to cause the Church to rebuke him: http://www.scripturecatholic.com/geocentrism.html

Compare Galileo with Kepler: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler#Harmonices_Mundi

Not only was Kepler right and a genius, he did not the things Galileo did to insult the Church, while at the same time breaking new grounds in science.

See here: Kepler had the truth and Galileo stuck with his preconception and rejected Kepler's work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo#Gal...s_of_tides

Galileo may have been smart, but in this part of his life, for which he is famous, he was wrong and arrogant. Kepler was right and Galileo rejected his work to stick with his own preconceptions making up fantastic arguments to support them. Not a great moment in science.