Joseph Stalin appears in church icon, adds to rumors of canonization
anamchara Wrote:But can a Catholic in good conscience level such a harsh and sweeping charge against the entire ROC?  Diabolical?  The ROC has apostolic succession and valid sacraments, no?

The ROC is a schismatic church and thus doing the work of Satan.
Since I read of what happened to the ROC after the Bolshevik Revolution I have trusted it little.

And it's obvious the Icon is a fake when the subject is painted in a very Byzantine fashion while Stalin looks like he was simply doctored in for propaganda's sake. No person in an icon simply ignores the subject; they either look toward them or downward or away in shame, fear, or morning. Stalin is doing neither. Any iconographer could take one glance at this and know it was a fake. Also, no person in an icon has their hands in their pockets, the hands are always exposed and in some gesture of some sort.

Stalin will never be canonized, but that has not stopped the Eastern Schismatics from canonizing people simply because they like them (their process is much more localized though, and much less authoritative).

I know Greek Schismatics who hold up Harold Godwinson of England as a martyr for the faith because he died fighting the papist William of Normandy. Some have even considered Emperor Theodosius (the Christian emperor who slaughtered people in a collosium, he was forgiven but hardly worth venerating), Emperor Justinian, and even Emperor Constantine (Who was a good man but far from saintly in his example), simply because they are monarchs who did a lot for the Faith, not because their lives are of great example for others to follow.

Apparently being a good sponsor is better than loving Christ in the eyes of these people.
The heresies of the ROC go back beyond even the Bolshevik Revolution. All through the 18th and 19th centuries they flirted variously with Protestantism, theosophy, Russian folk beliefs and Eastern religion--to a degree that would make even today's N.O. crazies blush. That's what happens when you cast your lot with various earthly princes instead of Peter. (Ironic how they condemn us for allegedly worshipping the Pope, whereas in their religion they turned the Czar/Stalin/Putin into a demi-god.)

Their calumny doesn't stop at Rome, of course. They also despise Constantinople and would like nothing more than to usurp its claims within "orthodoxy" and assume worldwide leadership of Christianity, with the Russian State taking the place of the Emperor. They have a whole heretical mysticism devoted to it. It's quite sickening.
Bonifacio Wrote:
anamchara Wrote:But can a Catholic in good conscience level such a harsh and sweeping charge against the entire ROC?  Diabolical?  The ROC has apostolic succession and valid sacraments, no?

The ROC is a schismatic church and thus doing the work of Satan.

I'd like to point out as with all things, this is the concept, not the individuals. One cannot judge individuals, only pray for them and give the information when needed.