Bp W Column, 2.14.08
Had only "Joe the Plumber" been named "Richard," things might have gone down differently.  [Image: smile.gif]

The comparison does not have to be perfect.  King Richard was willing to fight to take back Holy Land.  So is bishop Williamson.  King Richard was known to inspire his troops and trouble his enemies by his sheer physical presence.  Anyone who has ever been in the room with bishop Williamson knows that he radiates a charisma that is usually only exhibited by players on the world stage. 
didishroom Wrote:Why would you compare Williamson with Richard the Lion-Hearted?

Both of them got in trouble by concentrating upon thing other than their main job. 

Catholics should remember that Church property was confiscated by the Crown in order to raise Richard's ransom.
"Why would you compare Williamson with Richard the Lion-Hearted?"

Give it up. Please. You're so predictable.
Edited:  I passed on a claim I couldn't confirm.  Sorry!

I read Bishop W.'s post.  I have not seen the film in question, nor do I plan to.  I am willing to concede that the scene of Streep's nun breaking down may have been meant as a criticism of the Church.  Maybe the writers want it to look like she has had only human faith.  I don't know.  But Bishop W. seems to base this solely on the fact that she is weeping.  Aren't we supposed to "weep now," so as to "laugh later"?  If a woman were to see a child molester promoted and prove incapable of stopping it -- wouldn't even a woman who had faith in God be prone to weep over this?  Good grief.  I think that Bishop Williamson lowers himself when he speaks on movies and plays (like "Sound of Music"). 
Okay, I see now that Bishop Williamson notes that the movie does not show her putting herself back together again after weeping.  Well, dramatically speaking, such a scene might have been anti-climactic. 

Now THAT was good! [Image: waytogo.gif] If he stuck to saying things like that he'd be more genuinely respected by all serious Catholics.